HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Second cystocele repair Second cystocele repair

Unread 01-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Question - Second cystocele repair Second cystocele repair:abdominal incision?

I have just discovered this site: how I wish that I had known about it in the last five years!
I am having a second op for a cystocele on 28 Feb. My last was in 2000, when I also had a rectocele repair and vaginal vault suspension. My uro-gynaecologist--very skilled--has said that she hoped to do it vaginally, as before, but might find at the op that she would have to do it abdominally. I know that this would make a huge difference in recovery time and pain. Has anyone had this repair with an abdominal incision? Would that make it a similar experience to the hysterectomy?
Can I also add some advice to all you first-timers who feel good and start to lift heavy things again--or do sit-ups--or leg-raises--DON'T!! Not ever!!
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Second cystocele repair

Hi,
I had a TVH with bladder sling 6 wks ago. I did have a 3 inch incision above my pubic bone. I did not have a lot of pain, just a stinging sensation.

You will do fine. My prayers are with you that you will have a speedy recovery.

s Lois
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Second cystocele repair

Hello! I am almost 6 weeks post op, and my incision is still tender, but will heal soft, and strong soon enough! I am ok with it cause it was the only way the Drs could get the work done! Rest and drink lots of water, and accept help from friends whichever way they go in!
Love, Ladybug Princess
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Second cystocele repair

Thank you for your replies. It sounds like you both have smaller incisions that I did for my hysterectomy, which is very encouraging. I have a feeling an abdominal incision will be the only way my doc can get the work done properly, too.
Very warmest wishes to you both for a continuing good recovery!!

Thank you again,

Gillian
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Second cystocele repair

Gillian,

You mentioned not doing sit-ups or leg lifts after having a cystocoele repair...not ever. Does this also apply if you have a bladder prolapse that has not yet been repaired?

I think I may have developed a bladder prolapse since my last GYN visit in October 2004. I go for a second opinion on a hysterectomy March 1st and thought I would wait until then and mention it to that doctor. Meanwhile, I have just started a new exercise class where we use an exercise ball to do crunches laying on our backs on the ball. When I did it in class last week, I noticed a terrific pulling sensation in my lower abs when I stopped and stood up afterward. At first I thought this was good, but I have noticed a more "full" feeling in my vagina in the days following. Should I stop doing these exercises? I also do a water aerobics class and we do abdominal work in there, but I don't get the same sensation when I finish those exercises.

I am trying to get in better shape and to lose weight for my general health, but also to be in better shape if I do have to go ahead with the hysterectomy. I don't want to do any more damage, though.

I'm sorry to hear that you are facing more surgery. Do you feel that doing the wrong kind of strengthening exercises has undone your first repair?

Thanks for any advice you have. Also, could you please try to describe how your cystocoele feels/ felt or looks/looked? I have looked on PelvicFloor. com, but they seem like extreme examples.

Thanks for listening!

Maggiemay
Unread 01-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Second cystocele repair

Dear Maggiemay,
On PelvicFloor.com the examples are extreme. My own prolapse was described as a 3, and the tissue from the bladder could definitely be seen by using a mirror ( a small pink ball in the vagina!) That is not where the bladder is supposeed to be! If left, you could pinch or twist the bladder neck, or get am infection, or get a more extreme prolapse. I had bladder repair and a hysterectomy as my cervex was also falling way down! At surgery, the DR found all the walls in there were weak and he did tons of stitching! I am still tender at 5 weeks, and taking things easy! I do not have a "full" feeling in the vagina anymore, and I will not have to worry about damaging my bladder while loving my DH! (I was so afraid of that.)
I read lots of messages on HysterSisters after my surgeries and learned so much more than I even though was out there to know! Get lots of information from lots of sources--and talk to your DR.
Thanks HysterSisters!
Love, Ladybug
Unread 01-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Second cystocele repair

Dear Maggiemay,
I think that my first prolapses may have been inevitable after my hysterectomy, but they were certainly made worse and hastened by my trying to get into shape after surgery. I followed the dr's instructions and when I was allowed I started running and doing exercises in the gym. I now know that running and anything high impact can cause any prolapse, including uterine prolapse.
After my first repair my uro-gyn told me never to get constipated and strain, and never to do anything that 'increased abdominal pressure.' After a couple of years I started yoga--Pilates was impossible because of all the inner core work. I was careful not to do things that obviously would cause strain, but I suspect that some of the positions may have caused it without my knowing.
Also, I got too brave about carrying groceries and luggage by myself. I like to be independent--silly me.
I had read other posts about women getting right back to housework and stuff because they felt so good after surgery--and I just wanted to caution everyone. You do feel good, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be very, very careful.
When I had my first repair surgery, my uro-gyn cautioned me that it might not last forever. But I had hoped to get a good 10 years out of it!
In terms of how it feels, it is a bulge in the top(anterior) of your vagina. If it is not so bad, it feels like a bulge(maybe like when you stick your tongue in your cheek) and when it is very bad it nearly covers the opening. It can sometimes be pushed back in, manually. If you need a BM it is sometimes worse. As you haven't had a hysterectomy, you might have a uterine prolapse, instead. So you need to get checked.
Yes I can imagine water exercise would be better as it is low impact, and you are buoyant. In fact, I was saying to my Mum that after this surgery, I expect I will only do walking and water exercise from now on!!
Hope this has helped,
Love,
Gillian
Unread 01-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Second cystocele repair

Ladybug and Gillian,

Thanks so much for your replies. I think I probably do have a prolapse of some kind, I'm thinking bladder because it is in the upper part of the opening and I have so many episodes of stress incontinence and some urge incontinence, too. I think what worries me most about it is the testing I may have to go through for a diagnosis. I just cringe when I think about a catheter, I'm sure my anticipation is much worse than the reality.

Do you think waiting until my March 1st second opinion date is okay? The sensation is annoying, but not painful. So far, it hasn't really affected my intimacy with my DH. I just don't want to wait too long an do more damage. I will be careful in my exercise classes. I may just do the water aerobics only for now.

Ladybug, all the best to you for a complete and speedy recovery.

Gillian, best wishes for a smooth surgery and recovery.

I appreciate you both sharing your experiences with me. Thank goodness I found this site and all of the "Good Sisters" here!

Maggiemay
Unread 01-31-2005, 05:11 AM
Second cystocele repair

It does sound like bladder, from your symptoms. I had to wait a few months before my first op. You might just ring your doctor with your concerns and ask for advice and if it is ok to wait. I found that wearing a tampon when I had to walk alot etc was helpful for support, last time around. This time they gave me a ring pessary(rather like a diaphragm) that helps alot, as I was retaining urine very severely.
Do be careful with the exercise and lifting anything more than 5 lbs., as it can make it worse very quickly.
I know that my consultant was glad I came in as soon as I felt it this time, because it was still comparatively mild, so you may want to let your doc decide about when to see you.
The investigations were not painful for me, just annoying. A catheter doesn't hurt. I read one of the sisters describe it as a fluttery feeling, and that is how it was for me too.
Let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to ask more for info if you need it!
Love ,
Gillian
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Second cystocele repair

I had my rectocele and enterocele repaired last week. My gyn knew I had a small cystocele, but didn't think he needed to fix it. The question is how do I keep it from getting bigger quickly, as my rectocele did?
During the period between my hyst recovery and my rectocele repair my DH and I had intercourse many times. I had no real sensation in there and it hurted. The part that hurt the most was the anterior wall on the left side. I told my dr. this. He said it could be from scar tissue. But I never had a vaginal delivery or vaginal hyst. I am thinking the pain is from it hitting my bladder. does this make sense? I have this sick feeling I will need the cystocele fixed down the road. I would of assumed to had it fixed last week while I had my other repairs.
My dr. told me yesterday no straining of any king, not even to urinate,. I told him I have to push hard to get a stream of urine out. Can the other prolapses I had hidden the size of the cystocele. I guess I will know more when the swelling from surgery goes down. I go back to my dr. in 3 weeks. I am sure he will keep a eye on it.

Peggy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.