HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long is recovery after ovary removal? How long is recovery after ovary removal?

Unread 12-13-2004, 03:01 PM
How long is recovery after ovary removal?

I had my right ovary removed thru laparoscopic surgery last Thursday. It was done as outpatient surgery and I was told recovery would be about the same as a regular lap to remove endo. Well I know I was feeling better than this after most of my laps....the shoulder pain does not want to go away and my tummy is still very sore. How long does this take to get better?
Unread 12-13-2004, 04:11 PM

I had my left ovary removed last feb. I bruised more than I ever have and I was very sore for a couple of weeks. Even after the visible bruising went away I still felt bruised underneath. I also had the shoulder pain that I never had with any of my other laps, but mine went away after about a day, sorry you are having to deal with that still I know it is miserable.
Unread 12-13-2004, 04:22 PM

Shelli,
I have found that with each additional surgery I have, my recovery time is longer. When I had my first lap over 10 years ago, I bounced back within a few days. Two years ago I had an exploratory lap and it took me about 4 weeks to get back to any semblance of somewhat normal.

If you ever feel like something isn't right, don't hesitate to give your doctor a call and let him/her know how you're feeling. Let the doc make the decision if it's normal or not.
Unread 12-13-2004, 06:48 PM

I just had my right ovary, tube (due to adhesions and scarring and PAIN!) and also appendix removed 3 weeks ago this Wednesday. My shoulder pain lasted for 4 days and at the time that was the worst pain, not my tummy. However, now I'm having right lower quadrant pain and also some back pain. It feels like it is really bruised and hurting on the inside. I had my first lap. in May, and the recovery was only a week. I'm hoping this gets better soon, or I'm back to the dr., and who knows what he'll think. I could almost care less at this point! Good luck to you!
Unread 12-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Hi,

I had my right ovary and adhesions removed 6 months ago. My surgery was a lap procedure and the recovery was about 3 weeks.

I agree with (((Kim))) - I have found that the more surgeries I have, the longer my body takes to recover. {{{sigh}}}

It's always best to be on the safe side and let your doctor know if you are not feeling "right".

s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.