How much activity is too much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much activity is too much? How much activity is too much?

Unread 01-03-2005, 03:40 PM
How much activity is too much?

Hey Ladies,

How do you know if you are overdoing it? I'm one week post-op and going bonkers. I'm never been good about not doing a thing, so...today I cleaned around the house, and now am cooking dinner. It is difficult for me to sit because my incision is so low, it is almost where my body bends. Walking feels fine and I figured that as long as I'm up and walking about, I might as well do something useful.
I guess what I'm asking is...If I don't have increased pain or discharge, I'm ok, right?
Leena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 03:46 PM

Wow! It sounds like you may be overdoing it, just a bit. But, I know what you mean about going stir-crazy! Your body will definitely let you know when you overdo things. Whenever I overdid it, the next day I would be wiped out and would nap literally the whole day. I also would feel twinges of pain in my abdomen.

I think the walking is okay, just as long as you're not lifting anything heavy. The bending might be too much. I think all in all your body is going to let you know. Take advantage of this time and rest as much as you can, before you know it you will be back to a normal schedule.

Glad to hear you're actually feeling so well so soon after!
Unread 01-03-2005, 03:47 PM

Just try to be careful. I know that it is hard to sit around, but you are still healing. I hope you don't have to pay for your activities later. Be so careful.

Cherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 03:50 PM

I am with you there. I too have been feeling really good. I usually take three walks and do what I can around the house. (No bending or lifting). Sitting is uncomforable. I had my surgery 12/20. I am amazed at how good I feel. I have only been in the car a couple of times, and do not like it. I am not saying I don't have my moments where I feel twinges or tired, but I listen to my body as best I can. I am glad to hear you are doing so well. I am new to this, so I rely a lot on the support and guidance of the ladies here who know a lot more about this than I do.
Unread 01-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I'm 2 weeks tomorrow and also doing well
I am going for my 1st post op appoint at 3:00 tomorrow and am hoping to be cleared to drive.

Yesterday I went to the MOVIES... with DSO and then back home. Tonight I'm thinking about venturing out for about 30 minutes to go to the hallmark store and pick up some more thank you cards.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. Riding in the car doesn't seem to bother me so I'm hoping to be able to drive. At least short distances. I have such CONTROL issues.
Unread 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM

Your body will most likely tell you you've done too much!

At one week post op, you sound to me like you are doing too much.

I could only drag my butt off the couch, shuffle to the bathroom to pee, shuffle around the living room and through the kitchen for my "cardio" and then back to the couch.

Everyone heals at different rates and has different energy levels, but I can say pretty confidently that after only one week, you might very well be doing too much!

If it is too difficult to sit upright, lay down. Prop two bed pillows up on the arm of the couch, but a heating pad in between, get your favorite cozy blanket, get a glass of ice cold water, put on your favorite TV show and RELAX! Housework can wait and dinner can be ordered in!

Take care!

Sarah
Unread 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
resuming activities

I was told by my doc I could drive after one week if I felt comfortable doing so. I walked a ton-up and down the block, around the house, about every hour or so for 10 minutes for the first few weeks. I did light housework, but didn't lift laundry baskets or anything-I carried a handful of clothes to the washer. I couldn't bend-I had 40some staples and stitches from hip to hip and a small vertical incision also.

I let the house, the cooking the cleaning go-my DH did it or it didn't get done. I spent my time walking in between resting. At two weeks I was cleared to putt and chip around the golf course so I did that for two weeks until I was cleared for everything at 4 weeks.

Don't need to be in a hurry, but laying around doing nothing can also make recovery more difficult. My doc said not to do anything too strenous but to do what I felt like doing. A lot depends on how you feel. And also if you have a bad day now and then that is the time to rest-I didn't always do more each day-more like each week.

Happy healing
Unread 01-03-2005, 05:34 PM

I just wondered if you're on pain meds? My story is that when I was 1-2 weeks I felt great when I was medicated. I would overdo it because I felt so great and then I would take more pain meds. I was realizing that this was a cycle for me. Take pills, overdo it, take some more. I have since weaned off the meds unless I absoutely need them. Just be careful you don't do the same thing. I'm glad I realized what I was doing because that would of been a good way to get addicted to the meds. I guess I'm just glad I realized what I was doing. I hope this could keep someone else from making the same mistake. Also keep in mind that all the effects of the anathesia might not be gone either. If none of this applies to you than you go girl!!! Consider yourself very lucky.
Tracy
Unread 01-03-2005, 05:48 PM

I am 5 days post op and have that same restless feeling.
I am trying not to do too much as I am still running a low grade fever. Have to go to doctor on Thursday to find out why. How far can we walk? A couple blocks? A mile? Tomorrow I think I will walk my dog the whole usual dog walk I use to take with her and then clean up the office and file papers. As far as staying on 1 floor and not going up and down stairs except twice a day I don't think I am gonna make it a week. What I really would like to know is when can I get back on the treadmill and start working out again. OK your not the only one....who is anxious to get back to normal.
Unread 01-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Listen to your body. I know a lot of women aren't able to be very active for quite some time after surgery but I didn't have that problem at all. Granted I had a TVH and not a TAH but I was able to walk 2 miles a day when I was 48 hours post-op. For me that was a good level of activity that didn't cause me any pain or discomfort. Now almost 3 weeks out, I'm feeling 100%. I haven't had ANY pain in over a week. The only discomfort I have is from the stitches from my suspension---which happen to be on my hinney, right where I sit. As my doc said--use your common sense--if it hurts, stop and if you're tired, rest.

Love and blessings,
Angie K

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register