HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Painful intercourse after vaginal vault prolapse sx. Painful intercourse after vaginal vault prolapse sx.

Unread 03-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Painful intercourse after vaginal vault prolapse sx.

I had my 6 wk post op appotintment last Fri. and was released to have intercourse. That night we tried and OWIE!:cry: The next morning I called my dr's office and the nurse said it is common to have pain at first after this surgery...alot was done. She did say to wait a week and try again...that it should get better each time. I use Premarin cream twice a week and have been since the surgery. I have added Replens and we did use plenty of Astroglide. Everything seemed so much smaller! Like there was just no room at all! Anybody else experience this and if so what were some things you did that helped?

Thanks!

Sherry
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:46 PM

Hi Sherry,

I had alot of the same repairs you had and intercourse was difficult the first few times. I waited until about week 8 or 10 to start and went REAL slow.
It got easier as time went on.
Being on top was the best position so you can control penetration.
I have a question for you. Before your surgery did they do any tests to evaluate your prolapses?
Thanks!

Jan
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:50 AM

Hi Sherry,

I had enterocele, cystocele, rectocele & vault suspension done on 3/2. I have the same concern - will sex hurt after all these repairs? I asked my treasure of a doctor & he told me that intercource will be painful if I develop granulation (I know what that is - I had some after my hyster). Well, he didn't quite get it, I guess I wasn't specific enough. Don't they realize that our concern is that, with everything being tighter & moved up, over etc. etc. that we want to know if having sex is going to HURT!!!
Men, be they doctors, lawyers or indian chiefs are sometimes completely clueless...but I love them anyway!!! I guess I have to wait & find out for myself - talk about being more nervous than the "first time". This surgery will make the 3rd "first time" for me! I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it sure makes for an interesting life! Take care * keep us posted!
Unread 03-14-2005, 08:39 AM

Hi Sherry and Diana
I can answer from my own experience only. I only had a enterocele and rectocele repaired 7 weeks ago. The first time was tight and uncomfortable. we used ky gel, it seemed to help, but I still couldn't feel much of a sensation in there. I was very dry and felt swollen before we got out the ky. Last night we tried again. I didn't use the ky because it irritated me for several days after the first try. I was so dry again and tight. Even with alot of stimulation it was a rough go. My DH was very caring, and didn't push the matter. Once he was finally inside it got uncomfortable for me. I didn't tell him though. It was so tight, just like I was a virgin again. I still couldn't feel the sensation of what comes and I definately can't reach the big O anymore. I know it may just take more time and I am willing to wait.
Three weeks from today I will b e under the scapel again anyway. Hopefully once that is over and I am completely healed and less stressed things will get better.
Go slowly and give it time. We've had alot of work done in there.

take care
Peggy
Unread 03-14-2005, 04:32 PM

Boy huntingandmoon, I know what you mean about the men and dr's not getting it!! It's like, DUH!!! The dr. takes this huge gaping hole with our insides hanging out of it, pulls it all up and we are totally like virgins again less the hymen. It makes me sooo nervous, which I am sure didn't help matters any. The next time we try I will be even more lubed and I may suck down a few glasses of wine to relax.

Jan, my urogynecologist said my prolapses were stage 3 but more because of the vaginal prolapse itself than anything. He had me do way more than my gyn did to evaluate everything. He had me bear down and then he checked everything while I was standing too which I think really helps them to trully see what is going on. He told me my vaginal prolapse was a result of the vaginal hyst I had in 2001, no question. To tell you the truth, I thought I researched everything before my hyst, but I think I had really just skimmed the surface. If I would have known then what I know now I would have had my ovaries removed at the time of the hyst and I think I would have opted for a laparoscopic surgery. No use crying over spilt milk...you live and you learn, but maybe it will help someone else. The urogyn also did a urodynamics test, but he also does some things right before he begins the surgery to confirm the test. He said every time he pushed on my bladder I leaked, but the urodynamics test was ok. Thus, the sling. He is very thourough so as not to have to go back in to do more. Another thing I wish my gyn would have done. What I could have had done in one surgery I had to have 3 to do. I had stage 2 rectocele before the hyst which became a stage 3 when the vagina prolapsed. Wish my gyn would have fixed the rectocele and reattached the uterosacral ligaments during the hyst. (I know...I am rambling...sorry)

Peggy, you are right I think going slow with the sexual encounters in the only way to go. Sorry to hear you have to have another surgery. Do you mind if I ask what? All these surgeries are alot to go through so you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care!

Sherry
Unread 03-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Hi Sherry
I have to have a tvt (urethreal suspension) for stress incontinence. I also have a small cystocele , but hope this may keep it from getting bigger. I won't know until it happens I guess.
The surgery to correct a cystocele is a anterior repair. I hope to never need one.Four surgeries in eleven months is more than I counted on, but it will soon be behind me.

Peggy
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:30 AM

Sherry....Thank you for the info on your presurgery evaluation.

Peggy.......You are smart to try and avoid a cystocele repair if at all possible. I had one and wish I hadn't.

Jan
Unread 03-15-2005, 09:09 AM

janide - do you mind if i ask why you regret it?
Unread 03-15-2005, 02:53 PM

Jan,

I also am curious as to why you regret having your cystocele repair?

Sherry
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:04 PM

I have learned that Cystocele repairs can damage important nerves and tissue in the vagina.
The nerves that can be harmed are important for intercourse and the damaged tissue can create uncomfortable scarring.
The urethra and bladder are really sensitive and should be repaired only if all conservative treatment has failed.
Vaginas don't like to be disturbed by surgery either and if I ever need more repairs they will be done with a laparoscope!

Jan

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.