pain management advice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain management advice? pain management advice?

Unread 03-07-2005, 08:15 AM
pain management advice?

My doctors office has informed me that I am only allowed tylenol the two weeks before my surgery. I completely understand the reasons why, however the only thing that touches my pain is aleeve. For two weeks of each month I practically live on the stuff.

Now here's the fun part. My surgery is not scheduled until April because of a vacation I have planned. I need to know how to make it through vacation and still function in polite society (my in-laws 40th anniversary party). I did ask the nurse if I could drink heavily and after she stopped laughing she did say yes. However since that wasn't a serious option I'm looking for any other suggestions.

I am very much looking forward to a point in time when my ability to function as a human being is not being held hostage by certain parts of my body.

mostuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 08:29 AM
pain management advice?

I have to say, alcohol makes me feel better than any medication, lol One glass of wine is better than a mega dose of ibuprofen.

Sorry I don't have any specific advice for you.
Unread 03-07-2005, 11:37 AM
pain management advice?

For me, it was nothing for a week ahead of the surgery. But I indulged in some good food and wine, no doubt. I got my very last period the day of my surgery and had been pre-menstrual the days before... but I toughed it out without my usual ibuprofin. Used a heating pad instead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
pain management advice?

I know, I used to take 800 mg motrin and that was not an option in the days leading up to surgery (I was 3 days into my period when I went in) So I used extra strength Tylenol and my old stand by the Playtex heat pack, they don't show and did help lessen the pain. I about took out stock in them from the first day they came out on the market. If you haven't used them they aren't bulky
Unread 03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Pain control

Mostuff,

I am with ya, gal! I am traveling right up until the night before surgery, which is this Wednesday. I have mostly migraine problems, which I generally treat with Aleve or Orudis, which I now can't take. I have some suggestions, though:
1) Watch your diet carefully while on vacation so as not to provoke any intestinal discomfort;
2) Do whatever it takes to avoid constipation, which is common during travel;
3) Treat your pain EARLY rather than later and start with 2 Extra Strength Tylenols on the off-chance they will help, and follow that with a stiff drink if needed;
4) Use the heat recommendations above; and
5) Bring along any narcotic preparations you may have left over, like percocet (Oxycodone/Tylenol) as a last resort. If you don't have any, ask your doctor about prescribing you a few, or whatever else she recommends for serious analgesia.

Good luck and have fun!
Smartypants
Unread 03-07-2005, 12:42 PM
pain management advice?

The last post had some good advice but one suggestion is a HUGE NO NO:

"3) Treat your pain EARLY rather than later and start with 2 Extra Strength Tylenols on the off-chance they will help, and follow that with a stiff drink if needed"
_
You should NEVER use alcohol within 24 hours of taking Tylenol, much less chase it with a drink! The resultant damage to your liver, even if you don't detect it, is just not worth it. There are a lot of people you believe you should take milk thistle (a supplement shown to improve liver function and help repair damage) any time you take Tylenol.

Perhaps your doc would approve and prescribe Tylenol III (with codeine) if the OTC stuff won't do the job. But, really, drinking with Tylenol is a bad idea.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register