HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

I smell.  I sweat. I never did before. HELP I smell. I sweat. I never did before. HELP

Unread 03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I smell. I sweat. I never did before. HELP

Hello all

This is going to sound nuts. I smell. Please don't say it is my imagination, it's not.

I am 12 weeks post op. I have started back to the gym, but I noticed it before I went back to the gym.

Before, I never sweated. At all. In the heat, in the gym, in a sauna. I never sweated. I have always got cold feet.

Since my TAH I smell sweaty. I have always showered in the morning and if I have cooked something smelly (anyone with long hair will understand) I shower or bath most nights. As a non smoker if we go somewhere smoking, I have to bath or shower as soon as we come home. I can't even sit in "my chair" if I smell smokey. And I am one of those people who HAVE to wash their hair in the morning. DH of 16 years still laughed at my bed head this morning, cause I am back to "normal routine".

Since 9 weeks post op I returned to the gym in the morning. DH comes in with coffee while I am still in bed, I look at it with one eye and say thank you. Knock on the door, DD comes in, I say bye to DD, (7.30am). I keep my gym gear in the drawer under the bed, so I HAVE to get the stuff out to get dressed before I get up. Get up, groan, don gym gear,(looking like a troll) go downstairs, telling dogs to get out the way while walking downstairs with one eye open, tell cats they been fed, groan, my morning are like clockwork! Do a bit of house work, get post on way to car, get in car, go to gym, work out, get showered, clean my teeth dressed and go to work. Then get to work have low cal soup and put my make up. This is what I have done for the last five years!!!!

NOW IS SMELL

About lunchtime I can smell me. By late afternoon I stink. After dinner I have a shower or a bath. I have hot flushes but I have been told that I have both my ovaries left. Should I get hot flushes? Should I smell sweaty?

Yesterday was no different. I showered in the morning after the gym. But last night I was too tired and did not bath in the evening. This morning in the gym there was this awful sweaty smell. I moved away from it. It followed me. IT WAS ME. I have never stunk before. What is happening to me?? I use antiperperant. I have never had this problem before.

Please don't think I am dirty, cause I am not. I shower at least once a day, every day. I have been known to shower three times a day in the summer if I am working in the garden. I have been known to wash under the hose in the garden BEFORE I have come inside to shower or bath.

Am I the only smelly sister?? What the hell can I do and why is this happening.

The hot flushes I can cope with. Stinking I cannot.

I dont have my post op check up till 2 weeks.

Please, any help will be greatfully received!!

MWAH
xx
Unread 03-10-2005, 03:54 PM

Hi!

Let me say first that I don't think you're nuts because I've noticed something peculiar since my TAH/BSO in 2003. I actually perspire less, but my sense of smell is much more acute than it was before the surgery. I've always had a "good sniffer", but now I can smell just about anything that's in the air. That's not bad for someone who has bigtime nasal allergies! I can even detect odors that I suspect are coming from my own body. When I've asked my daughter or husband if they can smell it, they claim they can't. My husband swears I'm hallucinating. You didn't mention if your family or friends can "smell you". Have you ever asked them? It might be worth a try. You might not be offending anyone but yourself!
Unread 03-10-2005, 04:05 PM

Your not nuts at all your just a little smell sensitive..I am to and this is what i use.. i use that new fabric softner from downey and i like that fem deo spray i cant think of what its called but its in the pad section of the store, because it just smells fresh and clean.
you can also try a body deo spray like primo .
When i smell i just call myself stinky and continue on!! But honestly try the new downey sents they all are so wonderfull and help me drift off to sleep(bonus)
Unread 03-10-2005, 04:06 PM

Thank you!!

What a bloody horrible thought, but one I will ask horrid 14 year old DD to do. I KNOW I will get a straight answer from the object who used to be my baby but will one day retract her horns and -be luv-er-ly again.

But I do smell, I can smell my clothes when I put them in the washer.

But what about the hot flushes???
Unread 03-10-2005, 04:09 PM

he he

What is downey scents????

I know what femfresh is, but it's not a fanny smell I have, its a good old fashion sweaty armpit smell!!!

Thanks!! xx Hey, never thought I'd smile about my smell xxx
Unread 03-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Oh no, just realised/wondered.

Goodness how can I say this??

When I say fanny I mean.......... er......... this is so embarrassing.......... er fanny......

In the UK your fanny is .... your fanny........
I think in the US your fanny is your backside......

Ok, I don't have a "front bottom" (term used by my friend to her daugher) smell nor a "back bottom"/ares smell. It's an under arm pit smell.

Fun.......... help me out here sisters!!

From the smelly one in UK!!
Unread 03-10-2005, 04:27 PM

Hi Blue Magic,
About this smell thing, I've noticed a difference too. I smell different. Not bad or good, just different than I used to. I have always had a sensitive nose. I can smell EVERYBODY, I could probably be trained as a bomb sniffer !!!! And I definitly smell different than I used to. One way to tell if it's you or your nose is to see if anyone else smells stronger. If everyone else stays the same it's probably you. I had my overies removed so I chalked it up to hormones, I use premerin HRT so I guess I should be glad I don't smell like a horse!!!! Are you eating anything different? Garlic? Cheese? Onions? Or maybe a suppliment? I'm guessing no one smells it but you. If you shower every day it doesn't have a chance to get strong. Doesn't hysterectomys make life interesting!!!
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:06 PM

Hi Blue Magic-
I've noticed this too! was NOT going to ask the doctor about THIS!!
I could go w/o deoderant in the winter months, but definately needed it in the summer.
well, all of a sudden, I started smelling ME!
and it wasn't pleasant.
Can't explain it, just notice it!

I use deoderant daily now, and make sure that I wear clean clothes daily, no more laziness...

mj
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:28 PM

:nose: Gosh, I was just like you guys for a while post-op! It drove me nuts! Also, like you guys, I have always had a very keen sense of smell. It wasn't a feminine odor or a perspiration odor, not quite metallic either. The closest thing I could say it smelled like is what your hands smell like if you've been handling money! (Weird, I know) I kept asking DH if I stunk and he'd say I was crazy. I used a lot of scented lotions to try to cover up the odd scent and he always said I just smelled like the lotion or Caress soap.
((Heidis)) It's interesting that you mentioned the Premarin, because for a while I thought it might be that.

Anyway.... it very slowly resolved - unless (Heaven-fobid) I still smell that way and I just have gotten so used to it that I no longer recognize it! After I stopped noticing it I wondered what changed that it was gone. The only thing I could think of was I'd been taking a stool softener each night, and maybe that was it?

I remember posting about my extra keen smeller and how foods didn't taste right, but I never admitted that I smelled weird.
It's always nice to know we're not alone.

Beth
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Here's another Stinky Sister...and I sweat more now too...deoderant/anti-persperant doesn't seem to help at all. I kept both my ovaries, so I'm not sure what the heck is going on...it's not really a bum smell, "front" side smell, or sweaty smell...just a different one. I wouldn't say it's totally offensive, but it still grosses me out COMPLETELY! DH says he can't smell anything, but boy oh boy I can...even about 3-4 hours after I shower!

I too shower at least once a day...?????

Well....at least we can all STINK together!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.