HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Had Hysterectomy, still have Ovaries Had Hysterectomy, still have Ovaries

Unread 01-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Had Hysterectomy, still have Ovaries

Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone knows the answer to my question. I know it may sound dumb to those of you that know the answer, but no one I know seems to know the answer.
If I have had a Hysterectomy, yet I still have my Ovaries do I still ovulate? Can you still have PMS symptoms? Would oral Contriceptives help with the feelings that I had before the Hysterectomy. Meaning moody, irritable etc... If anyone has any input on this issue i sure would like some responses.
Thanks,
Shireen
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:25 AM

Hi Shireen. I had a TAH and kept my ovaries and you don't have a DUMB question at all! In fact, I asked my Doc the day he released me from the hospital! You do still ovulate...the eggs just "go away". As far as PMS symtoms, etc. I didn't ask about those...that's a great question though! I'd like to know if i need to keep my Pamprin around!
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:47 AM

Hi Shireen,

I'm 4 weeks post-op (TAH, kept ovaries) and wondered the same thing. I had terrible PMS prior to surgery and am hoping against hope that it went away with my uterus. From everything I've heard and read, we have a 50/50 chance to continue with the PMS since our ovaries are still producing hormones. Some ladies symptoms seem to go away, while others don't. I don't know what the difference is, but if anyone does, I'd love to know too.

I've had lots of emotional ups and downs since the surgery and I'm just hoping it's part of the surgical experience and will go away with more recovery. I'm holding on to my pamprin and other PMS meds until I know for sure.

God Bless your recovery, Cndrella
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Hi.

At my six week post op, I asked my doctor about my ovaries and hormonal stuff.

He said that as long as your ovaries are working correctly, you will experience the stuff you did before, except for the bleeding and cramping.

So, if you are a sister that suffered with PMS, you will still have those symptoms, maybe a little less, but you will still experience them.

This is what my doc said...others may tell you differently. I can attest to my docs words and say that since my surgery I believe I have had PMS symptoms where I had the grouchies and was a little irritable.

Check with your doc...he may have different views.

Hugs,
Sarah
Unread 01-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Thank you for your answers

I appreciate the quick responses to my questions. Has anyone been back on birth control for the hormones of it to see if that helps to feel better? Just curious to see if that would work.
I'm willing to do anything that won't husr me of course. I get low dull backache, neausea, that leads to vomiting, headache. I 'm down for 3-4 days and this happens about every 2 weeks. How can I take care of my family like this. Been told to go t a Gastrointerologist next week to see if I have other gut issues. I hope it really isn't Chrones. they thought that was my brob about 5 yrs ago, then did the hyster after I gave birth. He was 3 mo old. It was very hard with a new born baby. I guess I just want some answers and they don't seem to be out there.
Thanks for your time.
Shireen
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Questions

Hi Shireen,

Don't give up hope. The answers ARE out there. Sometimes it just takes more patience and time than we want.

I would think that if the birth control pills work for hormone levels before a hysterectomy, that they would also work afterwards if you've kept your ovaries. Talk with your doctor to know for sure what the best treatment is though.Has anyone ever thought to refer you to an Endocrinologist?

I hope you find some answers at the Gastrointerologist. Hopefully he/she will be able to at least eliminate your vomiting. You need some relief!

Keep searching! Those answers are out there! I'll keep you in my prayers.

God Bless, Cndrella
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:26 AM
bc pills

I am one year post op and I still severe pms, including back cramps from my ovaries, bloating, headaches, moodiness and sore breasts. It is awful some months, not only do I get that but I get painful ovulation that lasts 2 days. After a couple different medications that did not work my doctor but me on a 3 month birth control pills to see if that helps. It will for sure help the ovulation I just hope that it helps the pms symptoms as well. The week I am suppose to be on my period I feel soooo bad that I am in bed for most of the week it is awful!! If this doesnt work he wants to try lupron put I am not sure if I want to do that or not... Good luck, Kris1975
Unread 01-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Kris1975

I am sorry to hear that you still suffer with pms. I suffered from horrible pms. After my hyster, most of it went away. My doc told me that after a year, the pms would be 99% gone. I just found out this past weekend thay my MIL got psm after having her hysterectomy. She never suffered from it before. From what I have read on the matter, most women no longer have pms after having a hyster, which means a few still suffer afterwards.
Unread 01-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that so many still have PMS troubles.

I was having such cramps, bloating and emotional upheaval pre-op that I would sometimes just hang on til the weekend and then spend both days in bed watching chick flicks and eating chocolate.

Now I do still get about a day of my breasts feeling "full" and maybe a bit "tender" but nothing like it was a year ago. And if I'm not drinking my full measure of water (in other words too much pop/coffee instead) my feet get puffy for a couple of days.

But definitely I don't have the quick temper and fast tears that I had before. I never did any kind of birth control or hormone therapy before for PMS - just Ibuprofen and try to warn those close to me that I was feeling cranky.

I hope you find relief!
Unread 01-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions to the best of their knowledge and experience. It helps a person know what to ask their doctors.

I sure do love how kind evewryone is and that we have somewhere to go and chat about these things so you don't feel so alone.
Thanks again!!!

Everyone take care!

Shireen

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.