HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Question about compounded progesterone vs. Prometrium Question about compounded progesterone vs. Prometrium

Unread 11-26-2004, 11:55 AM
question for ladies!!!

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the natural compounded postergerone pill and the Prometrium pill??.......... my doctor switched me to the prometruim pill and i swear i am having mild breat pain.......any one use Prometruim??..........Thanks....Bellame:confuse:
Unread 11-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Question about compounded progesterone vs. Prometrium

Hi Bellame

I've split your question off to a thread of its own so it doesn't get missed.

If I'm not mistaken, the Prometrium pills are usually prescribed at the 100 mg strength. Did your doctor say how that compares to the progesterone cream you were using? Why did your doctor change you to Prometrium?

s
Unread 11-26-2004, 02:29 PM

Hi Bellame

As (((April Dawn))) said, Prometrium comes in 100mg strength. Period. Compounded progesterone capsules can be made up in any strength your DR chooses (for example, when I tried them I had 50mg).

The other difference is that Prometrium is micronized in a peanut oil base and is not suitable for women with peanut allergies. Compounded progesterone capsules can be made up in any other oil base you specify... a boon to women with nut allergies.

If you're using a high dose of progesterone, it's possible that some of it may be converting to estrogen, especially if you have ovaries. That may explain the breast pain.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-28-2004, 05:13 PM
surferbabe

I'm taking 100 mgs. prometrium every day and have severe breast pain. I've always had some pain but it has gotten much worse. I go back to the Dr in December and will discuss this. Thanks for the info. You have a wealth of knowledge to share with us!

PS. Vitamin E is helping with the pain tremendously.
Unread 12-01-2004, 11:00 AM
breat pain too

i am going to see my ob/gyn too... this breast pain is only in one breast and in the excat same spot... it comes and goes, but has me feeling scared.......i take that 100mg of Prometruim.... i seem to do better on the natural compounded progesterone......so i,ll see what the doctor says.........Thanks Ladies....Bellame
Unread 12-01-2004, 11:37 AM

Hi,
I took Prometrium for several years -- both with estrogen, and later without estrogen. I believe it is biologically equivalent to progesterone. When I was taking it for menopausal symptoms, my doctor had me take one pill (100 mg.) every OTHER day. I kept hoping the company would come out with a 50 mg. pill, but it never happened while I was taking it. Right now, I'm taking estrogen but NO progesterone, and I'm still having slight breast pain, so I suspect it's the estrogen that is causing it. If you feel better taking the compounded progesterone, that's reason enough to keep taking it (unless there's some medical reason not to take it). . . . If your pain is only in one breast, it doesn't sound like something caused by hormones, but I'm not a medical person. Going to the doctor is probably the best thing to do. Good luck !

Barbara
Unread 12-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Breat pain

i know that is why i am puzzled....it is not like breast tenderness or sore, you get before a period or something......it,s like dull pinch or ach........first i thought it was my chest or heart, but it is coming from the breast.....so i,ll let ya know what the doctor says......bellame

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway