HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vivelle Generic? Vivelle Generic?

Unread 03-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Vivelle Generic?

I am confused. Is there a generic equivalent of the Vivelle Dot?

My insurance company wrote us a letter and said one of our medications had a generic version that we weren't using. And we had to start when this prescription ran out.

But they didn't tell us which one, and the pharmacist didn't think Vivelle had a generic equivalent?

They also didn't tell us if it was my med or my DH. And he takes a lot of different things.
Unread 03-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Vivelle Generic?

I've not heard of a generic for the Vivelle Dot. I have heard of a generic for some of the other patches. Perhaps you could give your insurance company a call and ask which med they are referring to?

Unread 03-09-2005, 05:44 AM
calling the insurance company

Thanks Kim, I thought of that, but you obviously have never called my insurance company!

It is retired military insurance and I would need to take a day off of work to do that-and take some calming type drugs!
Unread 03-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Vivelle Generic?

There is no generic for the Vivelle dot, but some insurance companies try to claim that the generic estradiol patches are generic for any name brand patch (Vivelle dot, Climara, etc.).

I don't think your insurance company can tell you you HAVE to use a generic, but they can reimburse you at a lower rate for using the name brand patches. Mine does that. IMHO it's worth paying extra to get the real thing because the generics are a very poor substitute.

One way to ensure that you still get the name brand patch is to have your DR write you a new prescription and put the words "No Substitutions" or "Dispense as Written" on it. You may end up paying more, but... at least you'll continue to get the same level of symptom relief you're accustomed to now.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
some companies

Thanks, that might be true for some insurance companies, but the retired military pharmacy contractors sent me a instruction sheet, and the doctor has to call them and give them the reasons why it is medically necessary. They have to approve it before I can get it filled. They listed 3 reasons why it would be medically necessary and none of them were "because I want it!!"

If I don't do that I have to pay the whole amount-they won't pay any of it. I have no idea how much it costs.

My doc thinks I need to try a generic first and then he would have reasons why it didn't work, if it doesn't. I am having trouble now getting the testosterone right, so don't want to mess with it-I have enough Vivelle patches to last another month or two.

Again I say
Unread 03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Vivelle Generic?

Hmm.... well, my copay for the Vivelle dots is $30 a box (generic would be $10, so I pay $20 more for the name brand). I looked at a few online pharmacy sites, where you could do mail order, and saw prices ranging from $23 a box to $38 a box, which means if I had to pay for it myself I might conceivably save money

Something to think about if you don't want to use the generic.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Vivelle Generic?

I've have been on the generic form of Climara since 2 weeks post op, (was given 2 wks supply of brand at the hospital). Both has worked well except the generic would fall off after about 3-4 days. I contact my doctor who sent a letter to my insurance company which in turn sent me a letter stating I could use brand Climara. Generic form $5, brand $30.

When I went for my 6 wk appt we decided to give vivelle dot a try because of size. I haven't started them yet I'm going to finish out the generic Climara. My only concern now that since I've gotten a new Rx is: Will I have the same results? I haven't had any problems at all since surgery. No hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, or most important NO decrease in my sex drive!! My doctor said I shouldn't see any difference.

BTW, when I took the new Rx in, They said it don't have a generic form of v-dot and I could get it $30 for 3 month supply.

Denise
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Vivelle Generic?

I take two vivelle dot patches. (0.1 and .025) And I must say it helps with my insomnia,and mood swings but it raises my blood pressure and makes me retain fluid. I am still taking it but its not cheap!! I asked for a generic and was told there isnt one. I am now trying to figure out a way to get off the patches and still sleep!
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Vivelle Generic?

Den,
I was using climara (samples) x6weeks while I waited for my vivelle dot to come from my mail in pharmacy. I have to say.......I liked it better but the vivelle dot stick better! I did notice that with the clamara i felt better---much better. With vivelle I get kinda "sad", some warm surges now and then, headaches, and I am mostly tired. (not hot flashes--just "warm") I also now have high blood pressure and retain fluid. I asked my doc to keep me on the climara but she didnt want to and insisted on the vivelle dot because of strong family hx of breast ca. She said its "milder". Too bad because on climara I felt WONDERFUL and actually felt NORMAL again. Good luck. Amy
Unread 03-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Vivelle Generic?

PraireLakeLady,
I'm using the Climara patch and I got on the internet and priced it at different pharmacies. THe cheapest I found it was at Wal-Mart for $37.84 for a box of 4 which is only $7.84 more than if my insurance paid for it. To me it is worth the extra! My mom has been on the generic form of Climara and hated them. When I told her the price at WalMart she got them refilled there with the name brand and loves them. On the generic she was actually using 6-8 a month because they wouldn't stick. I haven't had a problem when the name brand sticking and so far I love the way I feel.
As far as Vivelle dot, I would look on some of the pharmacy websites like WalMart, Walgreens, CVS, Target and compare prices. I was surprised to learn that my regular pharmacy, Walgreens, was almost $11 higher than Walmart on the Climara.
Good luck! lucy darlene

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.