HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long did you keep a bandage on your incision ? How long did you keep a bandage on your incision ?

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:00 AM
How long did you keep a bandage on your incision ?

My incision is ok (9 days post-op) but I'm really carfeul about keeping a bandage there..... The suggests no bandage at all, but I feel safer with one on.

What did you ladies do with your incisions ?

kind regards,

smiles & dreams
Unread 12-26-2004, 06:07 AM

I had a TAH and had a big orange bandage on while I was in the hospital (I was in for 5 days...went in on Mon and left on Fri). The Dr. took it off a few days after the surgery and then told me I could shower. I still have steri-strips (some of them LOL) on my incision site, but they are starting to itch so bad with hair growing through them that if they are loose, I go ahead and pull them off. My first Dr.s appt. is on the 30th and I know he'll take them off then if I still have any left....I've had a C-sect with this Dr. and I know what he does, so I'm not worried about them coming off on their own or pulling them off if they are driving me nuts.

I don't have a bandage now other than the strips that are left. I'd say if your Dr. said you don't need one, then I wouldn't worry about it, but if you feel more comfortable with one on...just be careful to keep it dry and keep an eye out for infection.
Unread 12-26-2004, 06:56 AM

I still have one :cry: only in one little spot, where one of the staples was opened up on Christmas Eve and started weeping, so out come all the dressings left over from my seroma and DH dressed it.

My dressing was originaly removed at 5 days P/O, then the wound was infected and had to be redressed for about 2 1/2 weeks, then I had a whole clear week and now this

I just hope this bit heals quick and I get no problems with it.

If you feel safer with a light dressing on, then do so, but do try to go part of the day without so the air can get to it to aid healing.

I think my problem was my wound itched in the night and I scratched it without realising what I was doing and the scar tissue is still too new to take that kind of thing.
Unread 12-26-2004, 08:00 AM
nervous

i im waiting abit nerovous now you said. somthing went wrong on the op table
  Quote:
Originally posted by Tanis
I still have one :cry: only in one little spot, where one of the staples was opened up on Christmas Eve and started weeping, so out come all the dressings left over from my seroma and DH dressed it.

My dressing was originaly removed at 5 days P/O, then the wound was infected and had to be redressed for about 2 1/2 weeks, then I had a whole clear week and now this

I just hope this bit heals quick and I get no problems with it.

If you feel safer with a light dressing on, then do so, but do try to go part of the day without so the air can get to it to aid healing.

I think my problem was my wound itched in the night and I scratched it without realising what I was doing and the scar tissue is still too new to take that kind of thing.
Unread 12-26-2004, 01:57 PM

Hi!

Glad to hear that your incision seems to be doing so well after nine days. After my TAH/BSO in July of 2003, the bandage was removed before I left the hospital. A nurse placed a layer of gauze over the top, then replaced my surgical binder for the trip home. Whenever I was in a reclining position (which was often for the first week at home!), I opened the binder and removed the gauze to let the air circulate. Whenever I was up and about I replaced the gauze and binder because it made me feel more secure. I'd heard horror stories about women's incisions opening and I wasn't taking any chances! When the last of the steri strips fell off and the doctor gave me the okay, I stopped with the gauze and the binder.

I would think that if your doctor says you're all right without a bandage, you could take his advice. Try going around without it for awhile just to see how you do. Letting the air get to the incision is a good thing!
Unread 12-26-2004, 02:12 PM

I am a big girl and my belly hangs over my incision. The doctor took the dressing off before I left the hospital. I really havent had problems with it since. They told me to keep the area dry. That has been a challenge due to sweat and so on. I itch really bad, but I know I cant scratch!! Oh and the smell is horrid. Even after a shower I smell like and old sock under my belly. I just hope noone else smells it. my DH said he cant smell it unless he is helping me care for the incision. So as long as the doc said not to cover it you should be fine!!
Unread 12-26-2004, 07:38 PM

My dressings came off two days after my surgery, in the hospital. I have a bikini line incision, all internal sutures and just a tail at each end showing. My hubby wiped it gently with alcohol about once a day for a few days after I came home, and thats it. My gyn cut the tail off at my first check up appt. I too have a bit of hang over my incision, but absolutely no smell at all, its clean and healing great! No dressings were needed after they took them off. Good luck with yours.

Leslie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.