HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long does it take for general anesthesia to get out of your system? How long does it take for general anesthesia to get out of your system?

Unread 11-30-2004, 12:43 PM
How long does it take for general anesthesia to get out of your system?

Can anyone answer this question. I had my LSH three weeks ago tomorrow. It was a 2-3/4 hour surgery. I just got my hospital statement, and it indicates I was given two rounds of the meds that make you go to sleep. (By the way, the total bill was $19,000.)

My question comes from the fact that I still am tired and at times have a "drugged" feeling. I take Motrin 800 mg for pain around the clock. I take Ambien at night, but I took it before the surgery and it didn't have this effect. I am not on any narcotic pain relievers at all.

My MIL said it is just the general anesth. leaving your system. Could that still be the case at 3 weeks? I still have my cervix and ovaries.
Unread 11-30-2004, 12:45 PM

yeah, it could be the anesthesia since your surgery was long. But the tired feeling could just be from recovering. Heck, after my hyst i was still tired and worn out easily after 2 months!
Unread 11-30-2004, 01:25 PM

I'm not an anesthesiologist, but I remember looking into this at one point... there isn't one answer to the question of how long general anesthetic agents hang around in the body.

First, there are lots of different agents used for general anesthesia, and each one has its own unique pharmacology and pharmacokinetics. Most surgeries involve the use of at least two of them in combination (an induction agent and then the "main" anesthesia).

Some agents are inhaled, and of those, some are eliminated very rapidly once the mask is removed - they are essentially exhaled unchanged. However, some are metabolized, and cleared by the liver and/or kidneys depending on how the liver processes that particular substance. Similarly, with the injectable agents, they may be eliminated by being broken down into smaller molecules or passed whole in the urine... most involve some combination of both. The health of the individual's liver and kidneys will affect the elimination time.

Another factor with some of the anesthetic agents is how long the patient was under anesthesia. The longer the surgery, the more likely that some of the agent has passed through the circulatory system and entered the fat cells, where it's harder to eliminate from.

I've seen widely varying values for a few of the more commonly used agents... most seem to hover around the five to seven day time period. However, Propofol in particular (commonly used as an induction agent) is longer lived in the body, and even Versed has been detectable in urine up to 10 days after a procedure in which it was used.

Three weeks seems hard to believe (unless the patient was in an ICU under anesthesia for days). However, the reason they say it stays for months in the hair, is that some drugs can break down into products that can end up being incorporated into the hair as it comes out of the follicles for the first several days after surgery... and that hair stays around until it's cut off. Same deal with finger- and toenails.

I hope this helps... I searched for quite a long time at one point and couldn't find any one source that summed it all up in a nice neat table, or any one statement of what the magic number of days was.

FIND information about Anesthesia for your Hysterectomy HERE.

How long does anesthesia stay in the body after hysterectomy?

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-30-2004, 02:21 PM

Wow, Linda. What a thoughtful and helpful post. I did a search on the site, and you're right, there's nothing specific. I am going to try to wean off the Ambien a bit to see if it helps alleviate the grogginess. Like you, I have a hard time believing this is still the anesthetic.

Thank you so much for your insight. I always appreciate your informative and articulate posts.
Unread 11-30-2004, 03:23 PM

Cindy,

Hello again! I'm having the same problems you are. Don't know if it's the anesthesia or what but I'm having problems sleeping, which sounds common from other posts on the board. I also am having pain but must not be as intense as yours as I am down to 400mg ibuprofin twice a day. It took a full two weeks for me to come off the narcotic pain relievers. And the brain lapses I'm having are beginning to concern me...but heck, I was having major brain fogs before the surgery!

I guess I don't have any answers but just wanted you to know that you're not alone and I'm sure that others are going through the same thing.
Unread 12-01-2004, 08:24 AM

Thanks, Jami. It's good to know I'm not alone. It just seems to take a while to feel normal again.
Unread 12-01-2004, 10:01 AM

I can relate! I am almost 4 weeks post LSH and can get very woozy feeling. Driving a night is still very difficult for me. I feel kind of out of my body by the end of the day. I think it is just fatigue. Our bodies are working hard to heal. Rest when you can!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.