HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

slow urine stream? slow urine stream?

Unread 03-09-2005, 01:21 PM
slow urine stream?

I had a TAH on 2/24 my recovery hs been good except for some problems with voiding.

I have had a nephectomy and my right ureter removed 30+ years ago and no further problems. I had trouble voiding while still in the castle and my catheter had to be reinserted. It turned ou I had no urine so I got more IV fluids and upped my clear liquid diet. Within 12 hours I was draining a lot of urine, and was able to pee easily.

I still have to pee frequently (every couple of hours) but I fell like I am sort of "trickling". Not a lot of force behind the stream It doesn't really hurt, but it feels sort of weird while I am going and I don't feel like my bladder is empty when I'm done.

Is this normal, will it get better? Is it worth calling my Dr or just wait for my 4 week check-up?

Thanks for any input.

Lisa
Unread 03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
slow urine stream?

Lisa,

You are still very early in your recovery, and things do take a bit of time to settle back to where they belong. However, it is always a good idea to check in with your doc....your peace of mind is worth a lot!

s to you!

Dee
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:43 AM
slow urine stream?

It is normal to have a slower stream for a while after a TAH. There is so much work done close to the bladder, plus there is a lot of swelling that has to go down. It can take a few months before the initial swelling goes away 100%. If, however, you feel like you aren't emtying your bladder repeatedly, then I would address that with your gyn or see a urologist. You don't want the muscle to get overstretched IF your are indeed not emptying it completely. Your regular doctor can even do a simple catheterization after urination to see how well you're emptying. The bladder is one of those muscles that is stubborn and will take it's own sweet time to get back to normal. Hang in there.

Unread 03-10-2005, 09:30 AM
slow urine stream?

after i had my myomectomy I initially needed a catheter as i managed to make the wound ooze by trying to force myself to pee. This catheter blocked and had to be removed after a few hours, but by then i could manage to make myself go.

However i became paranoid - and ended up once home, going to the loo too often, just to check i still could - and yes i remember it being a bit of trickle when i did pee, i guess internally all the muscles and nerves responsible are a bit traumatised and everything feels and acts a little differently to start with.

I think it probably took 2-3 weeks before i was confident of my bladders' ability and stopped stressing and focussing on it.

Do speak to a doc or nurse about it - just to reassure yourself, peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

I know i shall be here probably wanting the same reassurance myself in about 2 weeks time#

Take care

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway