HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

cramping pain but I have no uterus cramping pain but I have no uterus

Unread 02-10-2005, 02:38 AM
cramping pain but I have no uterus

Hi all, I've been reading all the threads and they have really been helpful. But I have a question about a symptom that it seems no one else has. I just had a TAH everything was taken out including the cervix 3 weeks ago. I thought that would eliminate all the pain I was having but I'm starting to get the pain back. It feels like painful "period" cramps. I go back to the doctor tomorrow but I feel like an idiot saying I have very painful cramping especially since I have no uterus. Has anyone else felt this or had this symptom?
Unread 02-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Do you still have your ovaries?

If you do you'll still have ovulation pain. I'm keeping mine and I always can tell when I'm ovulation from the cramping, My Dr saids I'll still have that pain. Motrin helps the pain.
Unread 02-10-2005, 03:51 AM

Hi there,

Well I get like period pain cramping and I have nothing left in there at all. TAH/BSO on 28th of January. My doctor says it is bowel pain and it should calm down in a few weeks or so as my body gets back to normal. Hopefully that helps you. If not let us know what you find out.

Regards Sasha
Unread 02-10-2005, 06:30 AM

Thank-you so much for your fast replies. I was wondering if it could be the bowels also. I will let you know what the doctor has to say tomorrow. Thanks so much for being here!
Unread 02-10-2005, 06:41 AM
cramping

My doc said that he has had women in pain with cramping for a long time, and when they take care of the period pain, they need to re-educate themselves. That they can't tell the difference between bowel cramping for a BM and period cramping.

That happened to me after the hyst too-I kept thinking I was going to start my period with the cramping, and it was a sign to have a BM. Sorry to be so graphic!

It was worse for about a month after surgery then it settled down.

Unread 02-10-2005, 10:31 AM

You're not alone. When I woke in recovery from my LAVH-BSO the pain was just like the cramps I used to have. That wasn't a good since my cramps would not respond to normal pain killers (Darvoset, Percocet etc). Demerol shots where the only thing that took the pain away. I'm 3 days post op now and the pain is being handled nicely with Percocet.
Unread 02-10-2005, 10:35 AM

It is actually quite possible that you are having "period" cramping.

Our bodies continue to produce prostaglandins (hormone-like enzyeme). I am still not quite clear on what they do , or why they continue to do it after we've had a hyst, but my dr re-assured me that yes, I was having cramps, not going crazy when I told him I felt like I was going to have a period.

Next time I'm there I'm going to ask MORE questions!!!!
Unread 02-10-2005, 12:34 PM
cramps

Hello, I am 3 weeks post op and have had dull cramps everyday since about the 1st week. I still have my ovaries, but the pain is not only on the sides. I figured it was just healing, but will be sure to mention in to my Dr. at my six week checkup (first checkup since surgery).This is my second day back to work now for 4 hours a day (I am a teller so I stand all day)and although I had cramps and was very tired when I got home, this morning I felt great. Good Luck and take care!!
Unread 02-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Thank you all so much. At least I feel like I'm not alone with this. Since I had everything removed, uterus, ovaries and cervix, I kept wondering where the "cramping" was coming from. So, thanks again for all your replies. I am so glad I found this forum!
Diana
Unread 02-10-2005, 03:50 PM

This is very interesting. I too have been having mild cramping for the last two days. I chalked it up to healing (TAH), but yesterday was the first time I've had gas and BM without help, softners, laxative etc, since my surgery. That axtually makes al ot of sense to me.

Thanks yall!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.