Staples and scars | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staples and scars Staples and scars

Unread 12-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Staples and scars

I really hope my questions aren't too silly or offensive to anyone.

My surgery is 12-29-04. I am having a TAH/BSO/Burch/Anterior.
My incision will be horizontal, actually a Pfannenstial incision which is slightly curved. I told my surgeon that I really want a railroad track scar. He smiled, but thought my request was perfectly reasonable. He said that in order to achieve this, he would close the incision with staples and leave them in for several extra days. (He explained that usually they are removed and replaced with tape before the patient is discharged. This is done to minimize scarring!)

Does anyone here have this type of scar from staples, and how long did you have yours before they were removed?

Also, is it painful when they are removed? I am just curious. I am willing to suffer a little for that railroad track!

My apologies if this post annoys anyone.

Sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Staples and scars

Hi,

I had staples with my incision, but mine were removed the day I left the hospital (3 days post-op.) I don't have the "railroad track" scar; mine is just a very faint, thin line, barely noticable.

I can tell you though that removal of the staples shouldn't hurt at all. Your incision will be numb for awhile after surgery due to cut nerves, so you really shouldn't feel anything more than some slight tugging sensations as the staples are removed.

Best of luck on your surgery.

s,

Lisa
Unread 12-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Staples and scars

THe staple removal didn't hurt at all, just a minor pinch on one or two of them. They were removed before I went home, had surgery wed am , had staples removed sat noon. No problems now at 10 weeks, you can't see the scar but a hair line insission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Staples and scars

HI!
I thought I'd post about the staples too. I figure the more hear it the more reassuring it is. I had staples in both my hip and my knee (a little different than the stomach area) but it didn't hurt when they were removed at all.

I think my scars are from the incisions themselves and not the staples. I'll have to look again and see. I kind of forget that they are there.

Hang in there! My surgery date had a way of sneaking up on me today!
Unread 12-11-2004, 03:33 AM
Staples and scars

I haave only had staples from my caesareans. I am due for hysterectomy in Jan 2005. The only time it hurt for the staples to come out was after my last delivery. the incision was opened up a bit and the skin had grown over the incision a little. It felt more like plucking eyebrows i suppose. not too bad really. You will be ok
Unread 12-11-2004, 04:34 AM
Staples and scars

My staples were left a bit longer than normally due to cercumstances beyound my control The hosp I was in took alternate ones out the Sunday Post-Op (my surgery was on a tuesday) then the rest were taken out on the Tuesday after surgery (this was to help stop gapeing in the wound as I am a 'fluffy' person and have a 'bikini cut' The nurse was so gentle both times when she said finished I was surprised.

My DH has been caring for my wound since I got home (along with a home nurse/DN) as I need it changed daily at the mo, but although I don't seem to have the 'railway track' (acording to DH who has seen it a lot closer than I can ) it will not be a very pretty scar my Consultant said rather unhappy about it, as it has healed with lips and ridges.
I reasured her and laughingly & said I was not a bikini type person anyway.

I don't care about the scar, good, bad or indiferent, I'm rather proud of it infact.
Unread 12-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Staples and scars

Hi Sheila,
I have the railroad track scar because of a mix up with my doctor and the hospital nurse. I had the staples in for ten days. Most of the staples were removed with little or no pain, but a few hurt really bad when removed. My skin grow over them thats why they don't leave them in unless they have to.

Most staples are removed before leaving the hospital.

I have had staples in the past for each c-section (3)and most left a railroad track look, but after a year the holes from the staples don't show anymore.
Good luck.
Unread 12-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Staples and scars

Hi there

I have had 2 c-sections and with both I had staples. They were left in 2 days for the 1st c-section and 4 days the 2nd c-section.
I also just had staples from my TAH on Dec 7th they were removed on Dec 9th. Each time the staples were removed the day I left the hospital.
I felt tugging, my nerves in that area are still numb from the surgery. The only time it did hurt was when I was in the hosptial 4 days and the skin had started to grow over the staple.
As for seeing the staple marks they fade you will however see the long cut line from wear the doctor had to do his work. This to will start to fade with time.

Hope this helps

Angel314
Unread 12-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Staples and scars

I had staples for my c section last July. I had them removed after 7 days and only have a few very faint marks still where the staples were. My cut was vertical though and the scar is still about 1/4" wide. It is fading and getting smaller. I go in for my surgery next Wed and they will recut the same place so I don't know how it will look after doing it twice and so soon after it was done before. I had slight pinching on a couple of my staples. It doesn't really hurt having them removed. Best wishes on your surgery!
Unread 12-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Staples and scars

Hi,

I had TAH with staples too on a bikini cut. Half of them were removed at day 4 before I left the hospital, the rest 7 days post-op.
At 7 weeks post op, only the one removed at 7 days still show staple holes, but it's not really deeply marked and I'm pretty sure they will fade away. So I guess if you want them to show they would have to be in longer.

And no it's doesn't hurt to have them removed.

Good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register