HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Posts from the Heart > Prayer Requests for Hyster Sisters

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

God doesn’t give us more than we can handle. God doesn’t give us more than we can handle.

Unread 11-30-2004, 10:21 AM
God doesn’t give us more than we can handle.

I have heard this phrase throughout my life and was curious where it originated. I have been reading the Bible lately (something most Catholics weren’t taught when I was a wee lass – “We don’t teach you the Bible because you are not capable of understanding it. Only the priests and nuns are fit to understand the Word of God.” Hahaha…) So I looked it up. This phrase does not actually appear in the Bible, as far as I can tell. But here are some thoughts on where this phrase may have come from (I’m using the Quest Study Bible (NIV):

1 Corinthians 10:13: No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. (Temptation = any kind of test.)

Psalm 138: 7-8: Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me. The lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever – do not abandon the works of your hands. (The margin note says that the right hand symbolizes strength, power, love, honor, and authority.)

I also like para 3 here: When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted. (Ah, nothing like a results-oriented God!)

James 1:2-5: Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (The margin note says that joy, in this case, means the deep sense of well-being that comes from knowing that God is in control of everything in our lives. It is an assurance that he is constantly at work…to develop within us character traits of endurance and patience.)

1 Peter 1:6-7: In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith – of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire – may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. (Proved genuine = In Peter’s day, potters baked clay pots to give them strength. The process cracked those pots with flaws, but the ones that survived were marked with the same Greek word Peter uses here. We find out what we’re made of when our faith is tested.)

Peter also wrote, in 1:2: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

So, my thought is that, no matter how you slice it, we Sisters are Bold, Stouthearted, Faithful, and Genuine!

Anyone else have any thoughts or other Bible passages that we could consider on this matter?

:dragon:
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:31 AM

I have always heard that saying as well and I use it a lot myself. I truly believe that and I have to say it to myself when things seem to be going wrong, which is a lot lately. It helps me and comforts me.
I can't find my Bible, was looking for it after I read your post...might have to get another one, or maybe my daughter knows where hers is....anyway, I think it was Psalms 24 or 26 that starts Praise you Lord, for in thee I so put my trust.
I think that is how it goes. That was always my fav.
Maybe you could look in yours and let me know if that is right.
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:47 AM

Perhaps Psalm 25? But mine is not as eloquent as yours... mine says:

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul; in you I trust, O my God.

I tried searching for it the way you wrote it online too, but didn't find it that way. I would be interested to know what type of Bible you have...the language sounds lovely.

Unread 11-30-2004, 02:27 PM

I can't remember the exact words but it was something like that, and it is the King james version.
Unread 12-01-2004, 08:37 AM

Bluedragon, I have heard this expression numerous times, even
said it myself, and received encouragement from it. However, I once heard that it was not in the Bible. You motivated me to
read a little more about this topic via a Google search. Below are two weblinks. The first one does use 1 Corinthians 10:13
as a basis to confirm this message. The second weblink refutes
it by stating that God never made this promise. It is a sermon.
This last weblink states that I Corinthians 10:13 is often misinterpreted. Being tempted or tested refers to turning
away from God and our faith. The promise God does make
is that His steadfast love endures forever ( Psalm 136:23-26).
God does promise us that He his love will always be with us,
that He will never abandon us no matter what we must
handle. Once we realize that there are things we can not
handle and are at the end of our resources, that is when we
turn to God and discover our faith in Him.
The second weblink also has beautiful words which can be
sung or prayed that were written after the Oklahoma Federal
Building bombing.
http://www.gotquestions.org/more-handle.html

http://www.clifftemple.org/sermons/2004/2004-07-11.html
Unread 12-01-2004, 11:46 AM

Hi Sisters,

Great discussion! I have been reading your replies, I love when sisters join together and discuss and seek out God's words. This is how it is in the (king James Version)

I Corinthians 10:13

13 There has no temptation taken you but such as common to man:but God is Faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able;but will with the temptation also make a way to escape,that ye may be able to bear it.

I put the last part in bold because that to me explains where that phrase originated. Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.

God bless
Unread 12-01-2004, 01:02 PM

Thank you for your thoughts... sort of along this line, I want to say that one of the things that I have the most trouble with is the concept that God "allows" us to have trials, that God "punishes" us for things, etc.

I just don't think of Him that way. I think He has better things to do with His time than to worry about making my life miserable...u know what I mean?

I think about passages like this, which I found at one of locki's sites: "In the world you have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world." (John 16:32, 33)

In the WORLD, it says...not because GOD wants to rain down trouble on us...

I used to give God the finger for taking my father away from me. I read a book called, When Bad Things Happen To Good People, by Rabbi Harold S. Kushner several years ago, that really put God into perspective for me. And I stopped yelling at Him, and started talking and thanking Him for my incredible gifts, and for this beautiful life.

So, while I DO believe that He is there to help us, I DON'T believe that He "causes" us pain and suffering...

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Unread 12-01-2004, 03:18 PM

{{{{{ bluedragon}}}}}

We had that exact same dicussion a while back on this thread Bible Verses For This Week August 1-8( To Read And Dicuss)*Need Your Input*

I hope this is what you are looking for.Enjoy!

God Be with You
Unread 12-01-2004, 03:33 PM

CAS29 wrote (on the thread you mentioned):

I think historically formal religion has often focussed on "if things go wrong it must be your fault" --- whereas this book is a clear example that "fault" has nothing to do with it, it is all part of a plan.

That is somewhat comforting to me...some Catholics (not all), as you may know, are big on guilt and fault...so perhaps the problem I have with alot of it is the idea that if something goes wrong, its my fault... And while I DO understand and believe that I have a tremendous amount of control over what I do or do not do, I simply cannot accept the idea that God is punishing me (or anyone else for that matter), etc. It just doesn't jibe with my view of the Good Man.

Thank you, Shirley. You are wonderful.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.