HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How do you know if you have prolapsed (vaginally, bladder, cervix..etc)? How do you know if you have prolapsed (vaginally, bladder, cervix..etc)?

Unread 12-16-2004, 07:50 AM
How do you know if you have prolapsed (vaginally, bladder, cervix..etc)?

Hey, I'm 4 wks post op from LSH, LSO. I got my surgical notes and didn't say anything about prolapsed or putting a sling in. I've read so many posts on prolapse repairs but don't know what the symptoms of it are. About 6 months prior to surgery, I'd started having pain in vaginal area during intercourse. Is this a sign? Or, do you think having the hyst helped that also. I had forgotten to mention that to my dr b4 that I was having this problem. Thanks for your input!
Unread 12-16-2004, 08:03 AM

My first and only sign of a prolapse was pain during sex. I first complained of it atleast 5 years ago. It got quite painful just before my surgery. Having my hysterectomy diffently releaved that problem. Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Cherri
Unread 12-16-2004, 09:06 AM

My cervix was just 1.5" inside my vagina before surgery (TVH, TVT Dec 2). It was painful during sex and when I was having my periods it felt like I was having a baby with all the pressure I had down there. I would no longer wear tampons as everything just seemed to bypass it and end up on my underware so went back to pads. If you have not had your postop appointment yet I would tell your DR so they can check. If you have I would call and go in or ask about it at least.
Elizabeth
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:48 PM

I hadn't had sex in over four years, so I had no idea. The night before surgery, I decided to check out my cervix, so I could compare it to after surgery to see if there was a difference. Imagine my surprise when I inserted my finger, and my cervix was right inside the opening. After surgery, I mentioned this to my doctor and he said "Oh yes, you did have a prolapsed uterius." That explained why when I peed, it would come out in spirts, and sideways against my leg. Thank god I don't have THAT problem any more!!
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:53 PM

Northwestlady - did you have to have any other repair work done? Cystocele or Rectocele? I had a severe uterus prolapse (no pain during sex) quite a bulge sticking outside the vagina. Now that the uterus is removed (I was told it was 3x the size of a normal uterus) I have terrible pressure and pain at the front wall, I think this must be the bladder prolapse.
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:57 PM

Mine wasn't outside my body, still about an inch or so inside. As far as I know, I didn't have any other repair done. I do know that when the doctor detached the ligaments from the uterus, he reattached them to the bladder to hold it in place. So far, so good. It's been just three months now.

(When I checked after surgery, my vagina is now so long I could hardly reach the end!!!!)
Unread 12-31-2004, 01:55 PM

I originally went to my GP because I was having a hard time with bowel movements and I had a bulge out of vagina. She said I had a "slight" rectocele (prolapsed rectum). After another couple of years went by, I started leaking urine if I waited too long, laughed or sneezed. GP said I probably should see a GYN. He was amazed that I didn't have more problems because I had a prolapsed uterus, bladder, urethra and rectum!!! Basically, I felt a lot of pressure "down there" kind of like when a baby moves down into the birth canal, but not terrible. I didn't have pain during sex. I'm real upset with my GP for not referring me sooner and with the lady friends that said all of us have to deal with the forces of gravity. Get a good GYN if you even think you have a prolapse!!
Unread 12-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Prolapse ??

I agree -- if you're not sure, look for a second opinion. There was NO question I had a prolapsed uterus -- my cervix was quite visible even if I wasn't wearing tight pants. My gyn did a test ahead of surgery to test my bladder -- embarassing but not painful. As a result, he recommended a bladder sling.

On the other hand, I have a friend who can see her bladder. Her gyn WILL NOT recommend surgery. She has to sit a certain way to pee.

Last word of advice -- if you do have any prolapses find out ahead of time EXACTLY what restrictions you have postop and for how long. I found out after surgery I'd never be able to lift heavy weights again. I tried anyway about 9 months post surgery since I do like lifting weights. I definitely need to stay within my limits or I feel it for a few days afterwards. Not just muscle tenderness. I had screws put in my pelvic bone and it felt like they were coming loose. It was difficult to pee. On the other hand, I got rid of my heavy vacuum and got a brand new Oreck!
Unread 01-01-2005, 03:00 AM

Ladies, thanks for the info but I went to the Dr last week and he said he did not noticed anything prolapsed. However, that pain in my r vaginal wall came back 3 days ago and I almost freaked out bcz my dr did not do a vaginal at my post op. He freed me to do Pilates since I had LSH and he allowed 6 wk recovery versus normal 2-4 week. I told him the pain had come back and asked if i needed to come in for him to check and he said no. He said that basically as I add normal routines or working out I will feel pain until that area get used to it again (he even said it might hurt the first few times during sex). So, he said unless the pain was constant and accompanied by blood or a real heaviness in my lower area to not worry about it and just give my body time to readjust. He will recheck me in 3 mos. So, it's a wait and see game. I did Pilates again last night and so far, no pain in the vaginal area. My stomach muscles are sore but that's it.

And the healing goes on and on and on! God Bless...Happy New Year!
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:31 AM
cervical position

It is normal during a woman's cycle for the cervix to move. When we ovulate the cervix becomes soft, opens slightly, and discends somewhat into the vagina. I was prolapsed and it was obvious because even when I wasn't ovulating my cervix was about 1/2 inch inside my vagina. I had an unusual suspension done than what is normal--sacralspinous ligament suspension via intravaginal tunneler. I have stitches on my hinney--and I can't wait until they desolve and fall out!

Love and blessings,
Angie K.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway