surgery Tues 12/28 what should I bring to wear | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery Tues 12/28 what should I bring to wear surgery Tues 12/28 what should I bring to wear

Unread 12-26-2004, 10:11 AM
surgery Tues 12/28 what should I bring to wear

I was Hoping for some help, I have done the food shopping and house cleaning, tommorrow I will finish all the bills and banking, still need to run to get dog food and hay for the horses......

But i really need help on what to bring to the hospital, I bought granny panties, do I bring a night gown , sweats or only clothes to return home with???????????????????

I just dont know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 10:30 AM

Hi!

I wore home the same clothes I wore to the hospital which was a pair of loose fitting drawstring sweat pants and an oversized T-shirt. Some ladies wear their PJ's or gown home...or even an 'airy' sundress. I would suggest whatever you feel most comfortable in. You will probably have some swelling and you don't want anything to rub your belly...especially if you have an incision.

Best wishes! s

Deb
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:53 AM

Hi,

While in the hospital, I wore the hospital-provided gowns until I got my IV out and catheter out, then I wore a gown I brought from home with a matching robe. It just made me feel better to have my own pretty things at that point.

I also wore home what I wore in, a lose jumper and slide-on shoes.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2004, 12:07 PM

Going in, I wore loose fitting drawstring pants and comfy shirt; wore the same thing home, as I only had it on for about 1 1/2 hours before I changed into the lovely hospital gown.

The first day in the castle I wore the hospital gown, for convenience mostly. But like Crossfire, I took my own comfy flannel gown to wear because it made me 'feel' like I looked better. Don't sweat the small stuff though. At that point, you really won't care what you look like, at least I didn't.

Remember to take your toothbrush/paste, chapstick, shampoo etc. You'll feel a ton better after you get to shower etc.

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you.
Kathtown
Unread 12-26-2004, 12:33 PM

I must emphasize CHAPSTICK! It was like all the water in my body had been sucked out...very dry. Besides that, I brought PJ's. robe, slippers, granny panties, and shower stuff.

Good luck to you.
Unread 12-26-2004, 01:26 PM

I wore regular clothes to the hospital and packed comfy workout pants and a t-shirt, clean large panties to wear home.

Here's what I brought...

Nightie and housecoat - changed into them once my I.V. was removed.
Bra - I felt better having the "girls" hoisted up.
Comfy panties - that fishnet thing they put on is gross!
Slippers
Shower Gel & Deodorant - I had a couple of wash downs and preferred to have some nice smelling shower gel.
Toothbrush/Toothpaste - this goes without saying.
Shampoo - I desperately wanted to wash my hair the second day!
Brush/Comb
Magazines
Ear plugs - man I was happy I brought those. Noisy ward, noisy neighbour!
Makeup - I brought a couple of items of makeup...it made me feel better to put it on. I applied it sitting in bed!
Moisturiser - it felt nice to apply it...kind of luxurious! Smells nice too!

Things I wish I brought...

Floss - had a piece of "something" in my teeth and I could have killed for a piece of floss!
Chapstick

Hope this helps! Good luck with everything! Let us know how it went!

Hugs,
Sarah
Unread 12-26-2004, 02:38 PM

I just returned from the castle a week ago. I wore the hospital gown while I was there and was glad I did, as I had some oozing from my incision. I did bring my own soft warm pink bath robe for walks in the hall and also some fluffy pink slippers. I brought roomy sweats, sneakers and granny pants for the ride home. I also brought a colorful holiday throw to decorate my bed and a squishy pillow. My favorite thing was a CD player clock radio. I played beautiful, peaceful holiday, classical and new age music. When the chaplain came to visit me, she said my room felt like a healing spa! I brought my own toothbrush, body wash, face cleaner, and other personal items. I think you should bring whatever makes you feel happy and at home. The most important thing is to have visitors who make you feel good.
Unread 12-26-2004, 03:56 PM

Hi,
It really depends on what you're comfortable in. I too wore home the clothes I wore to the hospital, and took my own pjs and robe. However, I didn't wear the pjs because I had trouble with nausea and vomitting and it only took throwing up once on my new robe for me to decide that they could do all the laundry from then on out.

The best thing I took to the hospital was my tummy pillow. I went in with a cold and coughed a lot. I used it all the time.

Good Luck to you!!
Unread 12-26-2004, 04:05 PM

I brought:

my favorite robe
slippers
chapstick (if you bring nothing else DON'T forget this!)
shampoo, deoderant, toothbrush, tooth paste
clean granny panties

I wore the hospital gown while I was there. It was just easier with the IV, catheter and drain. And quite frankly, fashion was the last thing on my mind!

I wore a velour workout suit to the hospital and had my DH bring a pair of his pajama bottoms to wear home. I didn't want to get any stray fluids on my nice new workout suit.

My mother brought some note paper so I could write things down. I was pretty hazy so it came in handy. I couldn't remember anything! I'm so glad she thought of it.

Good luck.
Unread 12-26-2004, 04:12 PM

Whoops! I forgot about the pillow. I didn't take a tummy pillow to the hospital, so my mother put an old pillow case on a sofa pillow and brought it to me. I still have it with me all the time. I put it under the seat belt in the car, rest my laptop on it while I'm on line, it keeps the kitties off my tummy, and it is always handy if I want to cough or laugh. I'm beginning to feel like Linus!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register