HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

can rectocele and cystocele go away over time????? can rectocele and cystocele go away over time?????

Unread 01-22-2005, 09:43 AM
can rectocele and cystocele go away over time?????

hi,
i was just told by my dr. 2 week's ago i have both a mild cystocele and a mild rectocele... she has placed me on Primpro... i have been taking it for almost 2 weeks and it seem's to be feeling so much better, she also told me to do "excecises" and that has also been helping in the sex department...
my question is will they go away or will it get worse over time? i don't want surgery at all and she told me that she wants me to avoid it if i can....
i hope these pills and excercses help becasue i want to go on with my life and be semi-normal again!
and Sex has been just great latley and i want it to stay like that.
thanx for the imput!
Unread 01-22-2005, 10:21 AM

I don't know about the cystocele, but I don't think the rectocele will go away. The rectocele is caused by stretched and/or torn tissues that won't repair themselves.

My gyn said that many women with small rectoceles never even know they have them. He said even if you know about it, you could go without surgery indefinitely if you can keep it from getting worse. That's by doing pelvic exercises and getting lots of fiber. However, some women need stool softeners too because just adding fiber to the diet isn't enough for everyone.

Unfortunately my rectocele was bulging out of my vagina and wasn't something I was willing to live with any more. On the bright side, once my prolapsed uterus was removed my slight cystocele resolved itself!
Unread 01-22-2005, 10:47 AM

If you are doing well, I would put off surgery as long as possible.
I had a rectocele, cystocele etc. done 18 months ago.
And I wish I hadn't.
I wasn't doing that bad before the surgery, I was managing the symptoms and with exercise and better diet I was feeling pretty good.
My doc didn't encourage me at all to put it off (and I hadn't found hystersisters yet), in fact he downplayed all aspects of the surgery and as I now know, it can be a very difficult recovery.
Cystocele repairs can also cut alot of nerves in the vagina, which could diminish your sexual response.
Listen to your body, get appropriate exercise, eat well and listen to your doc, he sounds like a good one.
Best wishes,
Jan
Unread 01-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I have both

Rectoceles & cystocele don't go away on their own. Modifications to diet, drink and exercise can prevent them from getting worse. If yours are relatively sympton free, then it will prolong the time before surgery is necessary. I have heard of women managing them this way and not having to have surgery. I wans't so lucky.

Levanah
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Re: can rectocele and cystocele go away over time?????

Quote:
Originally posted by coffeelover
hi,
i was just told by my dr. 2 week's ago i have both a mild cystocele and a mild rectocele... she has placed me on Primpro... i have been taking it for almost 2 weeks and it seem's to be feeling so much better,
Prempro is HRT and I didn't think it was supposed to be given to women who have had a hyst. I will have to check into that (you should too) but I don't see how hormone replacement is going to help a cystocele or rectocele. I know they will not go away but can be managed to avoid surgery if mild. Check on that prempro though, as will I, but I swear in the commercial it says not to be taken if you have had a hyst.
I hope you feel better soon and please keep us updated.
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:34 PM

Yep, I went to prempro.com and it said that you should only have premarin if you have had a hyst. so I am wondering why your doc prescribed this to you.
Unread 01-22-2005, 08:09 PM

Oh ((((sweetie)))) I'm sorry to disappoint you, but prolapses do not go away on their own As the others have stated, meds and devices such as pressaries can help prevent the prolapses from getting worse, but they can't repair the damage. However, if you're feeling better and the celes are not increasing, it may mean that you can either prevent a repair surgery or at least delay it for several years.
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:18 AM

Marian,
Progestin or progesterone is often prescribed for those that have had endo. Estrogen can feed endo and it is believed that the progestin can offset that effect. Also, while many doctors say no uterus = no progesterone, many have found progesterone to be beneficial after a hysterectomy. It does have other benefits besides protecting the uterus.

Coffelover, I'm glad that you're feeling better. I will say a er that this will continue. Do keep us posted.
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:37 AM
increased recotcele post TVH

I had a slight rectocele prior to my TVH 6 weeks ago. It has now increased and I can feel it pusing in my vagina. At my 6 week check my dr. confirmed the increase and said to wait 6 weeks to 3 months before having surgery. I was hoping that diet and kegel exercises would help. I am not looking forward to more surgery but it is uncomfortable to have something pushing in your vagina. Plus it really is a sharp stabing pain in rectal/vaginal area with coughing or sneezing--I have a cold this weekend

What is the surgery/recovery/hospital stay like for rectocele repair?
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kim M
Marian,
Progestin or progesterone is often prescribed for those that have had endo. Estrogen can feed endo and it is believed that the progestin can offset that effect. Also, while many doctors say no uterus = no progesterone, many have found progesterone to be beneficial after a hysterectomy. It does have other benefits besides protecting the uterus.

Kim,

I had endo, but I am only taking estrogen, so I guess it is diff doc, diff opinion on HRT? I just remember seeing the commercial and then went to the website and they said no....what other benefit would progesterone have?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.