HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Premarin Withdrawal Symptoms Premarin Withdrawal Symptoms

Unread 01-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Premarin Withdrawal Symptoms

This is my first try with a forum so please bear with me. I am 56 years old and had a hysterectomy at 29. After several years of experimenting with different combinations of homones my gyno & I finally found that my level of sanity only worked with 1 premarin .625 mg in the am and 2 of the .625 at night. This has worked well for all these years. Unfortunately my Dr. retired over a year ago and my new Dr. & all her colleagues agreed that I have to cut back. This was a week ago and I've been having some side effects like mood swings, unable to sleep, and others. I have problems with most medications so they were unable to give me something other than what I already take to help out. I would like to know if anyone else who has taken premarin for many years and cut back or stopped has had side effects and how long does it take to get over the withdrawal.?? The Dr. couldn't answer my questions since they had not had anyone else on premarin for that long or that dosage. Meanwhile I'm going crazy and don't have far to go!!!!
Unread 01-13-2005, 01:02 PM

If you have been feeling fine, why change? I know a lot of females that have been using it for 30 yrs and they are fine. In my case unfortunately inmediately that I began to use premarin I started getting huge water lumps in my breast and had to stop, but other than that it was good. good luck I am still searching for a balance in my life...with hormones
Unread 01-13-2005, 01:51 PM

It was not my idea to change but the Dr. insisted and refused to write me a RX for the full dosage. I did tell them that after a month if things did not improve we would have to discuss this further.
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:36 PM

I had a male doctor that did not want to let me try a hormone that I really wanted to try and I looked at him square in the face and said "if I cut off both your testicles would you not try everything to feel normal again, ie. every type of testerone and dosage to get back the old you." He thought about it and said point well taken. lol Doctors really have no clue about hrt unless they have been through it and I have yet to find one that has. The 3 women gyns in my city were just as or more ignorant and demeaning then their counterpart males in my quest to get balanced. Be frank and tell him that it is your health, life and wellbeing and that you deserve to live it out in peace and happiness and that your quest in hormones took quite some time to get it correct and you dont feel like rocking your hormonal boat at this time in your life. If not, get a new doctor.
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetRyn
I had a male doctor that did not want to let me try a hormone that I really wanted to try and I looked at him square in the face and said "if I cut off both your testicles would you not try everything to feel normal again, ie. every type of testerone and dosage to get back the old you." He thought about it and said point well taken. lol Doctors really have no clue about hrt unless they have been through it and I have yet to find one that has. The 3 women gyns in my city were just as or more ignorant and demeaning then their counterpart males in my quest to get balanced. Be frank and tell him that it is your health, life and wellbeing and that you deserve to live it out in peace and happiness and that your quest in hormones took quite some time to get it correct and you dont feel like rocking your hormonal boat at this time in your life. If not, get a new doctor.
SweetRyn Good for you! I am going to use your analogy if I need to when I see my doctor next time if you don't mind. Thanks!~Marilyn
Unread 01-14-2005, 05:05 AM

I would not call that withdrawal. You are having symptoms of low estrogen, plain and simple.

I tried Premarin, Climara, and Vivelle and finally went back to Premarin. When I expressed concerns during my physical (not GYN, GP), both my GP and his nurse said, "my mother has been on it for over 30 years and she's fine. Don't worry.". My doctor said he would never tell is mother to not take her Premarin.

You have to weigh quality of life, (your current life) with possible long term effects and I emphasize POSSIBLE. Premarin has been on the market of years and many women have taken it trouble-free.

"if I cut off both your testicles would you not try everything to feel normal again, ie. every type of testerone and dosage to get back the old you." Right On! Its amazing how clueless most doctors both male and female are!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.