HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fused Bladder?........ Fused Bladder?........

Unread 12-27-2004, 02:43 AM
Question - Fused Bladder?........ Fused Bladder?........

Hi, I had a TAH on 17th Dec 2004, when the doc. came to speak witrh me he told me I had a lot of scar tissue from my two previous c-sections and that my bladder was badly fused to my uterus. All of which he repaired.

Has anyone else had similar happen to them and what can I expect in the future? My bladder seems to be working fine but it is early days yet and because I had only been out of recovery a short while when the doc visited me I didn't get to ask any questions.

I was also wondering how/why does one's bladder 'fuse' itself?

Confused (as usual)

Best Wishes

~Karen-Jane~
Unread 12-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Fused Bladder?........

When I had my hysterectomy over 2 years ago, I had the very same thing happen. I had had 2 prior c-sections and when they opened me up to take out my uterus(I kept my ovaries, which I just ended up having out 8 months ago)they told me that my bladder and my uterus were stuck together from adhesions and scar tissue. I figured my bladder might now work post op after he told me that, but it worked just fine, if fact I think it worked better because my stress incontinence had stopped due to my huge diseased uterus getting off my bladder! Boy what I wouldn't give to go back to those days.. Long story! You will probably be just fine. It's in the early days that your bladder would let you know if it wasn't going to work, unless you get a bladder infection, which is easy to avoid by drinking lots of water and emptying your bladder regularly. A fused bladder and uterus is pretty textbook for most of us, especially when we've had previous abdominal surgeries... If you do run into problems, which you most likely will not, then give your dr a call, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Unread 12-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Fused Bladder?........

My bladder was also stuck to my uterus, I too had 2 c-sections. Wow 2 must be the magic number lol. I had a tah on the 15th of DEc and I am noticing that after I use the bathroom my bladder hurts ontop, they think it maybe from the trauma of surgery. My poor doctor had a work out with my insides. My ovary was stuck to an adhesion on a wall on my insides, my 2 c-sections were infused together, my uterus was attached to my bladder my goodness I was a mess. I will find out today what is going on with my bladder I hope you feel better
Unread 12-27-2004, 11:09 AM
Fused Bladder?........

Thanks for taking the time to reply Julie

I am very lucky to be feeling so well at this stage and I even luckier that my bladder is working fine, I didn't have a catheter inserted at all so maybe that helped me.

Best Wishes
~Karen-Jane~
Unread 12-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Fused Bladder?........

Hi Carol, I think I had pretty much the same as you with the adhesions etc. I will find out more when I go for my 6 week check up.

Did they insert a catheter when you were in surgery?
Unread 12-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Fused Bladder?........

Oh yes I hated that thing! I have an Dr appt in 45 minutes so I will see what she says when I get there about the pain on my bladder. I hope no more surgery I hate being under and being sick from anesthesia(sp) I will let you know when I get back
Unread 12-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Thumbs up - Fused Bladder?........ Fused Bladder?........

Hi Karen my pain was NORMAL she said that I probably have some scar tissue from my surgery because I had alot of adhesions on my insides. So it was fine and I feel better. I wanted to send you that update and I also don't have a uti either which is good.
Unread 12-28-2004, 03:36 AM
Fused Bladder?........

Hi Carol

I'm so glad things are ok with you, there is nothing quite like a urinary infection 'ouch'

I wish I wasn't awake when all you peeps across the atlantic are asleep, it makes it seem as if I don't reply sometimes lol ....darn time difference

Best Wishes
~Karen-Jane~
Unread 12-28-2004, 05:01 AM
Fused Bladder?........

lol I can imagine it's almost 4am here in Cali as I write this. So what time is it in the UK? I wish you well on your bladder too and speedy recovery
Unread 01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Fused Bladder?........

I had my TAh in May. When my dr. opened me up he also found my bladder fused to my uterus and abdominal wall by scar tissue and adhesions. I had 4 previous c sections.
I didn't have much problem urinating after surgery. Now, at 8 months I don't hardly feel a urge to urinate. I am having urodynamic testing this Thursday. I am supposed to have posterior repair the 25 th, but don't know if it will happen then. My gyn wants everything fixed at one time. He said I may need bladder repair. I hope not.
I had no idea the c sections could cause so many problems!

Peggy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.