HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 01-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Girdles ?

Ridiculous thought.... are girdles allowed after surgery ?
It's like living in a throw-back of 1950's.... but holding that tummy in, along with those stiches, does seem appealing.

Thanks
smiles & dreams
TAH, salpingectomy
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Girdles ?

Hi I borrowed a light girdle from my mom and wore it everyday while i was healing. It really seemed to help hold in my swelly belly and made walking around more comfortable.
Take care
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:05 AM
not ridiculous, at all!

I found that firm control is helpful in reducing pain during walks (Keeps that ouchy jiggling to a minimum..............who knew minor movement could hurt so?!), adventures to the store, and returning to work. Can help motivate to walk more! There are some wonderful garments out there that'll do the job, that aren't quite as stringent as a girdle, too.

However, I would remove the firm control at all other times. Remember, anything that compresses, also can reduce circulation..............something our healing abdomens need, deep inside.

And, just like preop, wearing very strong tummy control garments constantly, can make your muscles even weaker..........making the abdomen look worse, later on. I know that whenever I used to take off my control panties after a long day at work postop, my stomach would free itself, kinda looking like one of those self-inflating life rafts!!!!

Like anything else, run it past your doc...........if he doesn't already have a strong opinon regarding this topic, it will lead him to develop one for his future patients.
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Girdles ?

exactly what I had in mind..... borrowing one from my mother and also wondering about blood circulation.

we all may be far away but its so precious to know that other ladies think the same

smiles & dreams
Unread 01-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Girdles ?

My doctor prescribed a weird little contraption for me that wrapped around the hips and thighs. It was wonderful. I would not have been able to get around without it. I was to wear it whenever I was up and about for any length of time. Kept the tummy tight and made it more comfortable to walk, no jiggling. The bad part, it was $400. I think a girdle would work just as well and lots cheaper.
Unread 01-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Girdles ?

Sounds like the garment prescribed by plastic surgeons for tummy tucks and liposuction.................with those surgeries, is very important to keep the skin tight against the body so that the fascia will reconnect and seromas will not form from the extra trauma to the skin. Did you have extra work done? I wish I had, while I was in there!
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Girdles ?

My doctor also prescribed me an abdominal binder and I didn't have a TT. I think she does for all of her Princesses as she told me one had worn it for 6 weeks, she liked it so much. I don't know how much the hospital charged, but I did a search on the internet and you can get them pretty inexpensively from the medical supply places. I also saw something very similar at Target for around ~$20, but I didn't stop to look (shopping time being at a premium).

I suppose it would depend on how tight you put it on, but I can't say that I felt any circulation being cut off. It was just nice to have the extra support. (Similarly, support hose don't cut off circulation to your legs, right?) I switched to control top underwear after a week. It seems ro me that the less wear and tear on those abs while they heal up, the better. Besides, it feels good. (Like having an extra hand on your belly all the time.)

Just my two cents,

Catalina
Unread 01-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Girdles ?

yeah my doc recommended i wear a light girdle to support my flab n hold all my stitches together!!i bought it from a normal underwear shop, like one of thoe paisrs of light support pants!!dont go for a strong boned or very tight one though!!
Unread 01-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Girdles ?

I know my support panties were worth gold to me!!

I wore the support hose, too..............they compress the legs just enough to keep fluid from collecting in your legs...the level of compression aids in keeping things moving towards the direction of the heart, not to mention supporting any varicose veins that might be there. If not kept on the legs in the manner intended (stretched and pulled up), they can actually cut off circulation to the point of causing DVT.....clots in the legs. As a nurse, have seen some patients come from home postop with this condition, because the hose were not kept on correctly.

Like anything else in life, whether something is hurtful, or helpful, depends upon the DEGREE of use. It is always a good idea to ask your surgeon just how much support he/she recommends. Not all abdominal binders are created equal, or do the exact same job......one of the reasons you'll see them priced anywhere from $20-$400.
Unread 01-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Girdles ?

My doctor says yes. I bought a couple one size too big and they are wonderful. They help with the discomfort and also mask the sweely belly if I'm getting dressed up.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.