HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Remedies for very dry, cracked, and bleeding knuckles? Remedies for very dry, cracked, and bleeding knuckles?

Unread 02-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Remedies for very dry, cracked, and bleeding knuckles?

Hi ladies:

I am wondering who has a few good product recommendations? I, like many others in the winter time, have constant dry, cracked knuckles that bleed. I have a job that requires lots of handwashing throughout the day, which doesn't help. What has anyone used that really works? Thanks in advance.
Unread 02-10-2005, 09:16 PM

it's not a fancy schmancy lotion, but a product called Corn Huskers Lotion really helps even the roughest and cracked of hands.
Unread 02-10-2005, 10:36 PM

That sounds terribly painful!

You might want to try Silicone Glove by Avon (some malls have an Avon store in them so you can get it right there). You don't have to appy it constantly either. Another fine product from Avon is Moisture therapy. It is petroleum based. I like the bottle with the blue label myself and it is hospital tested.

Another thing you could use is plain old petroleum jelly in a tube. I used that alot when I worked in the meat dept. and it was a life saver to me.

Another thing is bag balm. You can get it at the drug store section of most stores and it comes in a green tin. It is commonly used to treat chapped nipples on cows but many people use it for their hands.

Once you find something, try getting some light weight cotton gloves to wear at night for a while until you can get ahead of this. Put the lotion on and then wear the gloves to bed. Sounds like they need some deep treatment for a while. I hope you find relief soon.
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:11 PM

When I moved to Colorado in the Winter my hands did the same thing. They cracked they bled and they were terribly painful. I asked some of the locals about it and this is the recipe that they gave me. You'll need vaseline, plastic baggies and a hot/warm tub of water.
Put the vaseline on your hands really thick. Cover them with the plastic baggies, then place them into the hot/warm water for 15 minutes or so. When you get done, remove the bags, wipe off the excess with a towel and leave the residue on overnight.
It really worked wonders for me.
Also, you might try soaking them in warm milk. Just warm up a bowl of milk and place your hands in it and let them soak.
Hope you find relief soon.
Tammy
Unread 02-11-2005, 12:27 AM

Nivea has a product called Aquaphor (I think I spelled it right) that is good.

Be sure you dry your hands thoroughly and use lotion frequently is probably the best to do.

Jane B
Unread 02-11-2005, 12:51 AM

I'm originally from Colorado and grew up on a ranch...bucking hay bales all the time...that made my hands dry out soooo bad...I always used bag balm or just plain old vaseline....slather it on at night time and sleep with socks on your hands....it allows it to soak in.....that's my advice!
Unread 02-11-2005, 01:22 AM

In the UK, vaseline has a big range of skincare products, they have a good handcare lotion. Do you get this range over there?
Otherwise, look for a barrier cream, to help you.
Unread 02-11-2005, 07:52 AM

HI,
I have a couple suggestions, the first one was for my feet but if it can work on callus that thick, it can work on hands. Urea cream, I know, sounds icky, actually takes moisture from the air and draws it into the skin. It did work but I just cant handle the idea of urea on my skin...sorry.... The higher the percent the better it is, and can get expensive. They tell me the urea is not from urine but all the same.....

I have very dry, icky cuticles in the winter. They crack around my thumbs, and are all sore and yes, i am a cuticle chewer! My bad... I had a parafin treatment one day i got my haircut. They gave me a hemp based handlotion that I just love...Hempz Herbal moisturizer. I put it on about 3-5 times before bed and it works very well, my hands and cuticles are very soft....

Another good product is Crabtree and Evelyn, garderners therapy or goats milk hand cream. I also love it but at major bucks, I cant really afford it any more, but it is the best stuff.....

Hugs and good luck!!
Kat
Unread 02-11-2005, 08:18 AM

HI Margaret Ellen,
Do you have Cracker Barrel restaraunts there? They sell a product called BURT'S BEE'S..stuff. They have stuff for lips and hands and you name it. It works real good and is a bit menthalated which is soothing. I actually found mine at an Ace Hardware store. Take Care, Sunshine 48
Unread 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM

my DH bought me a home parafin melter because i have RA in both my hands. while the warm wax feels great for my RA, a real bonus was how nice it made the skin on my hands. i have awfully dry skin that is very sensitive, so there are very few traditional lotions i can stand. good luck in your quest!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.