HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder "nicked" Bladder "nicked"

Unread 01-30-2001, 12:49 PM
Bladder "nicked"

Hello all,
I had my TAH on Wed, and was "encouraged" to be released by Friday afternoon. I felt rushed, but another sleepless night in the hospital was not a pleasant thought either!

During the procedure, my Dr. gave my bladder a good slice, he indicated about 1 1/2 to 2 inches, but felt that I was recovering well enough to go home with the catheter. His casual attitude about the catheter makes me a bit nervous. He told me that I could take it out myself in about 10 days and showed me where to cut it. Originally, they were to do tests in 14 days to determine if the bladder had healed and was water tight. Now it seems that it's just no big deal, just take the thing out and get on with your recovery!

Anyone else have this happen? Should I demand more information from the Dr. or should I consider his confidence reassuring? I'm sure he will give me danger signs to be on the look out for, but I do not have an appointment with him for another 2 weeks.
Thanks and I'm glad I found this site!
Maura
Unread 01-30-2001, 03:20 PM
Bladder "nicked"

Hi Maura, During my LAVH on 1/9 my Dr also "nicked" my bladder, I was sent home with the catheter (folly) for 10 days. I know what you are going through, it is a humbling experience, but remember it gives your bladder the time needed to heal. I went in to my Dr office to have it removed at which time they did a urine test and found out that I had a bladder infection. I was put on antibiotics right away. I would suggest getting more info from your Dr. and make sure that YOU are comfortable with removing it and knowing the danger signs of an infection. The type I had was held in by a balloon device, which my Dr had to deflate before removing the tubing. I am sending hugs your way, hang in there, it will be out before you know it and you will be able to focus your energy on your recovery and have peace of mind.
Unread 01-31-2001, 02:56 PM
Bladder "nicked"

Hello Maura. This happened to me during my TAH.
However, my experience was quite different. My
doctor stitched up the tear. She then had a brand
new machine brought into the OR. It had just been
delivered and no-one had used it yet. She said it
was quite a circus, and a test that should have taken
ten minutes took thirty. What the machine does is pump
a dye through the bladder and they can tell if the repair
is watertight. Mine was not quite. She then did a few
more stitches, retested and everything was great.
This was on a Thursday morning. She had had quite a few
cancellations that day, and I think I was lucky that
she had extra time to try out the new machine.
On Saturday I was doing so well that she allowed me to
go home a day early. The catheter came out Friday night
if I remember right.
Pam
Unread 06-13-2001, 04:26 PM
Bladder "nicked"

I had a TVH on 5/17/01 and my doctor put a small hole in my bladder due to scar tissue from two c-sections. I wore a cathether home for one week, and ended up with a bladder infection. I took antibioctics and unimax for one week and felt better. Now two weeks later my bladder is bothering me. I have to use the bathroom all the time and it is worse when I stand up or walk around. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem at 4 weeks post op?
Thanks for all your support.
Unread 06-13-2001, 05:17 PM
Bladder "nicked"

i had a friend that they nicked her bladder during the tah and she sued and won hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was a horrible recovery. Hope that you feel better gigi
Unread 06-13-2001, 07:28 PM
Bladder "nicked"

Gigi,

Thanks for the response. I hope I recover well and don't have any long term problems. Is your friend okay now or does she continue to have problems with her bladder?
Unread 06-15-2001, 10:17 PM
Bladder "nicked"

In reference to Maura, Please keep the bag lower than the level of the bladder at all times, if possible. This keeps bacteria from entering the bladder. Did they show you "cath care?' If nothing was said, about three times a day, take a warmish soapy wash cloth and swipe the catheter tube around where your meatus is, and wash the tubing gently.Start close to your body and work away from it,so that the germies are going in the other directions. Do not tug, then rinse with warmish water. This should keep everything pretty clean...not sterile.
Get a notebook and write down any symptoms daily that you notice.
DO NOT hesitate to call them if anything is bothering you badly enough, even if you think it is dumb. The unasked question is the only dumb one. Like the one I didn't ask my fiance'..How much you got in da bank,Vinnie?
Turns out his name is Alan and he is still broke 19 years and 4 children later..(ours)

Take care, and above all else, drink alot of water. Don't be scared.
We love you and let us know how you are doing.

Love Margo
Love Margo
Unread 06-15-2001, 10:28 PM
A notebook and a phone

Dear Sweetheart,

Don't you thinkl you have enough healing to do without this bladder thing?
Call on Saturday...Today. There is always someone on call.
Get a notebook and write down if necessary how you can quickly and concisely tell the doctor over the phone what is going on. If it is a strange doctor, give him a quick summary. TELL him/ her that you are uncomfortable and would like some help, that you cannot wait until the office opens on Mon. Even if they make you go to ER. Your body may need another round of antibiotics, and that is it.
Write down everything you can remember about everything. This information will be valuable in the future to your health and to future postings when we are 80 and still posting for the younger women in the year 2031. Please let us know how you are doing. Do not be scared. Fear is the enemy. Knowledge is power.

Love Margo

SCH/ one ovary left, but can never remember which one.
May 21,2001 the day I lost six pounds
Soon Graphics will appear.
Unread 06-17-2001, 05:18 AM
Bladder "nicked"

I had a vag hyst and had to come home with catheter...Not surprising for me since I've always had a sensitive one....Had to keep for 5 days...it wasn't fun and I had times when my family had to pry scissors out of my hand to keep me from cutting it off too early...I also had UTI when it came out....

Just be patient, drink lots of water and move around (slowly) as you feel like it....It is one of the most frustrating parts of the hyst recovery I think....

Hang in there....For laughs I named my cath bag "Willie"....He is not missed!!
Unread 06-17-2001, 08:11 AM
Bladder "nicked"

I was wondering about bladder problems, myself!! I'm 9 1/2 weeks post op. I am not aware of any damage being done to my bladder during surgery but Dr said that since everything inside was "glued" together with scar tissue and adhesions, I would be quite sore. She had to rearrange many organs (what's LEFT??) anyway........I developed a UTI (or it was discovered) about 2 weeks post-op. I went on Macrobid for 7 days but the symptoms never seemed to get better. I couldn't really tell the difference because everything was so sore inside anyway! Now, last week, I went in for a quickie checkup because I still had over-active bladder and soreness when I urinate. Nurse did a dip stick test and said I had blood and high white cells in urine. She sent the remainder to lab for test for UTI. She put me on Macrobid again. Seven days later and no improvement! The UTI test came back NEGATIVE! So, I have blood and white cells but no UTI and I took antibiotics for nothing! Now I have to take a day off from work to go to a urologist....and it's on my birthday no less..... so I'm a bit bummed and hope he doesn't hurt me!! Other than that, my energy level is getting somewhat better and I feel almost normal (except for the bladder thing). Take care everyone!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.