HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Adhesions ..... How long after surgery does this happen and how would I know? Adhesions ..... How long after surgery does this happen and how would I know?

Unread 01-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Adhesions ..... How long after surgery does this happen and how would I know?

What does having adhesions feel like? I am having some pain where my ovaries used to be. I seem to wig out about every little pain that I have, always thinking the worst. Which I know is not good ............ Would they show up on an untrasound?
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:57 PM

HI,

Adhesions can feel like a pulling sensation with movement or can just be occasional pain. I do not know how soon after surgery that they can occur.

If it is bothering you, call your dr and ask.

Best wishes,

Judy
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:34 AM

Adhesions form immediately postop, I am talking hours, however if they are going to cause problems, there is no time limit. My time limits have been 3 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 months.
Everyone feels diff....I have constant pain all over pelvis and lower abdomen...pulling tearing sensation with occasional sharp pains.
Adhesions don't show up on any xray, the only way to diagnose is by doing a lap procedure.
If you want more information on them, click on resources on the top of the page and type in adhesions.
You can also google it and get a lot of information. There is even a website called international adhesion society that has alot of info.
Unread 01-03-2005, 10:06 AM

So is it normal for me to have had them and them just now start giving me a problem? I am going back to the doctor Wed. so I will metion this to her. She is probally tired of all my problems and worries.
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:59 AM

A lot of women get adhesions postop hyster, and they can cause problems at any time. HOWEVER, a lot of women who have them, never know, because they do not cause problems.

The recovery process is so full of new, sometimes daily, aches, pains and symptoms, that it can be overwhelming to sort what is normal, and what is not. Keep discussing any problematic/painful changes with your doc.

For me.............I decided not to worry about any pains (unless severe, of course), until I hit the one year mark and could be reasonably certain that my recovery was complete.
Unread 01-04-2005, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennyleigh1975
So is it normal for me to have had them and them just now start giving me a problem? I am going back to the doctor Wed. so I will metion this to her. She is probally tired of all my problems and worries.
You will have them regardless, everyone who has had surgery does. The timing on the pain though is different for everyone. The main thing you need to mention to your doc is the fact that you are having this pain and it warrants further investigation.
If you can put into words exac tly what the pain feels like that will help her too---crampy, sharp, dull, pulling, deep, etc....does it feel like you did before surgery, is it the same pain?
If it is, you need to let her know that too , tell her when it started what your activity postop has been etc.
Please keep me updated!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.