HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair Hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair

Unread 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy this thursday march 10th. My
OB GYN has recommended both a anterior and posterior repair at the same time. She has warned that this may result in shortening of the vagina. Researching this online I have found that these repairs often have the complications of painful sex. My husband, is well, to put it gracefully I hope, long in terms of size.

I am having serious second thoughts about having this done. I am thinking if it comes to it needing to be repaired it can be done later after all the methods of repair have been studied for after effects and results, and by someone specializing in these operations.

Has anyone had these procedures done? Any thoughts???
Unread 03-07-2005, 06:57 PM

I wouldn't rush into anything you're not ready for. Have you had a second opinion or seen a urogynecologist? They are very well trained in the latest repair methods. You may want to consider seeing someone else before committing to your surgery.

I assume you have a cystocele/rectocele problem? There are quite a few different methods that can be used for repairs. Here is a web site with lots of info on different repairs. It talked about which repairs are more suited to women with active sexual lives. http://www.tvtsling.com/lap_proc9.php

Just my opinion - I have no medical experience.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm having the hysterectomy done, with ovary and tube removal because of atypical cells found in the uterus. My doctor suggested the anterior and posterior repair, at the same time but did not say what degree the prolapses are. Now I know a few more questions to ask. And as a result I'm definately postponing the repair until I have more knowledge and am comfortable with it, my gut tells me to- but going ahead with the hysterectomy.

Do you know if vaginal prolapse is a problem after hysterectomy?
Do the cystocele/rectocele repairs help streghten the vagina, decreasing the chance of that problem?
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:28 PM

Hi gingerivers, I had a TVH with A & P repairs in June due to cystocele and rectocele, and prolapse of the uterus. I still have my ovaries as there was no disease.

I am sure the type of repair work (ie. severity of the problems) would also determine the way the repairs are done. In my case, my doctor told me afterwards that my vagina was not shortened ( she did the checking herself at one of my post op exams).

Yes, intercourse was painful the first few times we tried. I did not realize just how dry I would be, and the need for lubrication such as Replens or Ky vaginal moisturizers. These you apply with an applicator inside the vagina. Eventually we added Vagifem, which is a form of estradiol (hormone), again for the vagina. That has done the trick. I have not had any loss of sensation whatsoever. In any case, if sex is painful at first, it will not be forever, as once the incisions heal, things will get back to normal. Any dryness you may have due to the hyst, you can correct.

I did have some pain from the rectocele repair for the first few times, but again, once it had sufficient time to heal, everything was fine. I did not notice any discomfort from the cystocele repair. My vagina is tighter than before (between 1 child delivered vaginally and the prolapses, I guess things had gotten pretty loose down there) and I'll just say I'm enjoying life with my DH much more these days!

I would ask the dr. why she thinks the vagina will be shortened. Just remember to follow your doctor's advice for when to resume sex with hubby, and take things slow and gentle for the first few times. Your relationship will come out of this better and stronger if you both understand the healing process. Good luck, and God bless.
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:32 PM

I just read your second post--my doctor gave me a suggested 25 lb. lifting restriction to make sure that I didn't have a recurrence of the cystocele/rectocele. Pressure that gets put on the lower abdomen from lifting/ straining is not good for us, whether we've had a hyst or not. Basically she said, if I have to hold my breath to pick up something heavy, that it was too heavy and not to even bother.

Personally, I would not want to go through the recovery process again for another surgery -- I'm glad I had it done all at once. But that is a decision that you have to make for yourself. God bless, and keep us posted.
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:49 PM

From what I've read, there do appear to be quite a few women needing repairs after a hysterectomy. I think the question regarding whether the cystocele/rectocele repairs strengthen the vagina depends upon which type of repair you have. My urogynecologist said she won't do any repairs without having first done a urodynamics test to determine the specific problem. She did a VERY thorough internal exam and told me exactly what level prolapse I had in each area. She also told me the same thing SandwichQueen heard - no lifting heavy objects ever again.
Unread 03-07-2005, 10:33 PM

Thanks to both of you for the sweet replies and the great support.

No heavy lifting...yow! I am one who totes around heavy things, operates a tiller in the garden. Wonder if I'll be able to do that again?? Maybe it's time to buy a tractor!

Finding this forum and both of you here has been wonderful. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

My OBGYN is not a specalist in cystoule or rectoule surgery. I wonder if I should have someone who is?

So many questions...

Ginger
Unread 03-09-2005, 05:01 AM
rectal repairs

Hi ,I had all the things done which you are thinking about having and I must say that I felt the most discomfort from the rectol repair than anything else.It is now 5 months since my op and I dont find sex painful but I still feel very nervous that it might hurt.I am 59 and I dont feel much like sex anymore I dont take HRT as I had already taken it for about 10 years previously so I suppose this is why I dont feel like it so much,plus age
I'm glad I had it done as I feel so much more comfortable.
love Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.