HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do they always do a biopsy? Do they always do a biopsy?

Unread 03-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Do they always do a biopsy?

Had my TAH with one ovary removed due to large fibroids that were growing rapidly, according to ultrasounds. Ovary had to go due to cyst. Going to see my dr for 6 week checkup next week when we will also go over the biopsy results. Is it normal procedure to always biopsy whatever is removed? Or is this being done because fibroids were fast-growing? I am premenopausal (and hope to stay that way - go little ovary, go!)
Unread 03-05-2005, 07:18 AM

I believe that anytime something is removed from your body, it is sent for a pathology report. It can provide a wealth of information. I am looking forward to seeing mine. It can also rule out some serious issues that might need to be further looked into.

Kay
Unread 03-05-2005, 07:22 AM
pathology report

They biopsy everything that is removed. I had a tummy tuck along with it, and they even had a lab pathology report about the skin and fat they took out.

I think even when they removed things at the doc's office they biopsy them (like moles, etc)

I suggest asking for a copy of it too, I read mine over at home and looked up a lot of words. I found it interesting for some preverse reason.
Unread 03-05-2005, 07:37 AM

I was a nurse many moons ago and they definitely biopsy everything that is removed from the body as a precaution to protect the patient. They also do it to protect the doctor and the facility from lawsuits due to "oversights".
Unread 03-05-2005, 11:10 AM

They always send surgical specimens to pathology whether cancer is suspected or not just to be sure. Your md should go over those with you at your check up. If he doesn't just ask him. My md went over mine at my 1 week check up last week without me asking - I didn't think he'd have it back that soon. Hope that answers your question.
Unread 03-05-2005, 02:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. I saw my doctor about 10 days after the surgery to have staples removed - and he told me then that he had no biopsy results but would go over them at my next appointment, which is the 6 week one coming up. I will definitely ask for copies (appreciate the suggestion). Would he also have the hospital / surgical report so that I could get a copy - or do I need to get that from the hospital - or do you know? Also, since my fibroids were very fast growing (big difference between the two 3-month-apart ultrasounds) - is this normally the sign of any problem (e.g. cancer) or just "one of those things"? Any info welcome - thanks!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.