HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what's this about the anesthesia "wearing off" at 3 weeks? what's this about the anesthesia "wearing off" at 3 weeks?

Unread 01-17-2001, 07:28 AM
what's this about the anesthesia "wearing off" at 3 weeks?

now, i know that suggestion is a powerful force, but i thought that since i Knew that, it wouldn't affect me that much...i really need to know -- Does the anesthesia tend to wear off at about 3 wks, making the abdominal pain worse than before for a while? i had read it in a couple of spots on this site -- and not really thought about it. i had been doing pretty good, i thought, giving up the percoset after just a day or two at home, using the big ibuprofren horse pills to keep the pain in control, and...suffering, but not too much. but as my 3 wks date gets closer (fri), my belly is starting to hurt More! in fact, yesterday it was down-right Miserable. i asked a friend who is a nurse about the anesthesia wearing off, and she hadn't heard of it. i also asked my brother -- he's a pharmacist -- and He didn't know about it. of course, she's a school nurse and he doesn't specialize in after-surgery pharmacy, if that's even possible, so...what's the scoop, girls? is this normal, or should i be calling my dr.? in fact, i have my first post-op visit tomorrow -- it's about a 40 min. ride and now i'm not sure if i can drive myself...help! anybody have an idea of what i should do?
Unread 01-17-2001, 07:42 AM

I don't know if it is related to anesthesia or the stitches dissolving. Personally, for me, I think it was the stitches. I started seeing them around 2 1/2 weeks and I definitely noticed more tenderness and pain in the abdomen at that point. I think it is normal. As for driving, I did not attempt that until 4 weeks post op. I really did not feel up to it-- very sore if I turned to look behind and uncomfortable overall. You should get someone to take you if you feel that driving is a problem (assuming you have been released to drive ???)

Try to rest more with your feet up; that helped me.

Take care and good luck with your check up.

Unread 01-17-2001, 08:01 AM

I am three weeks today, post vag hyst, posterior repair...I get discomfort, not really pain, after an orgasm...and it lasts for a while, I think it is normal, certainly worth it.
Have not seen stitches yet, but was told to expect them soon. I do get a slight pain on L ovary area, sometimes, but had this before, no big deal...nothing at all like problems before surgery.
Unread 01-17-2001, 08:22 AM

Hi Mollie,

You might have heard about the anesthesia thing from one of my posts. Though anesthesia doesn't suddenly "wear off" at 3 weeks, it does remain in the body for awhile after surgery, sometimes for months. It is slowly metabolized out of the system over time. Blood level tests have shown this. That is a reason why hyst patients may experience "brain fog" in the early weeks and a lack of ability to concentrate (read books, etc).

So, at 3 weeks, there is less of it (and pain meds) remaining in the system and, as Sharon said, stitches are also starting to dissolve. The two things together can mean that you suddenly seem to feel your surgery "more" than before, which is perplexing to many.

Take this new awareness of your surgery as your body's request for lots of rest, and do try to get someone to drive you to the Dr.

One more hint: Sitting is an ACTIVITY! Prolonged sitting can put undue pressure on all those stitches, leaving you more sore and swollen. So break up the sitting spells and get rest with your feet UP! I'll bet you will see an improvement.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 01-17-2001, 08:23 AM

Hi Mollie:

I think what may be happening is that some of the nerves that were damaged or traumatized during surgery are now repairing themselves and weighing in with an opinion on what was done to them Seriously, you may notice that some of the numbness around your incision site (if you have one) is receding and you may just be feeling more. Definitely something to discuss with your doctor on Friday just in case though. I'd recommend getting some help with the driving. 40 minutes is a long drive at this point in your recovery. Take it slow and easy. Hope all goes well.
Unread 01-17-2001, 10:22 AM
thanks!

i've got to tell everyone -- it's sooo nice to get answers -- real answers, not "pat," dr's office answers -- to my questions! and even tho i would never wish pain on anyone, it's kind of nice to know that i am Not alone in all of this...my appt. is thursday (did i type in "fri" -- yikes! that must be the brain fog thing at work!), and i've been kind of having second thoughts about driving myself...since i've read yr posts and advice, i think i really will see if any of my friends can drive me...
and linda -- yr explanation makes wonderful sense! it feels so much better to know that there's a Reason for my discomfort....even the info about "brain fog" is something that i hadn't thought of -- i thought i had suddenly acquired add or something, lol. now, i think i shall take yr advice even more seriously -- and go put my feet up for awhile. later, gators.....mollie
Unread 01-17-2001, 11:27 AM

Like Galen, I found the nerves snapping out of it, too. At day 13 or 14 I woke up and realized the nerves that report stinging sensations were up and around. Others came back online over the next week or so.
Unread 01-18-2001, 10:40 AM

Hi Mollie and all other sisters,

I just had my 4 week post op yesterday (actually 4 weeks today) and I too had been experiencing increased sensitivity in my abdomen. Right after surgery it was very numb from my navel to my incision and has been slowly gaining sensitivity, some ok some not ok (but not real bad). I spoke to my doctor about it and she said that there are many microscopic nerves that are cut during surgery and they are in the process of healing therefore we experience the increased sensistivity. It's good to know that the numbness is wearing off and I hope I to recovery completely from the numbness.

On another note, my exam went well I have 2 more weeks of recovery before returning to work. The only concern I have now is that my right side feels heavy when standing and I have some discomfort there. My left side feels very well healed at this point. My dr. said it is still healing and it will get better. It's been this way for about a week and 1/2 and It has gotten somewhat better. I just want it to be much better, you know, no complications.

Thanks ladies for hearing me out.

Stephanie
12/21 STAH(kept cervix and both ovaries)
hyst due to adenomyosis

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway