HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Have you had the flu not too long after surgery? Have you had the flu not too long after surgery?

Unread 02-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Have you had the flu not too long after surgery?

Hi everyone,
Well, to make a long story short. I am 4 weeks post op today. Last weekend my husband got sick with that terrible flu that's going around.

Well, guess what on Tuesday I woke up with a terrible sore throat, congestion, etc. Doc said it's a virus so antibiotics cannot touch it. He have me some cough medicine with codeine in it and some Tylenol 3's just in case I cough so much that my incision hurts.

My question: Do I need to start all over again? I was starting to feel fairly decent before this. Walking, much less soreness, etc.
I have been resting as much as I can this week, but had to take care of DH and granddaughter (we have custody).
Even when I start feeling better should I rest quite a bit so I won't have a set back or go right back into walking, etc.

I'm not due back to work until March 14, so I still have some time.
Any suggestions?

Feeling puny in Kansas
Sandy
Unread 02-25-2005, 06:49 AM

Hi Sandy,

Sorry to hear about the flu at your house. As far as starting all over, I think you need to just play it by ear, so to speak and listen to what your body tells you. It is very possible you will need to work back into what you were doing before since your body has been under this extra stress and you were forced to discontinue your walking. I would suggest starting off slowly and see how you feel. You'll be able to tell what you're up to. Hopefully this won't set you back too far. Some of it depends on how bad your flu is.
I hope you feel better soon.

's, Rita
Unread 02-25-2005, 07:53 PM

Hello,

I am 4 weeks on Monday TVH, I just recently got over the flu,sneezing,runny nose, muscle aches, sore throat. Had it for 5 days. I feel completely worn out like it has pushed me backwards.
I can't wait to start feeling better, suppost to go to work on march 14. Hang in there. Rest and time is the only thing that helps.
Peggy
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:08 PM

Dear Gail,

I had my hysterectomy on jan7 and during my recoup time i got the flu also. Usually i bounce back right away , but i guess the surgery makes you weak and your resistance is lower. It took me longer than usual to recover. But eventually i regained my strength. Also i was worried about coughing and the incision , I just kept a pillo on my stomach... That helped me

good luck to you and enjoy your recuperation period because once you go back to work the pampering is over!!!!!!!

Margaret/sonofreak07@aol.com
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:59 PM

I am 3 months post op and have been fighting the flu, bronchitis (now possibly pneumonia) for just over two weeks now!!! Had the cough to start with, that was constant and painful. Then four days of a wicked sore throat....while still coughing. Then a head cold ... while still hacking and coughing.

Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't catch my breath! SCARY! Went to have a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. Won't find out until Monday.

I feel like it has set me back. I was power walking three miles four days a week before I got bit by this horrid bug. I am now back to the couch most of the day.

I am now on a second round of antibiotics and on two steroid puffers. It is bad.

Just trying to get through it.

I think our immune systems are down after surgery. And being home bound away from civilization for so long doesn't help. Then we jump back into the world like new-borns subject to a cruel environment again!

I hope all sick sisters out there get better real soon....this *****!

Hugs,
Sarah
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:06 PM
I had it, too!

Ugh! Yep, I had it, too, and my surgery was Jan. 19. And the worst part was that I had even gotten my flu shot. I get the shot every year. I hadn't gone anywhere except for BED, and I woke up one morning with my throat on fire. Then came the rest of it. So on the second day, my family doc called in an RX of Tamiflu for me, and I was over the symptoms within 5 days, even though I thought I was going to die during the interim! It doesn't sound like your doc gave you anything like that, or any Flumadine, either. I'd say, as far as your surgery goes, to just take it SLOOOOOOOOW. I don't know what it is about the hyst. surgeries that make us so susceptible, but they sure seem to. Here's to feeling better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.