HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Painful Bladder when Full Painful Bladder when Full

Unread 12-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Painful Bladder when Full

I slept through the night last night.
Wow that was nice. (day 5 post op)
But this morning my bladder was so full
it brought me to tears.
It hurt so bad. I finally made it to the bathroom...
hobbling slowly but it hurt like heck urinating.
Not the kind of pain for a bladder infection but--
the kind of pain where you feel like your bladder
has been stretched beyond belief and the pain
just stays like a sore muscle.
Well I guess it is a sore muscle- I just wasn't
expecting the pain to be so profound.
Now everything down there feels tight due to
the pain.
I've gone back to tinkle a few times and the pain
is still there but not as bad as when I first woke up.
I know the answer is to get up and take frequent
potty trips even during the night.
Wondering if this took anyone else by surprise?
Unread 12-06-2004, 11:14 AM

I haven't slept right through yet (15 days post) as the bladder pain when full wakes me up

I'm hoping it will get better with time & I am drinking plenty of fluids, I'm passing about a bladder full each time I go, so I know its not unnesacery voiding, but it is painfull, the full bladder hurts then normal then the last little bit seems to be the worst for me pain wise.

I'm doing my pelvic floor exercises as I was told this will help strengthen the bladder muscles too & help with the pain.
I will speak to my GP when I see her if it continues to be a problem.
Unread 12-06-2004, 11:18 AM

I am glad to see this post, as this same symptom has bothered me since my LSH 3 weeks ago. I was convinced it was a UTI, but test was negative.

At 3 weeks, it is MUCH better now. Yes, you should plan on going to the bathroom much more frenquently at first. And it does help to drink a lot of water.

My theory is that the bladder is pushed around a lot during the surgery and can be bruised. Also, it is right there near all your internal incisions, so when the bladder is full, it pushes on the incisions and hurts.

Take heart, it gets better.
Unread 12-06-2004, 11:49 AM

SO glad you posted this

I was just about to post the same question. I am now 6 days postop and am having bladder "pain" too. I hurt when the bladder is full, feel okay when I start to go, but hurt near the end, and still have lingering pain after.

I thought I was drinking enough fluids, but also am worried that I had a bladder infection or something going on.

Now, from all the posts, I can tell that what I am feeling is "normal". I am going to try to "go" before it is really full and see if that helps with the pain.

Hope you are mending alright ~ Barb
Unread 12-06-2004, 12:07 PM

Me too! It's amazing how painful it can be and it does keep waking me up even if I hardly have to go. I'm glad you posted this and I'm glad to read from one of the posts that it does seem to get better with time. I'm 2 weeks post-op tomorrow and I think that my bladder situation is almost my biggest problem. I don't want to be far from the bathroom. Take care.

Aloha,
Lokelani
Unread 12-06-2004, 12:32 PM

Hello Sisters,

I have a different opinion on this issue, but it is just my opinion, NOT based on any medical evidence. First the good news, I had this problem too and it completely went away after a few weeks.

Because my fibroids were pushing on my bladder I was going 8 - 10 times a day. So my bladder never really got stretched. My crazy theory is that after surgery, with no more fibroids pushing on my bladder it had to stretch again to accomodate a full-sized helping (sorry, couldn't think of another word to describe this) of urine. But over time, it stretched back into shape and now there is no more pain. So I would say that you SHOULDN'T go more frequently because that won't allow your bladder to stretch.

Maybe some medical types could shed some light on my theory. Again, I could be way off on this.

Christina
Unread 12-06-2004, 01:00 PM

Hello,

I am (5 days post) and woke up at 5:00 A.M. and I hurt so bad because my bladder was so full. I thought well maybe I have an infection. So I ended up going into the doctors office to have my staples removed from my hyster and they told me that this pain is very normal and to just go to the bathroom as much as possible to avoid the fullness of your bladder and drink lots of water!
Hope you get feeling better.
AprylP
Unread 12-06-2004, 01:40 PM

I'm reading this thread with interest because I'm 5 months post-op and having very similar symptoms, and they're not getting any better. I was on Detrol LA for a while but it didn't seem to help so I gave it up. The urologist says I should take an antibiotic every time I have sex, even though none of the tests I've had showed any infection. Sigh. I came up with a theory similar to Liz's, that the fibroid bruised the bladder somehow. But the pain only started three weeks after surgery, and hasn't gotten any better, so I don't know.
Unread 12-06-2004, 02:54 PM

YEs! Thank you for this topic. Mine is similar. I am home from the hospital3 days and the bladder pain and swelling are my biggest complaints. I think if I coulc have a regular Bowel Movement too I'd feel tons better.
Unread 12-06-2004, 04:28 PM

I am having a similar problem. I am 5 weeks into recovery and having sharp pains. They get worse when i urinate and feels like my bladder is gonna fall out. I went to my DR today and he said all my pains were normal and so is the pressure but I don't know about all that.

Hope you feel better!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.