HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

getting pregnant without a UTERUS!!! getting pregnant without a UTERUS!!!

Unread 01-19-2001, 02:55 PM
getting pregnant without a UTERUS!!!

Ok, so I'm at a luncheon with the girls and we get into a conversation of sex, babies, hysterectomies, etc. when one of them says,"Guess what I learned in my Biology class?" (She's young and single), we say, "What?" Then she proceeds to inform us that according to her professor, "you can get pregnant without a uterus so technically, men could even carry a baby full term if the fertilized egg was implanted in them. You just need a cavity somewhere in your gut so the baby has room to grow." She's totally sincere and really believes this. We don't want to make her feel too dumb so we joke around about how nice it would be for the man to do the pregnant thing...Two weeks later...which happened to be night before last, I am having severe nausea and heartburn in the middle of the night. I'm in and out of conciousness when all of a sudden I start to think, "Oh my gosh, I'm pregnant!! I'm going to kill my doctor, she forgot to remove my uterus, wait, maybe I DON'T need my uterus to get pregnant. I'm going to kill my husband." So all this is running through my mind when I wake up in a delusional cold sweat. Turns out I just had the flu.

Does anyone have any more myths or crazy stories they've heard about how our bodies work? Please share....
[Edited by momof3boys on 01-19-2001]
Unread 01-19-2001, 03:06 PM

Wow that is funny. I was really excited when I saw your post since I thought it may be serious (would have been BIG news to me). I'm loosing my uterus in February (also due to a traumatic delivery )and don't have any living children. Well maybe some day. Medicine can do some amazing things. Of course then I may just make my husband do the hard part :>.
Unread 01-19-2001, 04:27 PM
Geez...

One of my things is annoyance of women who have no clue! There was a funny story here a while back of a women who had someone ( I am sure it was a guy) tell her his mothers uterus grew back after her hysterectomy. I would be really ****** at my doctor if that were true! hahahaha...
Growing a baby within a human body without a uterus? No, medical science has not made that progress yet, it takes a special enviroment to nourish the placenta and fetus. I would be willing to bet that in my lifetime though, I will see that happen.
Thankfully, at 28, I am done having my kiddos. I actually had 2 uterus', and too bad I wasn't able to keep a 'spare'! They were both too diseased though, and had to go. good luck to you!
Love,
Ami
Unread 01-19-2001, 05:01 PM
Pregnancy outside uterus

Well, I mean there ARE ectopic pregnancies. So I guess technically you could get pregnant with no uterus. But it wouldn't be a good idea.

Then there was that guy who swore up and down that he was pregnant and made the rounds of the talk shows. Even had a doctor do an ultrasound on camera, as I recall. But I do believe it turned out there was really no baby. He had quite a story, though.

Arctic
Unread 01-20-2001, 10:36 PM

Arctic-
You took the words right out of my "fingers", lol. When I read the subject line I thought the post was going to be about etopic pregnancy.
One of the guys I work with (and they are almost all guys in a plant of 800) saw me at a Christmas party before I was back to work. When I told him why I was out on disability. He says to me, "good luck, my Mom had one of those and 2 years later my little brother came along". Patiently I explained exactly what a hyster entailed and that he must have been thinking about a tubal ligation. He still continued to insist that it had been a hysterectomy. Finally, I was so aggrivated and wanted to end the conversation that I said, well it would really be something if her uterus grew back, it would be the first time I ever heard something like that. To which he replied (seriously mind you) "that's what I think the Dr. said happened". GRRR, I just walked away shaking my head.
Unread 01-21-2001, 06:45 AM
LOL Kat--

I couldn't remember for the life of me who had told that story! That is the story I was thinking of when I wrote my post.
Too funny for me to forget!
Have a good day everyone!
Love,
Ami
Unread 01-21-2001, 06:59 AM
Here's one...

I was watching Oprah one day and they were doing a story on people who were born with both sexual organs or lacking sexual organs (sad story),until this woman asked one of the people who was born without a vagina a question.This young woman stood up (about 25) and Oprah goes over and puts the mike in her face and the woman asks, "Well if you have no vagina how do you urinate". Oprah busts out laughing and patted her on the shoulder and said, "Honey, I think you need to go home and get an anatomy lesson".
Unread 01-21-2001, 07:32 AM

WHEW ....... now that is funny, are people REALLY that Naive I was thinking the same thing, yes you could have an ectopic pregnancy but that is very dangerous and painful, but to actually carry a baby to term with no uterus ....... NOT possible.

Kat, I think I would have done the same thing, just turn and walk away, people like that just have no clue and I am sure you would never have convinced him that he was wrong.
Unread 01-23-2001, 03:12 PM

Here's a little update, I saw my cousin yesterday and she told me that her friend is in her third trimester and the baby is NOT in her uterus. Some how the sperm and egg fertilized outside of it and the baby is growing in her abdomen!!! Is that outrageous or what? I still don't see how that can be possible!! But, who knows...
Unread 01-23-2001, 05:46 PM
loved this thread

my dh was worried about his "love juice" going all the way up to my stomach LOL but the dr reassured him this would not happen. And I was asked a question by my boss he had no idea that I kept my ovaries so he asked if I was going to grow a beard and mustache now, I told him no! in a very offended voice.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.