HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Thickened Uterus Lining Thickened Uterus Lining

Unread 03-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Thickened Uterus Lining

Hello ladies,

Can anyone help me please? My friend has just had a vaginal ultrasound done and they've told her the uterus lining is thickened. This brings back terrible memories for me, as last year I had a vaginal ultrasound done and was told the same thing. Mine resulted in weeks of tests as cancer was a strong possibility, but thankfully ended up being severe atypical.

Does anyone know of any reasons, other than possible cancer, why the lining would be thickened.

Thanks for any advice.

Geraldine
Unread 03-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Thickened Uterus Lining

From what little I know, and I'm no doctor here, an excess of estrogen may cause proliferation of endometrial cells. The cells may be normal, or they may start to change. I had a thickening of the endometrium where the cells were PRE-cancerous...complex hyperplasia with atypia. I would imagine the next step for your friend will be some sort of biopsy or D&C to see what those pesky cells are doing. After my surgery, a tiny bit of cancer was found and eliminated so it turned out good for me that I didn't wait as I'd wanted to. Long story short -- it may not be cancer at all!! Good luck,
Unread 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Thickened Uterus Lining

Thanks Jonan for your reply. Hopefully all will turn out well for my friend.

Also, I forgot to ask, if this turns out not to be cancer, what is the treatment for thickened uterus lining?

Sorry for all the questions

Geraldine
Unread 03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Thickened Uterus Lining

Hi, I had an Ultrasound that showed thickened uterine lining. I was due a hyster anyway, cos of prolapes all over and family cancer risks.

My doc. didn't say too much re the thickened lining, except that if we hadn't been going for the hyster, he'd have done a lot more tests.

My uterus did not show cancer cells.

I do think hormone pills (like b.c. pills) can change the uterine lining; as can a UID or IUS.

Do u know how thick the uterine lining was?
Love
H
Unread 03-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Thickened Uterus Lining

Hi hjhope,

I don't know how thick the lining is, my friend only had the ultrasound done two weeks ago and just had the results. She's got to be referred to a gyn now.

I'll post again when she's seen the gyn.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Geraldine
Unread 03-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Thickened Uterus Lining

I had an US to find out if I had thickening lining and was referred to a gyn also. My PCP kept mentioning over and over that I was at a higher risk for endometrial cancer due to being overweight and I had horrible periods (which he told me to get used to at my age) which were making me anemic.

Had the US, and lining was thickened. Went to gyn and she did endometrial biopsy, (which to me wasn't that bad) and the following week I went back for results and pap. Everything was fine and I was then scheduled for D&C and ablation. The D&C went fine, the ablation failed. But they did not find anything cancerous either with the biopsy or when they examined the tissue scraped from the D&C.

Due to the heavy bleeding, anemia, failed ablation, etc it was recommended I have a hyst and I agreed. I would do it again in a heartbeat, I feel soooooooooo MUCH better now
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Thickened Uterus Lining

2 months before I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer I had had a CT scan for a different reason. The scan report came back negative for the original purpose but did note that I had a thickening of the uterus. This report came from my primary physician. He never bothered to refer me to a Gyn. Only after spotting in the following weeks did I take the initiative and bring the spotting to the attention of my Gyn. So what I'm saying is tell your friend to take the thickening of her uterus seriously and go to her Gyn for a followup. anna

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.