HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

anemia and recovery time anemia and recovery time

Unread 02-03-2005, 10:01 AM
anemia and recovery time

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a difference in recovery time and the amount of fatigue if you have been suffering anemia going into surgery?

I have been on iron supplements for close to 3 years going into surgery and although my hemoglobin was in the normal range on my last test, my iron is barely hovering in the normal range.

Thanks
Shelly S
Unread 02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
anemia and recovery time

I assume your hemoglobin is at about 12 then? I just had LSH on 1/28 with a hemoglobin level of 13 and am doing fine. I don't know what kind of hyst you're getting, but they are so good at this surgery that most women do not lose a lot of blood. My Dr. had me take my iron up to the last day before surgery but did not require me to take it afterwards. I am however taking lots of vitamins to help with my recovery. I sleep about 10 hours a day and am pretty alert the rest. Have had enough energy to walk laps around my house about 4 times a day. I think that really contributes to your energy level. I hope it will be smooth sailing for you. Good luck.
Unread 02-03-2005, 05:58 PM
anemia and recovery time

What if your blood count is a 6?
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
anemia and recovery time

Wow, you poor thing. I was an 5 at one time and was told I was critically anemic at that level. I'm not sure how much you'll gain by 2/24 by taking iron, but I would guess it would still be in the critical zone. I am not a Dr. of course, but I would guess that you may be a candidate for a tranfusion before surgery. I hope your Dr. will talk to you about this and that he/she will answer all your questions so you won't be concerned before surgery. Iron, water and foods rich in iron are your best bet right now. Good luck on your recovery.
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:29 PM
anemia and recovery time

I hope I do not need a transfusion not sure exactly what it is but it sounds painful---my mother and husband have a universal blood type and have offered to donate if needed--I am taking my iron pills and eating and drinking the right things--but I just started 1/19 when I found out I needed this surgery---do you think they will post pone my surgery because of this? I mean it has ALWAYS been low
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:39 PM
anemia and recovery time

Oh, please don't be scared of a tranfusion. It doesn't hurt at all. In fact, it's very comfortable while the blood is going in. I had one last year -- had two units of blood given to me. They put in the IV and put warm blankets over you. The blood is frozen when they first hang it, so you will feel a coolness in your arm as it enters. Beyond that, you don't feel a thing. They even put me in an empty room with the lights off so I could snooze. They check your vitals about every 15 minutes and observe you for some time afterward. I know there is some kind of shot that can be given also that helps quickly build the red platelets. They give it to cancer patients but I cannot remember the name of it. If your Dr. knows you have been chronically anemic, it sure doesn't seem like he/she would schedule a surgery without having an alternative in mind. Your best bet is to talk to your Dr. as soon as possible and get this worry off of your mind! Hang in there. You are going to feel GREAT after you have enough blood in you. I know I did.
Unread 02-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Blood Count

I had a plastic surgeon operate on me with 8 as my blood count. I heard the nurse discussing it with my Dr., but they had already give me medication. Scary. I think I will go downstairs now, and take my vitamin. My surgery is a week from today. Thanks,
Unread 02-04-2005, 02:35 AM
anemia and recovery time

Hi Shelly,

I too am anaemic with my count at 6. I have been having iron injections for the past two months, fifteen in total including today's. Just as well I don't have a needle phobia!

My gyn doesn't seem to have a problem but told me to make sure at pre- op admission to inform the nurse at the hospital that I've been receiving treatment. I've been told that they'll transfuse me if necessary.

I decided to just trust his medical experience and go ahead with the surgery as I've been bleeding for almost seven months with only a handful of days without bleeding. So my thoughts are my anemia won't get better whilst the bleeding is out of control. I've been on provera with little success.

So goodluck with everything. Just remember we need our lives back and need to feel well in ourselves.

Best wishes ..........Karen
Unread 02-04-2005, 05:32 AM
anemia and recovery time

Quote:
Originally posted by patchkaz
Hi Shelly,

I too am anaemic with my count at 6. I have been having iron injections for the past two months, fifteen in total including today's. Just as well I don't have a needle phobia!

My gyn doesn't seem to have a problem but told me to make sure at pre- op admission to inform the nurse at the hospital that I've been receiving treatment. I've been told that they'll transfuse me if necessary.

I decided to just trust his medical experience and go ahead with the surgery as I've been bleeding for almost seven months with only a handful of days without bleeding. So my thoughts are my anemia won't get better whilst the bleeding is out of control. I've been on provera with little success.

So goodluck with everything. Just remember we need our lives back and need to feel well in ourselves.

Best wishes ..........Karen

Wow, 15 injections. I just had an iron infusion Wed. for my low iron. Is there a difference in iron injections and iron infusions? I had to have my iron in an iv drip and it took about 3 hrs. I will have to get another infusion in March and my iron should be in the normal range. It is 7 right now.

Debbie
Unread 02-04-2005, 03:40 PM
anemia and recovery time

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the reply. They also talked about blood and iron infusions with me but decided that with all the tests they had put me through they wouldn't chance it. Apparently some people can get a reaction to the iron infusion and my local GP decided the injections would be the safest option for me.

His nurse says that my levels aren't going up like they should due to my contant bleeding. Most people have good results with 5 injections. Trust me to be different! LOL

Anyway take care and best wishes........Karen.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.