HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

cystocele surgery & recovery time? cystocele surgery & recovery time?

Unread 01-15-2005, 08:59 AM
cystocele surgery & recovery time?

I had a hysterectomy 1-1/2 years ago, and now I'm pretty sure I have a cystocele. I was curious as to what kind of surgery is done for this (abdominal, vaginal, etc.) and the recovery time. Is it done by laparascopy? I just started a new job and can't take 6 weeks off right now to recovery. I hear the recovery time for laparascopy is shorter - can is be used for this kind of operation?
Unread 01-15-2005, 01:47 PM

Hi (( barco )),
I'm sorry to hear of your possible dx I was dx'd with a Vaginal Vault Prolapse which made my bladder Prolapse as well I haven't underwent surgical repair of mine as my symptoms haven't worsened. More surgery is risky in my case so I'm delaying it as long as I can lol...

From what I have seen & read there are various methods in repairing this, depending on which procedure you decide upon, the recovery can vary. Anything performed Laproscopicaly is usually a shorter recovery. Surgeons use which will be best based upon the symptoms, degree of Prolapse along with their own skill level.

Here are a few links I found in our Resources that contain some info on these procedures that might help answer some of your questions & concerns:

Repair of the bladder (cystocele) or urethra (urethrocele):
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=jump&lid=967

Surgery for Apical Vaginal Prolapse:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=jump&lid=963

Here also is the link to the Bladder section of Resources that may contain some additional links regarding this complication:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=23

Do you have an appt with your Dr to discuss what is going on ? I'm sure he/she can be of more help in what they feel will be best for you

I'm sure others will come along shortly who have had these repairs done and can share some more personal experience and advice

Please let us know how things progress...hopefully you can find some answers & relief to this soon.....(((hugs)))
Unread 01-15-2005, 05:08 PM

Hi Barco,

I had my TAH/BSO 2 1/2 years ago. I thought I had a cystocele also, and so did my uro/gyn. That is, until he thoroughly examined me with some kind of a camera (painless) and still pictures were taken. Turns out that an enterocle is the cause of my real problems, while I do have a cystocele & rectocele they aren't my biggest problem. I'm scheduled to have A&P repairs, reduction of the enterocele sac & right sacro spinous ligament suspension on 3/2/05. My dr. told me he has a very high rate of success & he does the repairs vaginally. He gives his patients 6 weeks off....most don't need the full 6 weeks, but no way will he allow me to return to work before 4 weeks. I hope this helps you out some. I strongly recommend that you see a uro/gyn, they are the real experts for diagnosis and repairs. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:10 PM

Hi
I am scheduled for rectocele/enterocele repair in 10 days. My gyn said he will do it all vaginally. I will not be permitted to lift anything heavier than 1 gallon of milk for 4 weeks, then gradually increase activity. He did not say how long I will be off.
I have to see a urologist Tuesday, because according to the urodynamic tests I took, I also have stress incontinence and was recommended by the urogyn to have a urethral suspension. I am also to be checked for a cystocele, because alot of times stress continence is associated with a cystocele. Surgery for the S.C. will be done by the urologist and my gyn would do the a/p repairs.
This does sound like alot to go through, but you would want everything fixed at once.

Huntingandmoon
I am wondering, how is the enterocele causing most of the problems? I have one too. I did read somewhere that after the enterocele is reduced, stress continence can occur.Do you have any info you can share with me? I would appreciate it. Hopefully the uro. will also use a camera to look up there when I see him Tuesday. I don't want anything to be missed. My pre surgery appt with my gyn is supposed to be Wed.

Peggy
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:12 PM

oooppps!
I mean stress incontinence.
sorry
Unread 01-16-2005, 08:46 AM

Thanks for all your responses. I haven't made an appointment yet with my Dr. I've just noticed that I am feeling a little vaginal pressure and need to urinate more often. My last visit was 7 months ago and my Dr said I have slight vaginal prolapse, so I'm pretty sure it's a cystocele or one of the other prolapses that happen. I haven't rushed to visit the doctor yet, because other than surgery, I'm not sure there's much she can do for me. Maybe a pessary, but I don't know if I want that yet. She discussed that briefly with me when I had my prolapsed uterus, but I decided to have a hysterectomy because I didn't want my uterus falling out of me for the rest of my life. If I do have a cystocele, I'm not reading too many good things about the surgery - it seems that it doesn't last and more surgery will probably be necessary down the road. So as far as options - nothing looks like a permanent solution to me. I really have had trouble finding a urogyn - my insurance doesn't have a section listed for them - just gyn and urologist separately - I have bcbs. I'm in Northern Virginia and it's a very populated area so I'm sure they are out there - I just don't know how to find them. Thanks for your replies.
Unread 01-16-2005, 02:17 PM

Hi Barco & mtdewpeg!!

Barco: Urology is a sub-specialty of gynocology, and so you won't find a specific listing in the phone book, like you would for a Gyn/Onc. Go to the American Society of Uro/Gynocologist on the web, they have a place the asks if you want to locate one in your area. My daughter lives in Northern Virginia & you're right...there HAS TO be one there!!

Mtdewpeg: I haven't read anywhere that a reduction of the enterocele sac causes stress incontinence, but I will surely ask my doctor about that possibility when I see him in February. Most of my problems are lower back pain, pelvic pain and the openning of my vagina ALWAYS had a bulge completely covering the openning. My doctor said the enteroceles cause the most pain because of the dropping & pulling in the abdomen and for some reason I feel wiped out with the achey sort of feeling. After I'm on my feet for a while I need to lie down. Sitting is okay, but lying down is the only way to get some relief! Good luck to you both & keep me posted!
Unread 01-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Gave you the wrong web address!

Hi Barco,

I'm so sorry, the correct web address is:

American urogynecologic Society

I went under Resources here at Hystersisister, clicked onto Bladder Matters, scrolled all the way down - 3rd to last - and found the societies correct name. Hope this helps you out!
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Huntingandmoon - I will definitely check out the website - thanks much!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.