Are my symptoms bad enough? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are my symptoms bad enough? Are my symptoms bad enough?

Unread 03-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Are my symptoms bad enough?

My hyst is scheduled in a month, but I've been reading some dreadful horror stories on here lately, and I start to think:

I only bleed for 7 days, 2 sort of heavy, 2 medium, 3 light. Periods are every 28 days. I don't GET cramps. They say cancer is unlikely. I don't have prolapse. I can get thru a whole night without peeing.

Well, what the heck ARE my symptoms, you may ask? I have a bunch of big fibroids, and lately I would say they are causing constipation, occasional mild backache, burping fits, hunger, feelings of being drained from period, fatigue, some shortness of breath during period and nerves and depression when I get too fatigued. (These symptoms seem to be from a combination of anemia & PMS.) I did have a period of panic attacks and rapid weight loss, but I got that under control with iron pills, proper eating, parasite treatment and breathing & relaxation exercises.

I feel intense pain from ordinary bumps etc. I seem to have heightened pain sensitivity. Even thinking about pain stresses me out. Is there anyone else like that? Should I really have an operation? Is there any reason I should be one of the unlucky ones? I'm not overweight, I don't have diabetes or asthma, don't smoke or do drugs, not on pain pills, no prior abdominal surgery, never had a kid. Keeping ovaries.

It seems the people more likely to have problems had worse problems before the surgery, a particularly difficult surgery, or they overdid their recovery.

I did have mild pancreatitis once, and Percoset worked fine.

I guess I'm just venting, but if anyone has any advice I'd be glad to hear it.

I wonder if I should just wait for the drugs to come out (see my other post on this site.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2005, 06:14 PM

The question of whether our symptoms are bad enough plagues a lot of us and there really is no right or wrong answer. Most hysterectomies are elective, in the sense that the woman has no cancer or emergency situation. That makes it more difficult to decide what to do. It would be easier for our mental health if the doctor would just say it was necessary. Leaving it up to us makes the decision much harder. And it is such a personal decision. No two women are the same.

I think the best thing you can do is become well educated. Read about your symptoms and possible solutions, talk to your doctor, consider alternatives and then decide from there. You'll feel more comfortable with your decision once you've looked at all the options and chosen the right one for you.

Good luck as you make your decision.

Ashley
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:34 PM

Hi Purplesea,

I agree with Ashley. For most, a hyst is an elective surgery. There in itself can be the conflict for some ladies. Me included. Why do it??

I think ~all~ us Hyster Sisters go through some doubting moments. I sure did!! I did (3) months of lupron shots in pre-op to shrink my fibroids enough for my LSH, a less invasive hyst. As my fibroid size started to decrease, I felt better overall. I started to ask myself, "Do I need to go ahead with a hyst??" And then I would remember what my Dr said. "If I did not go ahead with my hyst after the lupron shots, my fibroids would grow back. Possibly larger." Uggghhh...I could not turn off what he said.

Today, I am 11 months post-op and doing good. No more fibroid pressure, no more b.c. and no more aunt flows. The one thing I have more then anything is my QUALITY OF LIFE back. My pre-op health issues always went back to my fibroids.

And would I do my LSH again with the lupron shots?? In a second to have what I have now.

You mentioned new fibroid drugs on the horizon. I agree. I hope they come along and help future ladies so they do not have to have a hyst. For me, I had a "window of opportunity" to have a less invasive hyst and I felt if I had waited I would have not been a candidate for a LSH.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2005, 07:01 PM

purplesea, did your doctor investigate myomectomy for you? The procedure is often easier if no other organs are involved yet (like bladder or wrapping around your bowels).

I waited until things were bad for me, until I couldn't go 2 hours without peeing - I was buying larger clothes to accomodate my belly, I stopped much of my exercise routines.

I think taking care of it while you still have more options is a good idea - and myomectomy or UFE might still be. And, as historylady mentioned, some women are able to have theirs done laproscopically (with or without lupron).

If you're still having some trepidation, you might want to hold off or use this time to investigate the other options.

Take care.
Unread 03-16-2005, 01:47 PM

purplesea, In your case the surgery is entirely elective. None of your symptoms will kill you. You will probably find that some of your symptoms will still be with you after surgery. You will most likely still have mild occassional backaches, burping fits, hunger, constipation, and times when you feel drained. Sorry to break this to you. You don't mention how old you are but periods of anxiety can start with the perimenopausal years and last up to 10 years.

You may be happy after your surgery, just try not to have unrealistic expectations. I don't know how far out you are from menopause, but most (not all) fibroids shrink after menopause. Mine did.

In your case looking over the list of complications and comparing these to the symptoms that can definately be attributed to your fibrioids (painful heavy periods) should help you in deciding whether of not the risks of surgery are less than the perceived benefits. While hysterectomy is thought to be a 'relatively' safe surgery, you have a 1/100 chance of damage to your ureters, 1/100 chance of damage to your bladder, similiar chance of infection, ect.
Unread 03-17-2005, 08:58 AM

purplesea,

You have to trust your own instinct on this one. The more you read the more opinions you'll find but the thing that's most important is how you feel every day and whether your decision will better your quality of life.

I am 2 weeks post op for a TAH and I don't regret my decision at all. My symptoms increased rapidly after my 9 centimeter fibroid was found. It took one frightening period for me to start considering my options and by the time I got to my surgery date I was in so much pain that I couldn't wait for the operation.

I had no idea that my condition would go downhill as fast as it did because afterall a heavy period is something many women live with. But something told me that I needed to take care of this situation and I think it was just instinct and knowing myself and my body and what I was comfortable with.

Good luck!
Unread 03-18-2005, 04:58 AM

HI purplesea

I do not have any experience with fibroids but wanted to share some articles that may be helpful. Fibroids

You can also find some information at www.thefibroidplace.com

If you are not completely sure of your decision to have a hysterectomy, then it might be a good idea to do some more research and see if there are other options available for your condition.

Best Wishes and hopefully you will find your answer.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register