HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Over 50? - Thee and Me!

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

???Anyone have ADD/ADHD??? ???Anyone have ADD/ADHD???

Unread 01-18-2005, 07:00 AM
???Anyone have ADD/ADHD???

Hi!!!

I was wondering if any of us "over 50" are dealing with ADD or ADHD???

If so, how did you recognize it was this??? And what adjustments, coping skills do you use???

Almost 10 years ago, before there was all this "buzz" about adult ADD, I thought that I had symptoms of ADD. My doc put me on medication and I was really focused. Then we moved, and the new doctor said I had depression.

Well, right now I'm not happy with the results of being on anti-depressants for 8 years and have been doing some reading that you can have both ADD & depression.

So, just wondering what experiences my friends here at Hystersisters have had.

bliss
Unread 01-19-2005, 05:13 PM
AADD

Yes, I *feel*like I could be the poster girl for Adult ADD. Due to being off of HRT and menopause, I believe mine is hormonal - or.. lack there of. It's difficult to concentrate.. really concentrate on any one thing. Some days are better than others.

My experience with anti depressants has been pure hell.
I can't handle them (and I've been prescribed many) unless I want to go into major tailspins... So far it's been a matter of one foot in front of the other, dealing as best I can. If the mood lows get too bad I can normally find my way out of it with a funny movie, or being productive.. so I doubt mine is true clinical depression, which is very serious.There was a time I took St. John's Wort, but after reading about it more, I felt it wasn't right for my body. Plus, it did little to help. Exercise seems to do more than anything... and the motivation lows are the real beast. I'm researching natural ways to help the long list of symptoms.. and maybe one of these days I'll find some balance. Little to no attention span happens to go hand-in-hand with the other hormonal woes I'm experiencing.

I would think treating true ADD and Depression would be quite different... hope you can get some good answers.
Unread 01-19-2005, 07:35 PM
???Anyone have ADD/ADHD???

Hi Bliss While I'm not, yet, over 50, I know all about ADHD: I have it, DH has it and DS is the only one officially diagnosed with the the condition.

For me, the ah-ah moment came when I was researching the condition for my DS: as I was reading the symptoms and behaviors I kept thinking "That's not him. That's me". I would also wonder what was the big fuss about those symptoms: didn't everyone act like this? That's when I realized that most of my family members also have it!!!! My mom has always been very distracted and childish. My sister was formally diagnosed with it as a child, back when it was called "Hyperactivity". And my brother is the poster child for ADHDers, hyperactive sub-type!!!!

None of us, except DS, are medicated. Like you, when I was in my early 40s and having a really hard time coping, I attempted gettinga formal diagnosis: I was dubbed as depressed. Well... I was sad, I was burned out, but I wasn't clinically depressed!!!

It used to be that the medical community believed that ADHD was a childhood "disease" and that Bi-Polar Disorder was an adult condition. It doesn't help that, in children, BPD looks a lot like ADHD and that in adult ADHD looks like depression!!! But you're right, both conditions do not have the same treatment, though some of the meds used are the same.

These days, I realize that I have developped a lot of control mechanisms and, aside for the chronic procrastination, I think I'm succeeding
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Re: ???Anyone have ADD/ADHD???

hay i am not alone out their age 54 and add and bipolar . what a ride and glad i am not alone
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:59 PM

I bust 50 next January. I was talking to a friend about ADHD & mentioned my life was like a runaway remote. She lent me a book about women with ADD. That was 15 years ago, so I don't remember the title. It fit me to a T. A while back, I was talking to my Dr & told him about my suspicion of ADD. He told me that since the signs fit, I probably have it. He told me that if it were a problem & I wanted meds, he'd set me up for testing & meds.

I didn't want it on my medical records because we don't have insurance through a job, & they keep swapping things out. I feel I need to keep pre-existing stuff to a minimum for as long as possible. Besides, I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the meds. Another friend told me he is on meds, which are time released. He loves them.
Unread 09-29-2011, 01:54 PM

OM GOSH!!! This forum in incredible!! I was just searching for the same advice! I gave been taking concerta 36 in am and 18 pm forever! I am post op 9 days and having a bit of trouble. I am going to talk to my doctor to see what he recommends…I kept both ovaries but I am pretty emotional right now and my meds are not working quite right. Any advice?
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:09 AM

I am 54 and I swear I have ADD ....I can start washing dishes and then bounce to putting clothes in the washing machine, only to go into the bathroom and start cleaning my sink and then back to doing dishes again UGH, does anyone else do this? it makes me nuts!!
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:02 PM

I'm like Dany, figured out "it's me!" when I was researching thinking my daughter was ADD...one book said "if your child has it, there's a 90% chance one of the parents has it"...
gjax - sounds just like me! I just call it "multi-tasking"...then try to refocus!!!
I have never been medicated...rely on lists and years of experience of coping!
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:36 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone, I'm still multi tasking ESLTEACH UGH!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.