HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anti-nausea drugs before surgery? Anti-nausea drugs before surgery?

Unread 01-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Anti-nausea drugs before surgery?

My LSH is scheduled for Jan. 19. The possibility of post-operative nausea and vomiting is almost more frightening to me than the upcoming surgery itself. (A princess definitely does not want to have her business yanked out and then be stitched up only to have to endure further displeasure!) I have been reading about the drug Zofran, which can either be given intravenously on the day of surgery or as a tablet before surgery. Has anyone used this drug? Was it effective? Can anyone offer other recommendations on how to avoid post-op sickness?
Unread 01-08-2005, 06:58 PM

I was also very worried about nausea after surgery.

I discussed it with my doctor at my pre-op and then at my surgical prep with my anesthesiologist.

When I got to recovery, the first thing the recovery nurse asked me was if I was nauseous, and when I said yes, she put something in my IV within moments (because it was already prescribed).

Zofran sounds like a wonderful option as well.

Medicine has come a long way from when I was a child and threw up after every procedure. Just be sure to communicate with your doctors and nursing team about your fears.

Take care.
Unread 01-08-2005, 07:27 PM

I was given antacid (zantac) before surgery to control the acid (prevent nausea) and then a dose of phenergan afterwards (before leaving the OR) to make sure I wouldn't get sick.

I have heard of Zofran, it's my GYN's first choice for hysterectomy patients, and very effective for nausea. However, I reacted to the Zofran, and am now allergic to it. Benadryl works too!

Laura
Unread 01-08-2005, 07:51 PM

You can let your anethetist know you are concerned about nausea and vomiting post op. They can give you something with the anethesia to help with that.

My daughter and I have both had to ask for something be given during anesthesia and usually do fine.

Following surgery, there are many things that can be given. Zofran is rather expensive and they like to try others first.

Praying your surgery do well.

Jane B
Unread 01-08-2005, 08:06 PM

I talked to my doctor about the same subject at my pre-op appointment because every single narcotic pain med I have ever been on has given me severe nausea and vomiting. And you're right, that's not something we want to go through after what we just went through.

My doctor wrote on the chart to have them give me anti-nausea meds (sorry she didn't say what) before surgery and then right in my IV afterward when they give me the morphine. So, I would also suggest that you talk to them before surgery and I am sure they will give you what you need. After all, that's their job.

Good luck.

Lisa
Unread 01-08-2005, 11:01 PM

I have problems with acid refelx disease so I made sure I told them about it and then I asked the nurse if they would give me something so I would not get sick and she said yes they would give me 3 different things and even though I dont have to take my Zantac very often the doctor ordered it for me everyday.
So when ever I have surgery I ask for something to keep me from getting sick.
Julie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway