Scared by Bladder Matters Board | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared by Bladder Matters Board Scared by Bladder Matters Board

Unread 12-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Scared by Bladder Matters Board

I haven't had my surgery yet, as I was recently diagnosed. I already have some problems with a leaky bladder so I thought I would mention this to the doctor and ask for some help with this. I read the posts on the Bladder board and it seems like people have a lot of problems with bladder slings and other surgeries in relation to their hysters. I want to get this cancer out of me and recover quickly. I feel confused about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 06:11 AM

Hi,
I read your post and understand your concerns. I don't have any bladder problems regarding my surgery, but I do know about the anxiety of decision making when it comes to your health. I have come to the rational that things going on in your body are sometimes out of your control. I have learned to keep your faith strong, and trust the doctors recommendations. My hysterectomy was not something I just woke up one day and said, Gee I am gonna get one of those today! It was out of my control and it may have saved my life. You mentioned cancer, I went in for fibroids, and during surgery they found a growth on my ovary that they believe to be cancerous. This surprised everyone including the doctor. I am getting all necessary testing to determine what it was, as they removed it (all hopefully) and what I have to do. If I did not go for the hysterectomy, giving in to the anxiety of having surgery or taking a wait and see approach, it may have been the worst thing I could have done. You have to follow what you feel deep down and do what is right for you. Reading everything and investigating things is good in a way, but it can also give you needless worry.
I hope all turns out well for you and you will be in my prayers.
Happy Holidays,
Debbie
Unread 12-09-2004, 07:32 AM

Hi Danaka, i understand your fears if surgery and when cancer is involved the fear is much worse. It is important to temeber that those who post on bladder matters are specifically those who are having bladder problems. I knew my surgetry woulkd put me into instant menopause and that I couldn't take hormones because of the cancer and when I read the posts of people having severe menopausal pronlems thought I was in for a bad time, but other than occasional hot flashes, I had no problem adjusting at all.
The vast majority do not have lasting bladder problems after surgery and sometimes the surgery can actually fix bladder problems. It is goofd that you told the Dr, about the leaking bladder because maybe they can fix it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 07:36 AM

Danaka:

When I had my exploratory surgery in June, I was scheduled to have a bladder suspension at the same time to help with a leaking bladder. But, because the tumor was near my bladder, the urogynecologist would not do the repair. He did not recommend cutting into my bladder while there was cancer cells present "in the area".

I was very disappointed, but it is something that I will just have to live with!

You might consider having a consultation with a urogynecologist.

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register