HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Clean out before surgery.... Clean out before surgery....

Unread 01-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Clean out before surgery....

What is the name of the stuff you drink to clean yourself out the day before surgery? My doc said I could do it, but didn't tell me what kind to get....
Thanks...

Surgery Date Feb 1st. - TAH
Unread 01-25-2005, 01:55 PM

There are different preprarations. I'd call the doctor to find out whether they have a preference.

Good luck to you!
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:25 PM

i forgot what the dr told me also....i told the pharmacist what i was having done and he told me exactly what and where to find it. i also wish i han'nt mixed it with so much water.......it took forever for me to get it down.(bottom shelf.... wal mart where the laxitives are.)

Good luck

Tess
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:37 PM

i just bought it today, convienently located in the laxative aisle. It is called Fleet Phospho Soda. My Dr. suggested mixing it with gingerale to make it more palatable. I'll let you know on Sunday. Cheers!
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Thank you so much for the info... I will mix with Gingerale, great idea. My doctor is at times spacey and forgets to tell me things... A bit scarey.... I really do appreciate your quick response.... I know I could count on my sisters....

Much Love,
Kristanca
Unread 01-25-2005, 04:32 PM

It's called manesium citrate. You can get it at your pharmacy. It comes in a glass bottle.
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Phospho Soda

I just got my surgery date; it's Monday, January 31st. I, too, was told to drink clear fluids and buy the Fleet Phospho Soda. They said to drink 1/2 the bottle in the a.m. and the other 1/2 in the p.m. Then a Fleet enema (ick) on Monday morning. Thing is, if I can't drink anything on Monday, how do I take my stomach meds in the morning? I heard it's good for you to take them because it helps with anesthesia.

Good luck to you ACPD, looks like we have the same surgery date. Mine isn't until 3:45 p.m., though.

otion:
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:38 PM

Rebecca,
Are your dr's aware of the "stomach" medications you take? If not, you need to give you dr a call ASAP. If infact your dr's are aware and you've been cleared to take these medications the morning of your surgery, its advised that you take them either w/o water or with the smallest amount of water possible.
stay well
diana
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:01 PM

If it is hard to drink because of taste, try getting it REALLY cold, and use a straw to get it past the tip of your tongue while you drink it.

Some of the products can be mixed with juice - I mixed mine wiht pineapple juice because it helped kill the awful taste.
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:53 AM

These products should not be mixed with pineapple juice because pineapple juice is not a clear liquid.

Stephanie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway