HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Washing hair and taking a shower after surgery Washing hair and taking a shower after surgery

Unread 02-09-2005, 06:03 AM
Washing hair and taking a shower after surgery

When will be a good time to wash hair after surgery, when is the person ready to do this my hair is too oily and I am just bothered by this. What about taking a shower how do you do this with a big cut in your stomach.
Unread 02-09-2005, 06:21 AM

Hi Alina,
My surgery is just a few days after yours. Hope that all goes well. I have had 2 c-sections and the next day was able to get up and take a shower and wash my hair. Reaching up to wash your hair can be a little painful but I felt so much better afterward. I had no problem with my incision, just tried not to get it too wet and patted dry really well. But each person is different. With my 1st c-section was in so much pain that didn't wash hair until I got home 4 days later. I guess it will all depend on how you are feeling and what your dr allows you to do. If it really bothers you maybe shop for a pretty scarf , etc. or get someone to wash your hair for you. Most people don't mind helping out even if you think that they do. Best wishes and I'll be thinking of you. Lainie
Unread 02-09-2005, 06:22 AM

Hi,

The first day after my surgery, the nurse got me out of bed and gave me a sponge bath in a chair. That was about all I could manage, and I was very weak and unsteady.

The next day however, my bandage was removed, and I was able to take a shower and wash my hair. I was just told to pat dry my incision. The bandage was never replaced.

s,

Lisa
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:52 AM

Alina,

The day after my surgery, someone brought in a towel and washcloth and put it on the end of my bed. I laughed! There was no way I was getting out of bed and standing in the shower! I had taken some Dove wet wipes and washed my face, shoulders and arms with them in my bed.

By the next day I felt 100% better and couldn't wait to get in the shower. I did it by myself, just before being discharged.

Oily hair was the least of my worries at one day post-op.

Nancy
Unread 02-09-2005, 08:03 AM

Hi, the day after my surgery (tah/bso ) the nurse sent me to the showers. She helped me there ( a very looong 8 feet or so ). She turned on the water , handed me my towel and told me to let the water run on my dressing and then peel it off . It actually felt very nice. I didn't feel up to shampooing my hair at that point, but I could have done it.

I made it back to my bed with no problems. Then I started walking very slowly off and on all day. That sure helped me get rid of my gas problems .

Ask your dr about when you can shower and shampoo - then follow his/her advice.

s
Unread 02-09-2005, 09:04 AM

Hi,

I showered two days post op...had to wait until the catheter was removed. My incision was never covered. I dried it very well and never had any problems with it.

Jennifer
TAH/BSO w app 1/14/05
Unread 02-09-2005, 09:55 AM

I showered the next day before I was discharged. The nurse got everything ready. I did still have my IV in because they were concerned with my blood pressure and the possibility of nausea since I was finally going to get solid food. I washed my hair at home the following day.
Unread 02-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Hi, Had my surgery Thursday morning and showered Friday morning, did not shampoo my hair until next day but that was no problem because I have short hair. Incision did fine I had those little strips, (steri) just pat dry, and big advice walk, a lot of people told me to walk after surgery that it would help and it did. Good Luck
Toni B
Unread 02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
the BEST nurses!

I was blessed with an awesome nursing staff! These gals couldn't do enough! I had surgery Monday am, and Tuesday am Maria came in and said, "I'm here to make you feel better!" She disconnected the IV and removed the catheter.(No pain). We went into the bathroom which had a shower, with a seat, and a handheld. I was more comfortable standing and she helped me shower,reached all the parts I couldn't, and helped me dry off and put on my own nightgown. She was willing to wash my hair, but it's long and thick and takes forever to dry, and I had just done it pre-op, so we didn't. And you know what? I felt great! She brought me a cup of tea and perhaps the best oatmeal raisin cookie I have ever had. She encouraged me to eat, decided we should order everything on the menu for lunch that day because"You don't know what will appeal to you-you can just pick", and she was right. I had a dinner roll and a carton of skim milk for lunch and I felt great!
Unread 02-09-2005, 02:02 PM

"She brought me a cup of tea and perhaps the best oatmeal raisin cookie I have ever had. "

Wow! Now that's the type of nursing I want!

Shelly

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.