HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what exactly is a ca count? what exactly is a ca count?

Unread 01-10-2005, 11:42 AM
what exactly is a ca count?

Please let me know exactly what a ca count or number is. I have been reading that everyone knows their numbers. I haven't gotten any information about this numbrer from my doctor and I am getting very nernous again. Do I need to know this. Should I expect him to tell me. Thanks, Connie
Unread 01-10-2005, 11:56 AM

((Connie))

Many women with ovarian cancer are monitored with a lab test called a CA-125. Normal for this test is under 35. It is not often used for other cancers, although some gyn oncs order it as part of their pre-hyst blood work.

I think this is the test you are wondering about.

Dorrie
Unread 01-10-2005, 12:05 PM
is it used for uterine cancer also

would it be used for uterine cancer also? Connie
Unread 01-10-2005, 01:03 PM

The CA-125 is specific to ovarian cancer. I have not heard of docs using it for endometrial or uterine cancer.

Dorrie
Unread 01-10-2005, 01:13 PM

Some gyn-oncs also use the CA-125 to monitor for recurrences of endometrial cancer. My gyn-onc ordered a CA-125 shortly after I completed treatment for endometrial cancer in 1999, and then annually for the first two years thereafter. Once I passed the two-year mark, I was no longer required to have the test.

This is not routinely done for all endometrial cancer patients, however. I was monitored more closely than other women who were treated for endometrial cancer because I was at an elevated risk for recurrence.

I would suggest you check with your gyn-onc to see whether he/she intends to use the CA-125 to monitor you.

Take care,

MoeKay
Unread 01-10-2005, 02:18 PM
What made you high risk?

What makes someone high risk for recurrence? If I am high risk at stage lC2 what do I need to know?

Thanks, Connie
Unread 01-11-2005, 06:14 AM

Hi, Connie,

Your gyn-onc is in the best position to go over all of your pathology results and advise you on your risk of recurrence. In my case, in addition to being a surgical stage 1C, grade 2, my gyn-onc had "clinically" staged me as a 2B because he was convinced after inspecting my uterus at the time of surgery that the tumor had invaded my cervix.

Other factors that increased my risk of recurrence were that my tumor had invaded 80% of the thickness of my myometrium. Tumor invasion into the outer 1/3 of the myometrium has been found to be a significant risk factor for recurrence. I also had extensive lymph-vascular space involvement (LVSI) by the tumor. This is not the same thing as having the tumor cells found in the lymph nodes (all 30 of my nodes removed were tumor-free). However, LVSI puts endometrial cancer patients at an increased risk of recurrence.

Because of the presence of the above factors, I had somewhere in the range of 30 to 45% chance of recurrence if I had no additional treatment after surgery. This was why I needed internal and external radiation, which reduced my risk of recurrence to the 15-20% range.

I completed treatment in August 1999, and have been recurrence-free since then. Good luck in getting your gyn-onc to answer all of your questions.

Best regards,

MoeKay

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway