HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

2 years Post Op-Seroma 2 years Post Op-Seroma

Unread 11-30-2004, 09:59 AM
2 years Post Op-Seroma

Ok I'll post here too maybe get some answers!??

I had a seroma with my surgery back in Sept. of 02 I WAS DEVISTATED! It has affected my life terribly. Where the incision was now all the skin is "hanging" both over the incision and below (pubic bone) the skin is loose and flabby. It's so embarrasing that I couldn't be intimate with anyone so have been alone every sence. (I have tried too) I went to a cosmetic surgeon but my ins. comp seems to be stalling, I havent heard weather they will fix it or not and its been 3 monthas now. the doc told me (back when it happened) that some water was left in there possibly.
Is anyone else "flabby" like that years postop?

this was original post:

I'm new to Sisters what a great place to gain my mind back I thought I was the only one going through this. I am TAH,BSO on Sept 23 doing great post operative except for SEROMA at the incision site, the whole insicion has opened up and I too have to pack and clean it 3 times a day. After the surgery the skin below the insicion was red and swollen it felt like it was going to explode and it hurt so bad. It was about 3x3x11/2" deep. No one was really concerned so I wasnt either until I called the Doc and told them I needed to come in and have them look at it. Well when I got in the room they started to drain it and I couldnt see but felt ALOT of WARM stuff down there, I knew they were getting alot of drainage. The doc said that maybe some water was left in there when they were closing during the surgery, which made me think " And I have to go through all this pain for....?" Then her associate told me that *we* (surgeons) take this kind of thing (the seroma) "personal" What did she mean?
Anyway here it is 4 weeks post op and Im still dealing with this HUGE hole 3 times a day. I will have to go back to work in 2 weeks as I'm a single mom and don't have anyone to help. Instructions are to clean this wound 3 times a day but I work outside and have no way to clean it as prescriped. So My question is..... Is anyone over 8-10 weeks post op with seroma? And would going back to work like this hurt me or is this something I should be worried about?
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:35 AM
2 years Post Op-Seroma

Lakota,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this situation. I don't have any experience with your condition but I have a friend who had a hysterectomy last year and developed a hemotoma in her scar that left her "disfigured" in another way - - instead of the saggin skin below the scar line and into the pubic area, she had a "bubble" of sorts. It looked kind of like a balloon that was being squeezed in the middle with a string or something. The "string" being her incision line. She also had pain with hers. At any rate, she had a similar experience with her physician kind of dismissing her issues with it. I think doctors sometimes don't want to admit that their surgery created more problems than it fixed. It's almost a denial kind of thing. She ended up going to another doctor who was appalled at the condition she was left with. Because my friend continued to have pain (which turned out to be adhesions), she was able to get the insurance to cover another surgery. Her new doctor just performed the surgery to correct this problem last week and she is doing very well. She looks normal again. Anyway, thought this might help a bit. Good luck.
Unread 12-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Re:2 years Post Op-Seroma

Panda,

Thanks for replying. I wasn't sure if this is a common thing with the incision or not. But am glad to hear that your friend faired well, and that there is hope. I hope that my ins. comp. will agree to have it fixed I called them yesterday and the procedure the cosmetic surgeon requested was an abdominplasty (I think it's called) its to pull all the loose skin tight. I hope they will authorize it so I can get on with my life as a normal woman. Again thanks for the reply with a positive outcome.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.