HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 02-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Dhea

I asked my doctor to add testosterone to my HRT to help with my libido and energy level, but he wanted me to try DHEA, which is OTC. Does anyone use DHEA, for what reason do you use it and how well do you like it?
Unread 02-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Dhea

There were some very interesting early threads on dhea. You can search for them. I'm trying to think who the woman was who had a great doctor who put her on it first. There were a lot of conversations back then. If I think of her name, I'll mention it.

I'd ask your doctor to recommend some brands. OTC brands are not at all controlled. The alternative is to see whether they've been rated at ConsumerLabs.com

DHEA is a precursor hormone made by the adrenal glands. Your body basically converts it into the hormone it most needs. One of the most direct pathways is for it to turn into testosterone. It's a pretty good suggestion. No one knows how much test. a woman should have so letting your body make the conversion itself is a good idea.

Unread 02-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Dhea

Hi Keeper,

I suddenly remembered--her name is Bethany. If you do a search, you'll find quite a few posts.

I think this one is the best one on dhea--talks about a good brand and how much to take. She had a fabulous doctor. Lauren in the thread is a registered pharmacist who used to help us out so much around here.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...highlight=dhea

Anyway, hope this helps!
Unread 02-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Dhea

Thanks Trish for the info, I am going to read the links you provided right now.
Unread 02-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Dhea

Great info on that thread, but it's closed to new posts. I had a stress/cortisol level test done and am showing adrenal fatigue and low dhea. I am also recently diagnosed hypothyroid. Would this help me???
Unread 02-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Dhea

My husband takes DHEA to help with his aging, slowing down sex drive. It has no side effects that we have seen and it also has helped clear his mind of the mid life mind fuzzies. I also just saw a small note in Time Magazine this week's issue that says that 50% of men that take DHEA report feeling better during the "mid life" changes men go through. Since it seems we need testostrone at this time of life it might be worth a try. I buy his at the herb/natural store.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.