HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

could surgery be cancelled because of a cold? could surgery be cancelled because of a cold?

Unread 02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
could surgery be cancelled because of a cold?

Hi...

Does anyone know how sick you have to be to have surgery cancelled? I'm coming down with a cold tonight (Fri) and have surgery to remove my cervix and fix a few things on Wed. I have 2 small kids at 2 different schools, so I'm exposed to lots of viruses all the time.

This just feels like it's going to be a run of the mill cold...runny nose, coughing, slight headache and spaciness. No fever. Would they cancel surgery for that?

Thanks!

Margot
Unread 02-26-2005, 12:03 AM

Best thing would be to call teh dr right away and they will let you know. He may get you a prescription to help with the cold, who knows but you'll know for sure if you call and ask
Unread 02-26-2005, 12:04 AM

Hi Margot,

If you think you are going to be sick you need to speak to your doctor as soon as possible. If you have general anesthesia, a breathing tube is placed in the back of your throat to help you breathe during the surgery - if you have coughing, sinus drainage, or breathing problems from a cold it may not be safe to have surgery.

The main concern is for your safety and health. If your body is in a weaked state before surgery it could compromise your recovery.

Give your doctor a call.

Take care.

Unread 02-26-2005, 06:51 AM

I had my TVH 5 days ago, and had and still have a cold. Sinus drainage, and a cough..The doctors checked my lungs and found that they were clear, and so they went ahead and did my surgery. But, I called them and told them what all was going on and they wanted me to come in to check it all out. Best of luck to you. Call and let them check you out first.

Michele
Unread 02-26-2005, 09:54 AM

Hi Margot,

It depends on the anesthesiologist. I arrived for an umbilical hernia repair last March and had a very slight lingering cough (it had been around for five weeks). Chest X-ray was clear. He wanted to cancel the surgery due to concerns that my esophagus may spasm during recovery. Asked for and received a spinal instead. Oh and the cough lasted for another month.

Thought I might be coming down with a cold before the SAH and used ZICAM spray to head it off. Anyway there was no cold. My gyn said she would not do a SAH with a spinal; this was one of my pre-op questions.

This is just my experience, a committee of 1. You should discuss this with your DR.

Susan
Unread 02-26-2005, 11:40 AM
hi

If you put peroxide in your ears when laying down with A pillow and A bath towel let the peroxide fiz up in the ear for little bit drain it out do the same with the other ear.It should help get rid of the cold.Also call your dr .I know peroxide sure helps me.You should also let your Dr know what is going on.

Admin note: Always talk to your doctor before taking any action - especially before surgery. Suggestions from other members cannot be taken as medical advice.
Unread 02-26-2005, 11:52 AM

A cold will not usually cancel surgery - you do need to let your md know.
Unread 02-26-2005, 06:22 PM

How ironic..........I was just posting my question since i had a cold pre op, got rid of it, and now getting it back!!!! My dr told me on my pre op(which was 3 dys b4 surgery date) to contact my family dr to see if she could call in a script for an antibiotic due to the circumstances, and that if went into my chest, the anesthesiologist could call it off right then and there and it was their decision!!!!!! Fortunately, it stayed in my head, and all went through without a hitch, but they watched me closely and had me do breathing tests in the hospital and sent me home with one to do at home for fear of pneumonia-so call your dr for instructions/meds!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially if you hv a fever, which I did not!!! Get well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 02-26-2005, 07:53 PM

Kathy,

Do you have a cough? Did you have one before surgery? If you have a virus and not a bacterial infection, I thought antibiotics wouldn't do any good.

How are you doing now? I'm sure it would hurt to cough after you have had surgery!

I've been hesitant to call the doc, because I'm pretty sure I don't have a bacterial infection...just a plain old cold and not too bad, yet. I have my pre-op on Monday and surgery Wednesday.

Do you think it would be worthhwhile to call the doc at home tomorrow if I'll be seeing him Monday? I really don't feel that bad, but I do have a cough. I just don't thnk that a cold could be helped by an antibiotic. I'm drinking tons of water and just laying around a lot. Also taking zinc and vitamin C.

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

Margot
Unread 02-26-2005, 10:32 PM

Margot,
I did not hv a cough prior to my surgery...just stuffiness and very nasal-ly talking, but my pre-op was also only days before my surgery date and he sd if it gets in your chest call me ASAP, and sinceit didn't, i went on surgery date and all took place. Aside from the head cold and sneezing, so far I haven't been coughing, just taking nasal decongestants for the head part of it for now. But I keep watching mucous color so I get to dr for antibiotic if it's warranted. Just seemed odd that in the hospital, on O2 all night long, I didn't hv the cold at all and it snuck back up on me once I got home. And another thing....I am a smoker and since I got home have resumed to that nasty habit, so maybe a little par for the course? Good luck with yours and keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.