HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Who else has stitches that won't dissolve? Who else has stitches that won't dissolve?

Unread 01-18-2001, 10:42 PM
Who else has stitches that won't dissolve?

I went for my 6 wks post op today and my doc said I still had stitches that had not dissolved - outside and inside.

I noticed on another post that sdk12, or Sharon, has the same thing.

The difference is this: My doc told me to go ahead and have sex because the tissue around the stitches was healed up. But Sharon's doc told her not to have sex yet. What's up with that?

Has anyone out there had sex while the stitches were still there? Any info would be appreciated. We're planning the deed for tomorrow night. I'd like to know what to expect.

Unread 01-19-2001, 05:39 AM

All I can tell you is my doctor said that it would be painful for me if I had sex at this point. Perhaps it is the location of my stitches ? She said some of the ones near the opening of the vaginal area and also some way up inside on the sides. She said I don't have any granulation tissue, so that is good. I am very very sore and tender around the vaginal opening and I think that alone suggests sex would be painful for me right now. I still have some discharge from the dissolving stitches and the doctor said that is what is adding to much of the soreness and skin irritation.

So, I am a waiting a while longer .... At least I have a very patient husband !
Unread 01-19-2001, 06:08 AM

I also still had all my stitches at 6 week checkup. She said no sex for at least 3 more weeks. We still haven't...
Shortly after the checkup my stitches started to fall out with a vengeance. I haven't seen any lately, so I think they were all done falling out by week 8.
I am still scared to "do the deed" though--it still feels sore in there!
Best of luck and keep us posted! Hugs,
Unread 01-19-2001, 06:11 AM

I'll be 6 weeks on Monday and I see my doctor then. Is it the same for a TAH? I haven't seen any stitches yet.....so I will ask him about that. Did an internal hurt. I'm nervous about this.
Unread 01-19-2001, 06:14 AM

An internal hurt A LOT... but I had a tvh with hundreds of stitches for many many repairs... Yours might not hurt so much! I would suggest you take a few advil beforehand to numb the pain a bit. Or even an ativan if you have one kicking around. I didn't and wish I had! I think some of the pain is sheer terror!
Best of luck
Unread 01-19-2001, 06:49 AM

After a TAH, bladder sling and ant/post repairs, I was scared to death. I went for my 6 week exam on Wednesday and the doctor cleared me to 'work back into' every day routines. I hadn't noticed losing stitches until about the 5th week, but if you don't actually watch for them, you may not have noticed losing them...mine were white instead of black. The only thing he said was that the area where the cervix had been was still a little tender and to go slow and not be too rambunctious. By 8 PM we had popped the champagne cork and settled in for the evening with the phone off the hook. I felt like a 16 year old, not knowing what to do or how to do it. But I can tell you (with lots of lubrication) all my fears were QUICKLY dispelled. You're right...we've had some VERY patient husbands! But I found that 'getting to do the deed' was very healing for ME. Most of the fear was in just not knowing what to expect. I can tell you that all my plumbing works! HA! The next morning my stomach was softer and I know my emotions were on a much more even keel. Let's face it ladies...the husbands had to do without, but so did we! Good luck to everyone else...we've been through a lot but the best is yet to come...I life without periods, cramps, tampons/pads and 'accidents'! It's getting to be really GOOD on the other side!
Unread 01-19-2001, 06:55 AM

My stitches are hurting, the ones for the posterior repair, now, at my 2 week 5 day internal exam, absolutely no pain, felt nothing, actually, I chose this surgeon because he has very gentle hands, speculum is very warm, uses water during exam, incredible.
He said to keep an eye out for falling internal stitches, I guess this must be happening, because I am wet and sore often, this is new and awful...but the urethra has been manipulated so much during surgery, takes a long time to recover, sitz baths with epsom salts are marvelous.
Unread 01-19-2001, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info -

I didn't even know that the stitches fell out! I just thought they dissolved. And it never dawned on me that- by dissolving - they would cause a discharge. My doc. did ask about discharge, but I didn't realize his question was related to the stitches. He didn't act like he saw a ton of stitches inside. He even indicated that what he saw could possibly cause my husband discomfort rather than me???? Gaging from the belly stitches that I can see, my skin is healed but the strings are still embedded.

And of course, I forgot to ask about the granulation tissue. I don't like the sound of that stuff. I wouldn't be able to cause granulation by having sex with stitches, could I? Or am I just being paranoid? My whole recovery has been pretty easy, I'm just afraid of causing a setback now that my life is about to return to normal. I have to go back to work Monday full time, and I am taking 7 hours at the university.

On the bright side, at least I know that my stuff still works - we fooled around just enough last night to find that out.

Thanks again for your responses. I worried about when to have sex enough as a teenager, I never thought I'd have to worry about having it again in my mid 30's!!
Unread 01-19-2001, 08:07 AM

Saraleah

Forgot to mention -

I must be lucky. The internal exam did not hurt at all. It was way more pleasant than the annual pap. No scraping after all for a sample. He pushed on my belly, used the instrument thing inside and then a quick manual feel. I guess if you still feel sore - - all that would hurt.

That's whats so odd to me - I'm not really sore, so why are all those stupid stitches still there!!

Hey girl, just noticed - we have the same surg date 12/11!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway