HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

personality change personality change

Unread 02-20-2005, 12:29 PM
personality change

Hi everyone....I am 39 and had my ovaries removed last year.I have a history of endomentreosis and ovarian cysts. Since my operation I have been on synthetic HRT. I am on 'premique cycle' tablets where for 2 weeks I take 0.625mg of conjugated oestrogens USP (per day) and then the following 2 weeks is 0.625mg of conjugated oestrogens USP with 10mg of medroxyprogesterone Acetate Ph. Eur. (per day).
This has helped with the symptoms of menopause in that the constant crying and hot flushes and night sweats stopped but my personality has changed. I have never been inclined towards 'woman things'and have never cooked, baked or shopped for clothes etc. I am now finding myself buying pink dresses! I dont like it and dont like the change I feel. I have lost my spark and zest and my manic side and have become more calm and serene. I dont like it! Help. Is it the HRT? Could it be that my hormone levels were not 'normal' all my life and now I am getting the 'normal' dose of these hormones daily so it is changing me personality and making me more like a woman? I also have very low moods which I never had before. Simone
Unread 02-20-2005, 12:40 PM
personality change

Simone,
I have found that since my hyst almost six years ago that I am indeed a much calmer person. I kind of like it. I used to get upset fairly easily, and now it takes much more for me to get upset. I can shrug stuff off that I couldn't before. Was it the surgery? Or is it just me getting older?

P.S. I like the color pink.
Unread 02-21-2005, 02:19 AM
personality change

Hormones, I vote hormones. I would venture to say the prempro that you are taking is more then likely the one that is doing the serene calm and girly thing to ya. Progesterone or progestins actually bind to testosterone and can cause it to be well kinda useless. I actually got the same respone when I tried prempro but I could not take the headaches. I was calmer though

Just a side note the last two weeks is what i referred to as prempro here in the usa but they have a lower dosage of .625 with 5mg of provera perhaps your doctor might let you reduce the provera from 10mg to 5 mg since its been some time since the surgery. Im sure your getting the provera for endo reasons.
Unread 02-21-2005, 10:29 AM
personality change

thanks for the advice - what is premvro though? Is it the estrogen or progesterone? I have no clue what I am taking or why. My GP just prescribes whatever was next in the list of the book he was looking at!!! I dont even know if my endo history has been taken into account. After spending the last few weeks researching this subject I am so confused and feel like I entered a minefield - one thing I am no longer confused about though is that I dont think HRT is for me!!!
Simone
Unread 02-21-2005, 10:39 AM
personality change

Hi Simone

Prempro is a combination of Premarin (equine estrogens) and progestin, a synthetic progesterone. The pill you are taking is a combination product as well. Progestins/progesterone are thought to help counteract the effect estrogen has on endometriosis.

It does take time to adjust to hormones. Keep a journal of any symptoms you have and share them with your doctor. Finding the right hormone therapy isn't always easy but it is possible. You can use this list of symptoms of too much/too little estrogen, progesterone and testosterone as a guide.

Definitely stay in contact with your doctor and let him know how you are doing.

s
Unread 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
personality change

Hi Simone,

I'm glad you posted this. I had my surgery in Jan and I take premarin. I am alot like Kim, I feel also calmer and it takes alot to upset me, but I like that feeling too. At my last doc appointment he mentioned increasing the strength of my premarin since I had was having a few hot flashes but I told him I wanted to stay on the .45 premarin for awhile longer since I just started taking them.

My question is do you girls think by me taking a higher dose will it calm me even more or will I stay the same? I am happy now but just wondering and thought this was a good time to ask.

Simone I wish you luck in finding something that makes you feel more like yourself.

Sharon
Unread 02-21-2005, 01:43 PM
personality change

I sure wish i was like you girls that are enjoying the calmer you.

Everyone has noticed a change in me and I dont like the feeling of not recognising the person inside my skin. I have not turned into a horrible person but changed my personality - which is very hard to get used to at my age. I used to have such zest and vitality, never got down and broody and always was keen for whatever was happening. Also as already stated I didn't do 'girl' things and have always been of the 'toyboy' disposition.

I want to cry at the amount of information there is on this subject because everytime I sit at my computer and do some research I learn soemthing else and I feel like I will never get to the bottom of it all. What I do know though is I have read enough to know that I dont want to stay on the synthetic hormones anymore and also I need specially tailoured hormone plan due to my medical history pre and post op! What I will never know is why didn't my doctor do this in the first place!!!! I am a probation Officer and if I treated my offenders in this 'blanket' way the streets would be a far more dangerous place to be!

Has anyone out there had endometreosis and a oophorectomy and has the hormone levels sorted out - so they can advise and hence create a shortcut for me??? Has anyone out there had endometreosis and a oophorectomy and has the hormone levels sorted out - so they can advise and hence create a shortcut for me??? Has anyone out there had endometreosis and a oophorectomy and has the hormone levels sorted out - so they can advise and hence create a shortcut for me???

Thanks Everyone
Unread 02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
personality change

I had problems with my memory (major blood loss 3000 ccs and emergency hyst post-partum) but I also experienced problems with what seemed like a changed personality. It is comforting to know that others have felt the same way to some degree. I also felt uncomfortable with the difference. I felt like I was not me but replaced with someone else.

As far as your zest, you perhaps you might try asking your physician if she or he would be willing to prescribe either compounded testosterone or Estratest H.S. as a portion of your hrt. I have heard that testosterone can give women back a bit of the vitality and energy that they have felt missing after their ovaries are removed. It takes a good year to get your hormones balanced, that is the old adage that I've heard. Good luck to you on your journey, and lots of hugs.
Unread 02-21-2005, 03:56 PM
personality change

HI Simone

Quote:
Has anyone out there had endometreosis and a oophorectomy and has the hormone levels sorted out - so they can advise and hence create a shortcut for me???
I fall in to the above category. Unfortunately It took me some time and alot of trial and error to get to where I am at. The best thing I did was find a doctor who was knowledgable in prescribing hormones and together with my pharmacist we have found a good combination for me.

I do use all bio-identical creams (identical to what the ovaries make)

I use progesterone along with my estrogen due to the endometriosis....plus I find it helps me with my sleep and anxiety that came after my surgery when my hormones were a mess!

I also use a testosterone cream which helps with my energy level and missing libido I had.

The thing is what I use might be entirely different than what you might need. We are all very different in our hormonal needs. I require all 3 hormones to feel good. Some women don't need all 3 and feel fine with just estrogen.

Here is a list of HRT available in the UK.( I am assuming you live there since you are using premique cycle) HRT in the UK

Here are some articles that might help you sort through the difference in hormones and how they might benefit you. Hormone article list Some women find if they do not do well on synthetics that switching to a bio-identical estrogen and progesterone can make a difference.

Please hang in there. I know it seems very frustrating at times to find something that works well, but once you do it is definently worth it

Unread 02-21-2005, 07:30 PM
personality change

I've noticed a personality change too, and I'm on a tiny dose of estradiol. So, I don't think it's the hormone I'm getting now that's caused the change, I think it's the hormones I'm no longer getting, the ones that made me uniquely me.

I used to have ups and downs in my personality. I could be quiet some days, but most of the time I was pretty chatty. Always had something to talk about. Nowadays, I don't feel the need or desire to talk much. My family asks me what's wrong. I feel okay. I feel calm. Things that used to upset me, don't much anymore. And I think that's good, because I could let little things get to me before. But on the otherhand, I think I was more interesting before.

Now, I think I'm turning into a boring person with a flat personality.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway