HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

is there any estrogen without ovaries? is there any estrogen without ovaries?

Unread 01-29-2005, 01:06 PM
is there any estrogen without ovaries?

A friend told me that your pituitary gland and adrenal glands make estrogen in small amounts, so that even with no ovaries and no HRT, there is still some being made in the body.

????

Thanks
H
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:34 PM

Yes, that is true, provided the adrenals and pituatary are in good working order. I also heard that some diseases and medical conditions put stress on the adrenals and then they may not function like they should.

My allergist said that my adrenals are under stress because of constant stress from all kinds of allergies. Also any kind of ongoing stress could affect the adrenals.

I guess treating the body to eliminate stress of all kinds would boost the adrenals and pituatary to work the most for us.

s
Unread 01-29-2005, 07:23 PM

My oncologist also said that fat produces estorgen. I mean the fat in your body. Not the fats in food. Maybe he was hinting that I should get rid of my body fat.
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:19 PM

Yep....fat does produce estrogen...that is why I still hurt from the endo a year after my Hyst...I am significantly overweight and my body fat is producing enough estrogen to keep me hurting...it is much better--but there is still significant pain...its a bummer!
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:34 AM

Yes, fat does produce estrogen. That is why it is said that overweight women have a much easier time of it during menopause than their slimmer peers.
Unread 01-31-2005, 07:33 AM

Thanks a lot for the information; that has cheered me up a bit; I am not going to be without estrogen if I don't take HRT.

Can I clarify, does body fat actually produce estrogen or just store it?

If it makes estrogen, then surely er larger women should not be on HRT, or should be on lower doses, since even without ovaries, they have a higher natural level??

Does that make sense, lol, "I'm not fat, I am just an estrogen factory".

H
Unread 01-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Fat and estrogen..

FINALLY!!!....I'm at an advantage being 40 lbs overweight!

(But I am trying to lose it....

Deb in Ohio
Unread 02-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Hi HJ,

It's not all fat on the body. It's the omentum, which is the girdle of fat over the abdomen. In menopause even thin women end up with a bit of a tummy because it's the body's way of keeping a little bit coming.

The adrenal glands make precursor hormones. So, if you are under stress, or your adrenal gland isn't functioning well, then they convert into stress hormones and you don't have the ovarian hormones. If you are calm, then, the low level of hormones go into the form that's most needed.

I think that's one reason why a bout of the flu or more emotional stress can bring on hot flashes.

And yes, BMI is an important concern, but it's not true that all "fluffy" women have an easy time without hormones either. For one thing, the levels are much lower.
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the information.
Unread 02-03-2005, 04:16 AM

Thanks a lot that is useful and interesting. I have always had more fat round my abdomen than anywhere - I have small hips and no waist ; my waist measurement is much bigger than my hips, so maybe I am making lots of estrogen myself.

I know that "apple" shaped women, rather than "pear" shaped are more are risk of heart disease. .

Thanks again
H

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.