HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Memory loss, brain fog, What helped you? Memory loss, brain fog, What helped you?

Unread 02-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Memory loss, brain fog, What helped you?

I started getting forgetful during perimenopause, then had a TAH three years
ago. I've had brain fog since before the TAH, and now my memory is getting worse and I make stupid mistakes. No HRT. I take a beta blocker, calcium channel blocker, now meds for Hi cholestrol, anxiety and depression.

What has helped you with memory loss and brain fog? At 54, I'm feeling too dopey to be confident that I can keep my career growing as I age.

Any advice sisters?
Mary
Unread 02-17-2005, 11:30 AM

Hi veronikaZ,

There has been Reseach that shows there is a direct link between low estradiol and brain fog. Our brains need the estradiol to complete the connection between receptors. I would look into a estradiol base hormone treatment ,but check with your doctor about how it will react with the other meds your on.

It has help me with the anxiety and depression greatly! Mental clearity is important to me. I use a 100% estradiol patch because I don't like the side affects of other mixes.

I look at estradiol as the last hormone in list of higher level hormones and when it is removed all the other hormones can't work correctly. It's like pulling out a foundation post and expecting the house to stand.
Unread 02-17-2005, 01:04 PM

VERONIKAZ: I HAVE HAD BRAIN FOG FOR THE LAST 2 1/2 YEARS I HAD MY HYST 3 YEARS AGO I WAS OK FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS THEN IT ALL FELL APART. I WAS TAKING ESTRADIOL 1 MG X 2 DAILY WITH TESTOSTERONE 5MG THEN THE MORE ESTROGEN THEY GAVE ME THE MORE MY MEMORY WENT AWAY AND TODAY I AM STILL FIGHTING THE BRAIN FOG AND FATIGUE. FOR ME ESTRADIOL MADE NO DIFFERENCE WHAT MY NATUROPATHIC DOC SAYS IS THAT AFTER A HYST IT REALLY AFFECTS YOUR ADRENALS WHICH CREATES THAT BRAIN FOG AND FATIGUE SO MAYBE YOUR BEST BET IS TO HAVE A SALIVA TEST DONE ON YOUR CORTESOL LEVELS JUST TO MAKE SURE EVERY THING IS OK.

JUST MY
Unread 02-17-2005, 01:20 PM

Hi mware,
Yeppers you're right with the hyster effecting the adrenal glandes. I found the right dose of estraliol brings my adrenal glands back to normal, but as soon as the dose if off I'm pumping the fight or flight hormone. I need a padded room and nothing to hurt myself on.

It's all about balance.

Wouldn't it be great if cookie cutter hormone replacement would work for us all.
Unread 02-17-2005, 02:13 PM

WEEZY123: OH MY GOSH YOU ARE NOT JOKING ABOUT THE COOKIE CUTTER HORMONES, DARE TO DREAM, HUH? WITH MY HORMONES IT SEEMS THAT NO AMOUNT OF ESTRADIOL HELPS. RIGHT NOW I AM ON TRI-EST 2.5MG SUBLINGUAL THAT WAS A HARD ADJUSTMENT FROM STRAIGHT ESTRADIOL I WAS FEELING A BIT BETTER NOT SO SPACED OUT THEN MY STUPID DOC DECIDED TO UP ALL OF MY HORMONES 50% IN ONE NIGHT I LOST 3 MONTHS WORTH OF PROGRESS.
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!!!!!
Unread 02-17-2005, 07:28 PM

Hi mware
If we could just get to were we are feeling ok then be given a cream, gel or pre-dose mini shots to use on our ruff days I think we would all have a easier time adjusting our hormones. We have had to learn how to listen to our body to know how to live around our periods and pregnanices for years.

Now I'm dictated to at how I should balance out my body so it works for me. I say dictated to because I have not see or heard or gone to any classes about how hormones work, so I have to hope the person that is given out the hormones has done the research. I'm aloud to pick my food and take care of a family, yet doing hormones are let up to a total stranger and he/she is suppose to know what is best for my body, ya right, NOT! Not to say anything about how stress affects my body so the same dose all day approach doesn't work well. Now I have to learn how to relive my life so my hrts will work. Slave to a peroid now slave to hrts.

The doctors just have too much control over how I feel with the way hormones are now, yet it is far better then the sisters that have gone before us. Hats off to them.

I spoke to a group of women in a retirement communite about hysterectomies and I could see the deep pain with tears running down their faces. They got the cookie cutter homone treatment and if it didn't work then anti-depressions, and told its all in your head dear.

I'm glad women are talking about this surgery and hrts.
Unread 02-17-2005, 09:29 PM

Mary,

A lack of estrogen can also cause your lipid profile to worsen. There is a threshold where if your estrogen falls below a certain point, you loose the positive benefits of bone and heart protection.....not to mention being able to think!!!!

You should consider talking to your doctor about this, having your hormone levels measured so you can decide if some additional estrogen would be beneficial for you.

I can also concur about the adrenal glands going nuts after a TAH. My blood work 3 weeks post op showed my FSH score was about 20 points above the high end of the scale. My estrogen was very low....34.....should be closer to 150.

Doctor said that the reason my FSH was so high was because my addrenal glands were working overtime trying to get my ovaries to produce more estrogen.....guess they're not too smart to know that they have moved out of the neighborhood.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Gina
Unread 02-18-2005, 07:12 AM

You might check out www.hormonejungle.com/brain.php for some suggestions.

Unread 02-18-2005, 08:27 AM
thanks

Thanks Sisters for all the advice. I started with my gyno, then a shrink, maybe it's time to go back to my gyno. I still have dreams to fullfill and I want my body to cooperate.
Mary
Unread 02-18-2005, 08:43 AM

AMEN SISTER! On the dreams to be for filled and the body cooperating!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.