HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long for internal stitches to dissolve??? How long for internal stitches to dissolve???

Unread 01-19-2001, 02:59 PM
How long for internal stitches to dissolve???

I went to my gyn on Jan.11th he told me to wait on sex because my internal stitches have not dissolved completely. He told me to give it a couple weeks, so its been 2 weeks. I really don't know if i should, how do i know that there dissolved? I think i should wait a little longer, what do you girls think ? I don't want it to hurt and i'm a little nervous! Help!!!!
Unread 01-19-2001, 04:40 PM

stiches generally take 6-8weeks to disolve. do what doc.
says, just test the water slowly before jumping in. you'll
know, your body will tell you. glade to hear your doing well
grow, shine, live,

tomi
Unread 01-19-2001, 05:21 PM

I had my 6 week check up on Monday and a lot of my stitches have not dissolved either. My doctor said no sex yet. I asked how I would know if they had dissolved and she said that I would need to come back to be checked. I go back in 4 weeks; She said they might be dissolved in two more weeks, but to give it 4 weeks to be safe. She said that I am just a slow healer and that for some people it just takes longer for the stitches to dissolve.

I don't know what to tell you,Luckylady, since I cannot fathom how we could know if the stitches are all dissolved. My doctor did say that she did not think I could do any damage to my internal stuff if I did over do it now, but I would experience pain still.

Anyhow, I am laying low until I go back to be checked again-- Feb 12th ! I do not want to have any pain if I can avoid it.

Let me know what happens.
Unread 01-19-2001, 06:01 PM

On tuesday I had my 4 week check-up. Stitches still hanging in there just fine. I asked my doc if they were dissolving yet and he said no that the way he ties them he doesnt expect them to dissolve until 6 to 8 weeks. Since I do not have another visit with him until 6 months from now, I asked him when it would be safe to resume intercourse. Now I have a wonderful intelligent doctor and this is what he said. Well, you need to wait at least two more weeks. Give it a try and if you see some blood then you need to wait two more. If it were his penis I dont believe he would be saying chance it. Do ya think he is feeling sorry for the DH?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.