HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Recurrent cystocele Recurrent cystocele

Unread 12-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Recurrent cystocele

I'm new here. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy, anterior repair, and bladder suspension 2-1/2 years ago. In recent months I began to have some vague symptoms and finally a return of the pain I was having before the surgery. I went to my urologist who said my bladder suspension had failed. He told me to see my gynecologist who told me I now am in worse shape than I was before the surgery. I had a Stage 2 cystocele before the surgery and now I have a Stage 3 cystocele.....and he has referred me to a urogynecologist in Houston because he said I need pelvic reconstructive surgery that no doctor here can perform. I am so upset and depressed. Would like to communicate with someone who has had a similar experience. I surely expected that very traumatic and painful $40K surgery to last longer than 2-1/2 years!!!
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Recurrent cystocele

This si not related but I had adhesion surgery with my BSO

I know that chances are high The adhesions may reform . but *sigh* im prepared

I can well relate to your : I want more time before the next surgery or not at all

I know that I may in future be faced with yet another surgery. there is no cure for some things but it can buy us some time.

My sympathies 40K is alot

mei
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Recurrent cystocele

I am sorry to hear you need another surgery. It is alot to put our bodies through. I had a hyst May 7th, then a GB removal Sept 22. Now I find out I have a moderate rectocele and enterocele, which probably means another surgery before long. It is hard to get a positive mind set when something always seems to be going wrong. I am just glad that God gave our doctors the knowledge and skill to fix our problems.
Hang in there. Things will get better before you know it. One day we will both look back and say we feel 100% now.
Take care and good luck!!
Peggy
Unread 12-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Maybe

I have had two rounds of surgery. During my first the cyctocele, rectocele and entrocele were repaired with mesh and graft. But the rectocele only held a few months. My uro-gyn told me that I have thin tissue that makes support very difficult. (hence the mesh and graft). Sometimes no matter how skilled our surgeons are, these things happen again. I am still off with my second surgery and I know there is a possiblity of this happening again (especially since I am only 48). Not fun, but I am glad I had it fixed again.

Levanah
Unread 12-25-2004, 08:46 PM
recurrent cystocele

This is for bfont: I can understand your frustration ~~ I'm going through the same thing. I had LSH in 2/2001, then 6 months later began to have prolapse symptoms, which were repaired (also laparoscopic) in 2/2002. Then again, 6 months later, began to have the same feelings of pressure and heaviness (and DREAD). I finally went to a new doc in Sept., who referred me to a uro-gyn, who will be doing my NEXT repair on Jan. 6. This surgery will will open abdominal since the laps "failed", and he has to do so much repair. I have a lot of mesh from the previous repair, and my new doc will repair my cyctocele and enterocele, do the bladder sling thing, as well as remove my cervix, which is just inside my vagina. EEWWW! My previous surgeries were also VERY expensive, but thank the Lord for insurance! As if all of the above weren't enough, I had an MRI 2 wks. ago to evaluate back pain, and it was discovered that I have a ruptured disk in my lower back, which limits the position they can put me in during surgery. I'm seeing a neuro doc next week about that, but at 47, I just don't feel that this much should be wrong with me! Reading that other ladies are coping with the same problems is comforting in a way ... I just hope that this is the LAST surgery I'll have to go through, and you too!

Good luck!
Unread 12-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and support. I saw the physician in Houston, who is NOT a uro-gyn as it turns out, but a gyn who is supposedly "among the best" in pelvic reconstrictive surgery. He says I need four procedures....cystocele repair, rectocele repair, enterocele repair, and a repair to the vaginal support from my hysterectomy. He said he can do all but the rectocele repair laproscopically. The rectocele with require transvaginal repair. I am scheduled for Feb 3, but have the next 6 weeks or so to deal with the pain and discomfort.
Unread 01-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Recurrent cystocele

hello
May I ask what is the symptom of a cystocele? I have a rectocele and enterocele which is scheduled to be repaired Jan. 25. My vagina feels so full and is difficult to push to urinate. I feel like my vagina is one big bulge at times, especially when I have been on my feet alot. I do leak a little at times when I bend over but most of the time I never have a urge to urinate.
My gyn is going to use a derm graft to do my posterior repair. How do I know if I need a anterior repair? My gyn hasn't seen me since the first of Nov. and my rectocele went from a barely 1 to a rather large in that time.
My gyn examined me lying down exerting no pressure, so would he have noticed a cystocele? The rectocele was diagnosed as a large one after my defecogram.
Is it wrong for me to request a anterior repair while in there?

Peggy
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Recurrent cystocele

Hi Peggy,

If I were you, I would definitely have my gyn check me while standing; my previous surgeon missed my prolapse because he only checked me while lying down. I wish I would have spoken up at the time. But you should really be checked before your surgery so they can repair everything at once.

The only symptom I had regarding my cystocele was feeling fullness and pressure in my vagina, and when I looked with a mirror, I could see tissue that I was pretty sure wasn't supposed to show! I didn't have any leakage, or problem urinating, but when the uro-dynamics test was performed, stress incontinence was diagnosed.

My surgery is next Thursday and I hope to be good as new after that! My hope for you is the same ~~ good luck!

Becky

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway