HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 02-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Cold Turkey

This March will be three years since my surgery! Yeah! At the beginning of this year I quit taking hormones ( I'm not under a doctors care at the moment) I was on Estradiol 1mg. Now my hot flashes are back and I can't sleep, plus a few other systems. I'm trying to find some alternatives such as Estrohealth (Black Cohosh, Dong Quai, ect.) but haven't noticed any changes yet. Does anything help? And how long do the hot flashes last? I turn 45 this year and don't want to take hormones if I can avoid them, but find it hard to live like a cartoon character turning red and feeling like steam is coming out of my ears! :-) Any advice would be appreciated.
Unread 02-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Cold Turkey

There is no magic solution for many of us. I was on 2 mg estradiol at the time I decided to go off hormones. I cut back to 1, then to .5 and then started skipping days.

Even with cutting down over a couple months (about 3-5 weeks at each level) I did get hot flashes. I did not find them unbearable, but I do think women vary.

I still get them - they don't sorta stop all at once - they just get further apart and milder. Now I only get them if I am really stressed, but it took a long while to get here

Dorrie
Unread 02-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Cold Turkey

Are you taking anything else besides your Estrohealth?
Evening Primrose oil, Vitamin E, Magnesium can also help.
I was still getting hot flashes until I switched to Chasteberry, also called Vitex. Now I don't get any at all.
I realize everybody is different, and this might not work for you, but, it's something for you to think about.
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Thank You!

Just knowing there are things out there that work gives me hope. I will keep searching!
One interesting thing I will add. Stress must be a factor. After I wrote my first post to reach out for help. For the first time in awhile, I slept through the night without flashes, with the covers on!! What a treat!
Unread 02-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Cold Turkey

I agree with the stress thing!! Before I started Chasteberry, and was on Black Cohosh, I would have hot flashes whenever I was upset/or stressed!!
Glad you could get some sleep.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.